Horsehair Brush

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Style Pontifex, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Style Pontifex

Style Pontifex Senior member

After applying shoe cream and letting it dry, what are you supposed to do with the horsehair brush? Do you wipe/buff with a cloth before using the horsehair brush, or do you use a horsehair brush instead of using a cloth?

2. Imperator

Imperator Senior member

After applying shoe cream and letting it dry, what are you supposed to do with the horsehair brush? Do you wipe/buff with a cloth before using the horsehair brush, or do you use a horsehair brush instead of using a cloth?

I have some brushes, but I have more success getting a high shine with a soft cloth.

3. aKula

aKula Senior member

I use the brush before the cloth.

4. beasty

beasty Senior member

I notice if you use the brush before the cloth, you can see specks of left over shoe cream on the shoes. So I wipe off with cloth and use the brush.

I have to add I wonder whether there is a discernible difference between using a horsehair or synthetic hair brush.

5. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

+1. I brush, then buff with a cloth, and finish with a silk sock or tie.

6. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

Moist cotton balls. Mirror shine in ~10 minutes.

7. anon

anon Senior member

How much pressure are you supposed to use with the brush? Is it a soft brushing or can you put a bit of muscle into it to get that stuff off of the shoe?

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Care to elaborate? I've never heard of this technique. You apply the polish with whatever, and then use the moist cotton balls to buff it out? Are the cotton balls the only thing you use?

9. jcc123

jcc123 Senior member

Sorry, I HATE spit shines. If I want my shoes to look like patent leather I'd go buy patent leather.

But to answer the OP, use horsehair brush to buff the shoes. Put some elbow grease into it. It will make the shoes look like you've just bought it from the store. If you notice that new shoes aren't shiny, it has more of a dull shine. That's what a horsehair brush will give you.

10. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Senior member

Sorry, I HATE spit shines. If I want my shoes to look like patent leather I'd go buy patent leather.

But to answer the OP, use horsehair brush to buff the shoes. Put some elbow grease into it. It will make the shoes look like your just bought it from the store. If you notice that new shoes aren't shiny, it has more of a dull shine. That's what a horsehair brush will give you.

Brushes are used to remove the excess polish, the cloth is used to buff afterwards.

11. jcc123

jcc123 Senior member

Brushes are used to remove the excess polish, the cloth is used to buff afterwards.

What I'm saying is that you can skip the buffing part if you just use your brush to buff. Try it sometime.

BTW, I use only shoe cream. No shoe wax. Wax works both ways. It keeps your leather sealed from the elements but it also keeps it from breathing as it traps your sweat in your shoes. The salt in your sweat will build up overtime in the leather if you don't let it breath leading to cracking.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I brush then buff with a soft cloth.

13. Style Pontifex

Style Pontifex Senior member

What I'm saying is that you can skip the buffing part if you just use your brush to buff. Try it sometime.

BTW, I use only shoe cream. No shoe wax. Wax works both ways. It keeps your leather sealed from the elements but it also keeps it from breathing as it traps your sweat in your shoes. The salt in your sweat will build up overtime in the leather if you don't let it breath leading to cracking.

Yeah, I only use conditioners and creams for my dress shoes. I do use wax for work boots, though.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Oh, but someone did allude to an interesting question: synthetic vs. real horsehair bristles. Is there a difference?

14. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

interesting

15. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

How does sweat get on the outside of the shoe?[​IMG]