• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

horrible informational interview

Milpool

Reaction score
I had a talk with someone in my industry. Basically trying to find a position that is a better fit for me.

I was told that I need to get it out of my head that my experience and education and accomplishments are of value. I will be stuck hating life for as long as it takes for the more senior people to die, because with the economy the way it is, none of them are retiring any time soon.

I guess at least he was honest.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's probably right. Everyone is replaceable and most managers don't give a flying s#!t about their employees / team.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can you warn us away from where the guy works?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
It is rather depressing to think about.

Nah it's fine. Just think of it as "work"

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is rather depressing to think about.

Booze can help this.
Weed too, but you might forget where you parked your car.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He has a point; 5 Men start with degrees, in 5 years time they all have 5 years experience and education. Who gets the job?

What sets you apart are you skills and personality. Go after industry awards, write articles for your industry magazines (As long as you're not utterly marsupialed most publications welcome free copy), make a difference, and then start telling people you're different.

Until you stand out, you're just another ant walking in line with the rest of us.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Nah it's fine. Just think of it as "work"

Yep. If it was fun, interesting or fulfilling it would have some other name.

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
He has a point; 5 Men start with degrees, in 5 years time they all have 5 years experience and education. Who gets the job?

What sets you apart are you skills and personality. Go after industry awards, write articles for your industry magazines (As long as you're not utterly marsupialed most publications welcome free copy), make a difference, and then start telling people you're different.

Until you stand out, you're just another ant walking in line with the rest of us.

His point was that there is just no room for the folks on my level to move up or progress. Doesn't matter one bit what I've done to set myself apart from everyone else with xyz qualifications.

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Yep. If it was fun, interesting or fulfilling it would have some other name.

I really don't see how either comment is applicable.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Good news, Milpool, the bailouts have saved our economy from depression!

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Booze can help this.
Weed too, but you might forget where you parked your car.

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
It does wonders.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What industry is this? Unless it's something like zero gravity toilet bowls or king's eunuchs, most industries are not so small or specialized that it would take the deaths of a few people in the world for you to ever grow.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was told that I need to get it out of my head that my experience and education and accomplishments are of value. I will be stuck hating life for as long as it takes for the more senior people to die, because with the economy the way it is, none of them are retiring any time soon.

Sounds like you had lunch with StyleForum.

highball

Reaction score
Sounds like you just met with the wrong guy. I had an informational interview last week with a guy who basically told me the exact opposite. Based solely on the education and experience on my resume he wants to hire me down the road if and when he has more deals that pencil.

My advice for informational interviews: seek out people with backgrounds as similar as possible to your own who are working in the field you are interested in. These people are much more likely to be impressed by your background and to be your advocate when they hear about opportunities that might fit you. Particularly if you are a career changer like me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads