Horn buttons online

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Sep 28, 2006.

1. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Does anyone know where I could source horn buttons online? Thanks in advance.

2. thinman

thinman Senior member

You might try these sources: http://www.customshirt1.com/PearlButtons.htm http://www.ascuteasabutton.com/suitbuttons.html http://www.waterburybutton.com/ http://www.urbanstyle.net/localScene...er/default.htm I've never used any of them, so I can't vouch for them, but the first link is Alexander Kabbaz and includes horn suit buttons in addition to MOP shirt buttons. The last link has telephone numbers at the bottom for Tender Buttons in NYC, though I couldn't find their website (thought I had it bookmarked).

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Tender has a decent selection of horn, and most of the Weldon line, which is what nearly all of SR uses. For some reason, I can't find the website for Textile King in London; they sell buttons too.

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

If you're just after enough for one suit/sportcoat I would suggest hitting a few thrift stores and harvesting buttons from a high quality cast off like Oxxford, etc. It will be a lot cheaper than buying new.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

6. Manton

If you're just after enough for one suit/sportcoat I would suggest hitting a few thrift stores and harvesting buttons from a high quality cast off like Oxxford, etc. It will be a lot cheaper than buying new.
    A lot cheaper? The most a set of horn buttons for one coat will cost is $25.

7. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Tender has a decent selection of horn, and most of the Weldon line, which is what nearly all of SR uses. For some reason, I can't find the website for Textile King in London; they sell buttons too.

Does Tender have online presence?

8. Manton

If they do, I have never seen the site. You could probably call them and get them to send you whatever you want.

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I've paid about $5 for a moth-ridden Oxxford, but $25 isn't bad, and you would have more selection, obviously.

10. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I'm dropping by there today. I can get you some if you'd like. A set of horns for a jacket will cost you $28.75

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

You'll probably need to double that figure to get the better horn buttons at TB.

12. Manton

You'll probably need to double that figure to get the better horn buttons at TB.
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "better". Weldon front buttons are $3.25, sleeve buttons $2.25. So two front and eight sleeve = $25. They have cheaper horn buttons than Weldon; perhaps they have more expensive ones too, but I personally would not see the need.

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I guess it depends on what you mean by "better".
    Sorry, I meant better as it relates to their price structure. Generally, the Italian made buttons are pricier. I paid $5.50/$3.50 for my last set. I think that buttons are often given short shrift by makers so I have a tendency to upgrade, but I also think I may have a button fetish.[​IMG]

14. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

If they do, I have never seen the site. You could probably call them and get them to send you whatever you want.

Is it customary for the suit jacket buttons to match those of the suit trousers?

15. Manton

Is it customary for the suit jacket buttons to match those of the suit trousers?
    No. Visible trouser buttons (e.g., on the back pocket(s)) are traditionally smoked MOP.