• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horizontal Striped Suit

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Anyone ever see one? I wonder what this would look like. Probably pretty awful. But I'd love to see a picture if anyone can find one.

Dan

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen corduroy pants with horizontal wale. Cool. Different.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
I've seen cords with wales at about a 45 degree angle. What about a suit like that? I think with a thin enough pinstripe, that could totally work if the stripes all marged toward the center of the torso.

Dan

Mr_Sweden

Reaction score
Anyone ever see one?  I wonder what this would look like.  Probably pretty awful.  But I'd love to see a picture if anyone can find one.

Dan
I've seen one. TV-producer Mark Burnett was wearing one when he was on The O'Reilly Factor the other week. It looked weird. However, the pinstripes on the lapels were not horizontal.

/Mr S

jester

Reaction score
ISTR that in the movie The Avengers--by all accounts, unwatchable--the Ralph Fiennes character wore a pinstripe suit with only the waistcoat having the pinstripes oriented horizontally.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've seen cords with wales at about a 45 degree angle.  What about a suit like that?  I think with a thin enough pinstripe, that could totally work if the stripes all marged toward the center of the torso.

Dan
Richard Anderson of Savile Row makes those. Somewhere on here or AA, there is a picture of Scott wearing one in DB.

For horizontal, there was an early M*A*S*H show that had Hawkeye and Trapper going to Tokyo or Seoul for R&R and ordering suits from a cheap tailor-- then finding out the hard way that he liked horizontal chalk stripes.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Kinda Gordon Gekko gone wild.
tounge.gif

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw some Valentini cords in the horizontal, kinda neat.

For a suit I guess I'd have to see it - being 5'8" 200 lbs I'm afraid I would look even more like a major home appliance than I already do - vertical stripes tend to give me longer lines.

Hmmm... Maybe I'll try turning my head sideways after a few beers and check out my pinstriped suits.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Yeah, the cuffs are weird, but I gotta say, I dig the waistcoat. I think a whole suit like that might actually look pretty damn cool.
Ok, who's going bespoke on this one to be the guinea pig? Not it.

Dan

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cuffs aren't just weird - they're horrible. He looks like a kid trying to fit in his dad's clothes. Are we really supposed to take him seriously?

The answer to that, is, of course, No.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The cuffs aren't just weird - they're horrible.  He looks like a kid trying to fit in his dad's clothes.  Are we really supposed to take him seriously?

The answer to that, is, of course, No.
Maybe that was a stunt suit? I know a place in NY that provided suits for a movie that involved a shoot-out in a subway car. They needed about 4 suits for each of the actors, and the producers weren't too fussy about getting the fit right for each take, since the shot was very often just someone face down in a pool of blood. So someone who fit a 42L might find himself using a 44L for one take while they cleaned the other.

Of course, they didn't use those other suits in the publicity stills...

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen a photo of a Tommy Nutter suit with closely-spaced horizontal stripes - not bad, but I think I'd prefer a windowpane check instead. Versace did some diagonally-striped suits a while back:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads