• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hooray for shoe trees

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there may be more, and these are priced only for the true shoe-Appreciation enthusiasts, but just picked up a pair of shoe trees on ebay from RLPL. I believe the seller has more in other sizes; nice hardwood, hinged in the middle.

item 5357037730
seller ice*station*zebra

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I don't like the RLPL shoe trees. I much prefer the "regular" EG ones.

koji

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a taste for antique hardwood trees. The second pair I bought broke while inserting into my Chelsea boots, but remain functional with a little Elmer's glue. My vintage Florsheim's fit my Lobbs almost perfectly, while I have a load of superb condition Yugoslavian trees en route that fit my C&Js and Greens extremely well. $100 for a little wood and varnish is just too pricey for me.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Concerning shoe trees, is there a benefit to a hardwood that isn't present in cedar? I wouldn't think so, but I certainly don't mind paying extra if the trees are made very well, as many of the older ones were.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Hardwood antique trees

On materials
1) Cedar is more absorbent than hardwood.  Some complain "dries out" their shoes during prolonged storage.  I've never had this happen.
2) Cedar is softer and more prone to chipping or cracking.  I've had this happen with two different pairs. I also stepped on a tree in the middle of the night and broke the handle.

Why I choose hardwood antique:
1) Aesthetics, the old trees just look better in the shoes.
2) Assymetrical lasting--the old, hardwood trees are generally cut & constructed to a shape that approximates the last of the original shoes--or at least moreso than my cedar trees.
3) Support through the instep.  See above.  I know that Rochester/AE/Woodlore offers a model that provides support through the instep, but those versions retail for almost $30 and are rarely seen on Ebay for less than $20.
4) Cost: About the same for vintage trees as their cedar counterparts.
*5) the novelty of owning an antique.  Not as a cool as a burled walnut end-table from the 19th century, but far better than a beat-up Rochester box at Marshall's.

Oh, and the guy I'm buying from has 2 size 9's left in stock.  I can probably get them for $30-35 (or less??) shipped to your door.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Hardwood antique trees

On materials
1) Cedar is more absorbent than hardwood.  Some complain "dries out" their shoes during prolonged storage.  I've never had this happen.
2) Cedar is softer and more prone to chipping or cracking.  I've had this happen with two different pairs. I also stepped on a tree in the middle of the night and broke the handle.

Why I choose hardwood antique:
1) Aesthetics, the old trees just look better in the shoes.
2) Assymetrical lasting--the old, hardwood trees are generally cut & constructed to a shape that approximates the last of the original shoes--or at least moreso than my cedar trees.
3) Support through the instep.  See above.  I know that Rochester/AE/Woodlore offers a model that provides support through the instep, but those versions retail for almost $30 and are rarely seen on Ebay for less than $20.
4) Cost: About the same for vintage trees as their cedar counterparts.
*5) the novelty of owning an antique.  Not as a cool as a burled walnut end-table from the 19th century, but far better than a beat-up Rochester box at Marshall's.

Oh, and the guy I'm buying from has 2 size 9's left in stock.  I can probably get them for $30-35 (or less??) shipped to your door.
Right.  And if one of the purposes of the cedar is to draw the moisture, and hardwood isn't very good at that, then I would think that hardwood would be a drawback.  But of course, I've seen the lobb bespoke trees in hardwood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads