• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hooking up powered monitors to a vintaeg reciever ?

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a cool vintage receiver for myself recently and I want to hook up my powered Event studio monitors to it (1/4" connection). The receivers speaker outs only has the old speaker wire clasps, so that doesnt work for my monitors. However, there are two RCA connections labeled 'REC OUT' - Im assuming this is for a tape recorder hookup, now my question is - is it possible, and safe to get some RCA to 1/4 jack cables and hook up my monitors directly from the REC OUT ?

Any help is appreciated!

turboman808

Reaction score
I was almost gonna say this will work fine. But it won't. If you went out of the rec you wouldn't have volume control.

I just tired hooking up my Mackie powered speakers to my LCD tv audio out to see if it would work. Sadly it doesn't.

But thats ok I just looking into getting a old tube amp with remote volume control added. If I have to have a receiver may as well have one that looks cool.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can use a speaker-level to line-level converter so you can hook up your speaker outputs to the inputs of your powered monitors. Quality probably won't be great, but they're cheap and readily available.

--Andre

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't even know those existed.
I'll try that out, thanks!

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y do you think this would work ?

pRS1C-2266509w345.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103854

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
do you think this would work ?
Not sure what that is...is it a headphone adapter?

If so, then sure...if your vintage receiver has a headphone jack, then it is a line out, and almost certainly adjusted by the volume control, and connected to your input selector....albeit one that was specifically designed to drive headphones...not amplifier inputs. It will work...how great it sounds is anybody's guess.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a mixer with some line level inputs and control room outputs, you can run the REC OUT to the line in and use the control room out to control the volume of the speakers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads