• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

hookah?

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any fans?

i bought a small glass one to spice up my dorm room

it goes well with a scotch on ice, especially in humid louisiana weather

the room is filled with smoke and i am heavily buzzed

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest getting a taller one at some point - it greatly increases the quantity and quality (coolness) of the smoke. Also, if you havent yet, keep looking around (online) to find premium sheesha. Most of the stuff you'd find at the local head shop has little flavor. Enjoy!

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, put the hookah on something like a little table, if you have people below you. Hookas make an obnoxious sound when the bubble against floor boards.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It used to be an occasional pleasure at bars before the city of Seattle banned indoor smoking in public places. Infuriating.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
any fans?

i bought a small glass one to spice up my dorm room

it goes well with a scotch on ice, especially in humid louisiana weather

the room is filled with smoke and i am heavily buzzed

Id be real careful smoking that thing. Not much of a base on it no?

I've got 1/2 dozen or so hookahs, mostly purchase because i liked the way they look, but I do smoke them now and again. Best one I ever got was a 4+ footer from a head shop in NYC. Beautiful turkish pipe made all from aluminum. It was actually the owners hookah that he brought back from turkey but was willing to part with for a reasonable price.

I hear what the other poster is saying about putting it on a table to be polite but I think they are actually supposed to stay on the floor.

True story.......I had a 3+ footer going on my desk while i was writing. Somehow I managed to tip the thing over and the hot coal feel perfectly from the top of the bowl down the back of my shirt!!! Holy crap did that hurt.

DL

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
Id be real careful smoking that thing. Not much of a base on it no?

I've got 1/2 dozen or so hookahs, mostly purchase because i liked the way they look, but I do smoke them now and again. Best one I ever got was a 4+ footer from a head shop in NYC. Beautiful turkish pipe made all from aluminum. It was actually the owners hookah that he brought back from turkey but was willing to part with for a reasonable price.

I hear what the other poster is saying about putting it on a table to be polite but I think they are actually supposed to stay on the floor.

True story.......I had a 3+ footer going on my desk while i was writing. Somehow I managed to tip the thing over and the hot coal feel perfectly from the top of the bowl down the back of my shirt!!! Holy crap did that hurt.

DL

Certainly, you must be careful, however, in a dorm setting its very impolite to subjugate other people to the noise that hookahs make...

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also if you are going to be sharing hoses with people, sitting it on a lazy susan is a great idea.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Also, put the hookah on something like a little table, if you have people below you. Hookas make an obnoxious sound when the bubble against floor boards.

Perhaps it depends on the individual pipe, but generally they are not particularly loud.

For those who prefer to be culturally correct, the shisha should be placed on the floor, as it is to be considered an object of servitude. Although the rule is occasionally broken for the sake of convenience, I am something of a traditionalist and prefer to keep it on the floor.

For ma'assal, I highly recommend Tangiers; outstanding, top quality tobacco.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
Perhaps it depends on the individual pipe, but generally they are not particularly loud. For those who prefer to be culturally correct, the shisha should be placed on the floor, as it is to be considered an object of servitude. Although the rule is occasionally broken for the sake of convenience, I am something of a traditionalist and prefer to keep it on the floor. For ma'assal, I highly recommend Tangiers; outstanding, top quality tobacco.
Al Fakher is the nicest I've smoked, and I've smoked my share. Nakhla is fine as well (and they actually make my favorite double apple, which is my favorite smoke for nostalgic reasons). I also recommend Three Kings coals for a nice even burn. Always put it on the floor if you're smoking with people actually from the Middle East as some might find it offensive if the hookah is elevated (especially if they would be on the floor...).

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
For those who prefer to be culturally correct, the shisha should be placed on the floor, as it is to be considered an object of servitude. Although the rule is occasionally broken for the sake of convenience, I am something of a traditionalist and prefer to keep it on the floor.

Or more specifically, below the people using it.

Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Reaction score
I love the hookah, now I can go to the bars since I'm eighteen; most cities that banned indoor smoking allow hookahs indoor (at least in my city).

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hookahs are great, my favorite flavor would have to be peaches, followed closely by raspberry and pina colada. My only recommendation is to keep it clean, as it will clog really fast if you add anything other than tobacco, and still quickly with just tobacco.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also highly reccomend Starbuzz brand's Irish Cream tobacco, with Guinness in the base.

jase12

Reaction score
on a related side note, i am travelling to India in 3 weeks and want to purchase a new hookah pipe. My question is, will Australian Customs allow me to bring this back in without them drilling holes in them or something?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 75 16.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 148 33.1%
  • 8”

Votes: 133 29.8%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.2%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 2.0%