• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hoodie color decision

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
Trying to decide on a plain slim hoodie purchase from Loopwheeler. Trying to decide between the navy, grey, or black. Which color do you think is most versatile and functional?

Here's the hoodie:
050414mcp5tz.jpg

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All of those colors work well with almost anything. I prefer classic grey myself, but I'd be happy with any of the three.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Navy won't look too great with raw dark denim IMO. And I don't personally like heathered gray like that, but that's just me. So it would be the black for me.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I have this thing for black hoodies. I don't know what it is, but I love 'em. However, they don't layer as well. If you're planning on using it as a layering piece, I'd go for the gray, otherwise, black. I agree completely with j that navy won't look as good with raw denim, so assuming that's a factor for you, I'd personally stay away from it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on your look and what you are going for. If you are looking or huistorical authenticity, then grey>navy>black. Of course, there were no double zips, or even zip, hoodies until fairly recently (70's I believe) so that may be a non-factor. Otherwise, grey is the most versatile, while navy is the most difficult to coordinate with (darker) jeans. It can be done, but things really depend on the undertones of the hoodie and the jeans, and this can be tricky. If you don't do it right, it can just look dumb. For example, I have navy "the Cast" hoodie which has some purple undertones which matches well with true blue color of my worn in, broken down RRDS. It does not go with my worn in APC's, which themselves have a purplish cast.

FWIW, I have been considering the same hoodie (actually, I've been considering the heavier, classic version), and would probably go with the heather grey.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I concur. Navy will certainly look nice but won't mesh if you're a denimhead. I got black. The mans color. Or something.

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
LA Guy, I've also considered the classic heavier version, just because the fact that I can still wear it when I'm 55 and I'm not so sure I can do that with the slimmer zip up. It's just the one on their website, the guy looks soooo fat and sloppy in it! :
tongue.gif
It's making me want the slimmer look.

http://www.loopwheeler.co.jp/img/img_basic/lw09_gry.jpg

xcoldricex

Reaction score
I tried on the classic in a medium (I'm a M-L in t-shirts, L in W&H hoodies- about as slim as i'd want it, 38US chest) and it fit comfortably and snugly- and it doesn't make you look fat like that picture haha.

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
Jonglover,

Can you post a pic with you wearing your hoodie just to see the fit? I'm sure you'll look better than that guy in the picture who seems to be thrusting his gut out!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads