• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hoodie and blazer looks bad

Karl Sand

Reaction score
I've been seeing more and more people wearing a hoodie under a blazer. Every time I see such an individual i ask my self, why? in my humble opinion it makes the wearer look like one of those homeless guys who has to wear all their clothing at once because they have no place to put it. in short, it looks awful. Though it may be an attempt to bring some class to the casual look that dominates popular style today, I think that it only serves to make a mockery of the blazer by reducing it to the same level of casualness. does anyone agree with me.

sorry about the diatribe, I had to get it off my chest.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once bought a blazer with a hoodie built in....yeah.

SeriousBusiness

Reaction score
I think the great thing about the blazer is that it can be dressed up or down.

If done properly, I like the blazer+hoodie look - granted I don't do it myself. I don't have a problem with it on a cool day when you want to wear jeans and a blazer, but want to insulate yourself from the weather.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Karl Sand
Every time I see such an individual i ask my self, why?.

Two words: Justin Timberlake
plain.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not that it looks bad, at some point that look of hoodie+blazer actually was quite fashionable. That was about 3-5 years ago.

Then the real "fashionable" has moved on and the rest of the wretched masses is finally beginning to catch on.

You see the same thing with the square toed shoes. They were all the rage among the true fashionable in the mid to late 90's, then fell out of favor, but is still enjoying a simmering life among the masses.

cmsmith

Reaction score
I too think it looks terrible. I'm a college student and tried the look once or twice, and it is bad. If you want to wear a blazer casually with jeans, why not where a cardigan or v-neck underneath, there are plenty of modern, casual ways to layer under a blazer, but a hoodie isn't one of them.

awxg

Reaction score
It's as atrocious as Affliction shirts under a jacket.

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
I once bought a blazer with a hoodie built in....yeah.

See, I think that's worse that you guys think the sweater/blazer seperates look together. I don't have much of a problem with it, as long as everything fits and they don't actually wear the hood

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one of those GQ Magazine looks that I think looks just as bad as it sounds - like the puffer vest under a suit, or sweat pants with a blazer.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a Ted Baker jacket that had a hood, which was the same material as the jacket.

sl33p3rs

Reaction score
My friend rock this once in awhile, it doesn't look that bad imo
alien.gif
358aee4cc897452c00244351e4d91f69.jpg

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on how casual the sport coat or blazer is. A very structured and formal coat would look bad this way.

jcc123

Reaction score
It depends on your age. It's ok if you're young but an older person would look ridicules in those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads