• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Honk if you could use 775 ft-lbs

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this what Paris Hilton was driving?

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is '775 ft-lbs'?
confused.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A ft-lb is a foot-pound, a measurement of torque - it is the effort required to move one pound one foot, or something like that. I think the metric equivalent is measured in Newton-meters.

775 ft-lbs of torque is a hell of a lot.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, almost. I'm a mech E, can't help it. The definition of torque (a measurement of rotational force) is force 'crossed' (the mathematical cross product) with distance, i.e, the force times the perpendicular distance from the point of application to the center of rotation. In general use, the length of the useful part of the wrench you're grunting on. The appropriate unit is lbf-ft -- pounds force times feet. A foot-pound, abbreviated ft-lb, is technically a measure of energy (which is force times a distance), not simply force itself, which torque is the rotational equivalent of. These are commonly swapped. A useful extension is the relationship of torque to horsepower. Hp is a measure of work, which is force that is allowed to cover a distance in time, and is expressed as force per unit time, so hp tells you that so much torque (force) is acting over a certain distance, in a given amount of time. One hp is 550 foot-pound force per minute. From this it falls out that if you are grunting on a wrench and not turning the bolt, you may be applying torque (force to induce rotation), but since no distance has been covered, technically you've done no work and exerting precisely zero power. And yeah, 775 lbf-ft is a lot! I have this big honking 3/4" drive torque wrench with a 3ft long handle that I think hits 400, and it's absurdly huge. Regards, Huntsman

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Good explanation, but this thread is about engine torque, not a gigantic bolt.
lol8[1].gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heh, yeah, I know. Same difference, though. They sometimes use these 3" diameter bolts amd nuts at work and I'm trying to get me one for my desk. Heck of a paperweight.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This definition gives you a better idea of where the name comes from: foot-pound, abbr. ft-lb, unit of work or energy in the customary English gravitational system; it is the work done or energy expended by a force of 1 pound acting through a distance of 1 foot. It is equal to 1.356 joules. The term foot-pound is also used to designate a unit of torque that is sometimes called the pound-foot to distinguish it from the energy unit. A force of 1 pound applied 1 foot from and perpendicular to the direction to an axis of rotation produces a 1 foot-pound (or pound-foot) torque at the axis. J was close. Though, it is still tough to gauge how strong 775 ft-lb is by the definition if you aren't used to thinking in these terms, but I'm sure it is an incredible amount.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Incredible amount = almost two full M5s. Yeah, I'd call that a "**** ton" even.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads