• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Tailors

unmetro

Reaction score
At the new style forum wiki site, it says tat "W.W. Chan and Sons is generally regarded as one of Hong Kong's top three tailoring houses"...

out of curiosity what are the other two? thanks.

btw...i patroned both Sam's and Jantzen on my last visit...in regard to Sam's, the suits are great for wat you pay ($300-400) and the turn around time is amazin (1-3 days)...they even offer Loro Piana fabrics (additional $250)...i found tat the shirts i had made ran a bit long by default and are looser than Jantzen, who were able to get a slimmer fit and had a larger selection of fabrics for their shirts....no terrible complaints about either...

also somethin to keep in mind if ur a muscular guy...i found tat the arm holes run a bit small at both establishments for my liking...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
H. Baroman and A-Man Hing Cheong are the others.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wonder how Sam's compares to Chan for suits. In Shanghai on Maoming Road, the two stores are adjacent to each other. There is even a hidden passageway connecting the two.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sam's doesn't compare. They put together a suit as cheaply as possible for a largely uninformed clientele. If you are very specific about what you want, you can get better work there, but if you want canvassed construction and decent handwork, you're better off going to a tailoring house that does that by default rather than only when specifically asked.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I wonder how Sam's compares to Chan for suits. In Shanghai on Maoming Road, the two stores are adjacent to each other. There is even a hidden passageway connecting the two.

Do they share the same kitchen?

My View2

Reaction score
I agree with Dah328. I am a frequent visitor to HK and I must say that Sam's looks like a tourist trap to me. I had been in Sam's, spoken to the man himself, asked questions and examined some of the pieces on display and I must say that I had seen better things.

No doubt, they probably do more business than Chan - you see truckloads of tourists or half the crew of some US battleship calling port at HK at Sam's but not at Chan - possibly because Sam's spends more advertisements dollars in HK or in the countries these tourists are from.

For quality bespoke suits, I'd go to Chan.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sams really is so tourist oriented as to be unworthy of serious mention.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i wouldn't be so smug if i was wearing mr. brosnan's shirt (taken from sam's website)
brosnan600a.jpeg
rocky600.jpeg
cliton600.jpeg
pavarotti600a.jpeg

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
not to up set the apple cart again! but did you know most of the taliors both chinese and indian all out sourse their work some will be to local workshops and others to workshops in shenzhen on the mainland! where they get their fabric from too! the suit might be cut in HK but then stitched in shenzhen

Lyndon

Reaction score
Hi I've been looking through some of the posts about Hong Kong Tailors and nobody seems to mention David's shirts on Kimberley Road in Kowloon. I've been going there for several years now and I'm more than happy with what he makes for me. He may not be the cheapest but he does what it says on the box as the saying goes. Also I have tried Sam's on Nathan Road and I was more than dissapointed. I tried him out with 3 shirts the result was utter crap. I threw one away within a week gave one to a charity shop the previous one was disgusting so I didn't want to insult anyone with it and the last one I use to garden in.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lyndon
Hi I've been looking through some of the posts about Hong Kong Tailors and nobody seems to mention David's shirts on Kimberley Road in Kowloon. I've been going there for several years now and I'm more than happy with what he makes for me. He may not be the cheapest but he does what it says on the box as the saying goes. Also I have tried Sam's on Nathan Road and I was more than dissapointed. I tried him out with 3 shirts the result was utter crap. I threw one away within a week gave one to a charity shop the previous one was disgusting so I didn't want to insult anyone with it and the last one I use to garden in.

There are all manner of persons offering suits and Shirts on both Hong Kong Island and Kowloon. I rather suspect that the better ones have been reported and people would be best advised to stay with them. Odd people may be satisfied with the rest but no more.

wizards11

Reaction score
what about peter lee of lee baron. How this this tailor rank comparing with Chan?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wizards11
what about peter lee of lee baron. How this this tailor rank comparing with Chan?

Peter Lee has gotten good reviews on this forum but I believe its a notch or so below Chan

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In a previous post, someone post that the share the same tailors.

wsanford-shanghai

Reaction score

From what I understand there is some overlap with the tailors, but the main difference is one is fused and the other is full canvas. Prices are similar, but with the former you get extra pants and some shirt (maybe some discount) and with the latter you get a better made garment.

Quite smart on their part. They can satisfy more customers at different price points and requirement levels. Rather than refer them to another vendor they can sort them out in house. When you go in for a visit they are upfront about their business.

I am not sure about the HK shop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads