• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Tailors - Begginer

Reaction score
Hello guys!

I will be in Hong Kong on October 12th to October 16th, and then I will be back October 20th-21st.

Do you guys think this is enough time to get shirts and a suit made?

I don't wear a suit everyday for work, but would like to get a nice one for special ocasion/wedding/etc.

I own at the moment only one "off the rack" suit.

This will be my first tailored suit, and probably after some research, going for some kind of dark grey fabric.

Since Brazil is pretty warm, I am looking for nice cool high quality fabric.

I was thinking on spending around 4500-5500 HKD (700ish USD). I think that is enough to get a nice quality suit (full canvassed), correct?

I am sure not highest quality, but at least much better quality than regular suits you can buy.

I have been doing a lot of research here on the forum. Any tips for begginer?

So far I nailed it down to:

Shirts: Jantzen (they said usually shirts go for 350-450 HKD, but can go up to 2000 HKD

Suit: I am in doubt, and considering Simpson Sin or Empire Tailor. From my research, these 2 are the best option for my budget, correct?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simpson Sin if those are your 2 choices.

Reaction score
I am open to more options.

For shirts, Jantzen seems to be the best option, for budget x quality, correct?

Also any other tips during fitting/etc? I have been doing a lot of research.

Full canvassed seems the way to go.

bamboo

Reaction score
I am open to more options.

For shirts, Jantzen seems to be the best option, for budget x quality, correct?

Also any other tips during fitting/etc? I have been doing a lot of research.

Full canvassed seems the way to go.

Hi. I agree about Janzen. It is difficult to beat that Quality/Price ratio.

Suit is difficult. Getting suits done in a 4 day with 2 fittings seems very tight. I have not used Simpon Sin but reputation if SF is good.
HKD 5500 is probably about the bottom price for fully canvassed suit. You may consider Yuen's tailor in Central. Their starting price is about HKD 5200-5500 and fully canvassed. Their default is only one fitting and can send the suit to you. I paid more because of fabric choice.

Reaction score
I understand.

I thought aboud going on 12th in the morning for first fitting. Then by 16th i think is enough time.

And would pick up the suit on the 21st.

Is it worth going fully canvassed? Or fused is fine? Like i said i wont wear everyday.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might be able to do two fittings in your first visit and pick up on the second.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SS but never tried Yuen's tailor

bamboo

Reaction score
Not many people tried both SS and Yuen, I guess.
In either way, I suggest you well coordinate with the tailor about the time frame.
Good luck.

smoothmoose

Reaction score
You may also want to check Lee Baron also in Tsim Sha Shiu. Full-canvased was 4500HKD+ a couple years ago, so prices may have went up. Peter Lee's english is very good, however, do not go crazy with funky customizations. Peter said himself "I'm not a fashion designer".

smoothmoose

Reaction score
I've never tried Simpson Sin, but they appear to be very close to Lee Baron. Why don't you pay both a visit and decide based on your impressions and fabric selection of both? For your information Lee Baron does send sample swatches overseas for your follow-up orders. Not all, HK tailors do that, for example Jantzen does not. However, Jantzen shirts are better made than Lee Baron. I also say for your timeframe this is possible, but do budget time to do the fittings, looking at swatches, etc. Also budget travel time even though HK has a great metro system. If you are going to be in HK for work or pleasure, it will be taking away time for other activities especially if you are going with your wife/girlfriend. Just keep that in mind.

addedfuel

Reaction score
I've ordered 2 suits and 3 shirts from Lee Baron and I wouldn't recommend him. Prices have gone up tremendously over the past year ~5000$ for a canvassed suit and most disappointing were his shirts, I paid extra for thicker buttons (defaults were thin plastic) and after a dozen washes in the washer, the buttons are brittle and hard to button up.

smoothmoose

Reaction score

I've ordered 2 suits and 3 shirts from Lee Baron and I wouldn't recommend him. Prices have gone up tremendously over the past year ~5000$ for a canvassed suit and most disappointing were his shirts, I paid extra for thicker buttons (defaults were thin plastic) and after a dozen washes in the washer, the buttons are brittle and hard to button up.

Did you buy from the Hong Kong store or their Toronto affiliate? Agreed, the shirt construction has much to be wary about. But their suits are much better. However if the price has gone up that much, there is probably better value elsewhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads