Hong Kong tailors - A Man Hing Cheong vs. Y William Yu

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gumbolo, Nov 9, 2009.

1. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I will. Thanks for the info. No 24 hr. job for me. the suit will fall apart after one wear.

I am not sure about such a tight schedule. Maybe if you give them an early-warning and go early morning on your first day, late evening on the second and again late evening on the third, so that they deliver via mail to you. that might be possible. Why don't you ask them YWY and AMHC? Here are the details:

YWY: +852-2369- 2141 , [email protected] (very responsibe, basically daily)
    AMHC: +852 2522 3336, [email protected] (i only called them)

do me a favour and mention to them that i recommended their places, just mention a German-Korean guy who bought some suits from them recently, hopefully that will give me some kind of discount next time [​IMG]

Throughout HK you will find various low-end who can do that, even within 24h, but if you read across the forum it seems to be of inferior quality.

2. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

So is for certain that the Y William Yu on Madision Avenue is associated with the Y William Yu in Hong Kong? If so I definitely might give them a shot. That is a great looking second jacket that you posted.

They are one and the same. Only the HK operation travels and not the NY branch.

3. gumbolo

gumbolo Well-Known Member

Ok guys, another chapter of mine with YWY: Tuxedo!

I went there two weeks ago, as I had a business-trip in Hong Kong. I didn't order the tux right away, as I was not sure when/if I need it these days. However, last time in January their cutter Andy showed me the standard cloth (well, black!) and the price of 7.200 HKD. I called a week later and ordered over phone. Then during my last week's trip I had one fitting and the whole thing was then mailed to me only a few days later together with three shirts, one of them the white one in the pictures below.

Everything is kind of ok, but I think I made a couple of mistakes: I took the soft Italian shoulder from my other suits, but here a harder British cut might have been better, because the whole thing shouldn't be soft/sporty but pure tradition/hard/classic/status-conscious. I also think it needs a bit more waist-supression, which I already asked Andy over email. He said they can work on that, but I should wear it with a cummerbund first before changing. Fair point.

Let me know what you think:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Lowndes

Lowndes Senior member

So I sent off a couple of emails to Y William Yu to determine their relationship with the Madison Avenue store. They are related but the pricing is different. The Madison Avenue store never responded to my emails so I don't know how much they charge.

I did talk to Andy in Hong Kong and he was terrific. When they come on tour to the U.S. their prices start at $825 for a suit. However, they don't do any fittings. This is what makes me a little concerned. The make up the suit based off of the initial pattern and photos. If it doesn't work out they send you to a local tailor to make the final adjustments at no additional charge.

So I guess I just prefer being able to get fittings. It seems risky not having them but I might go meet them when they are on tour and see their work first hand.

Sounds like a good option though if you can go to Hong Kong and get the fittings there and then just order by email.

5. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Ok guys, another chapter of mine with YWY: Tuxedo!
    Let me know what you think:

- why are you standing on newspaper?
    - pants look good
    - jkt balance looks strange

6. apropos

apropos Senior member

- jkt balance looks strange
    IMO, they are much too short.

7. gumbolo

thanks for that.

Honestly, I am not that happy with the fit of the tux. looks too big, not fitted enough, everything needs one more fitting, but in fact i only had one fitting with it anyway. and i am standing on a newspaper, because in korea you dont' wear streetshoes inside apartments. yes, may sound strange...[​IMG]

to lowdnes - i like them very much, but i wouldn't accept a suit without a serious number of fittings. that's really taking too big of a risk for a customer. but do they say they only visit your city one time? taking measurements and good-bye? that sounds really weird. in fact, i had offered them to come to korea, and andy said they would do it for around 15 suits, which is not too big of a number to create. why dont' you suggest to send the suit back to them and they take the postal-charge (but then you need to know what/how to refit)?

8. gumbolo

another review of AMHC, Y William Yu and this time newly David's shirts:

I refitted my suits from AMHC and YWY, much better now, especially the YWY one. Then I added a few more shirts for which I wanted to share some prices with the crowd here:

AMHC: two sea-island Alumo shirts, price was 1.500 HKD each, the most expensive of them all. I was in a slight rush, so I couldn't spend too much time choosing cheaper ones. They had cheaper ones, but I like the Alumo cloth the most. Unfortunately, they didn't want to provide the think 2 mm buttons, but still the shirts feel and look very nice.

YWY: three Stuart Mason sea-island shirts and one Italian brand called Vegiano or so. The SM were 850 HKD, the Vegiano was 750 HKD. The SM ones feel absolutely perfect, the Italian one so so, but looks more expensive. YWY also wasn't able to provide the 2mm thick buttons. Very nice feeling, but compared to the AMHC the cuffs/collar feel slightly less comfortable, don't know why.
    (FYI: I also redid the cuffs and collars of some of my previous orders, where I had forgotten to ask for the softer collar, which cost me 200 HKD each.)

David's shirts: I went to the shop in the Mandarin, more or less accidentally. The guy suggested he could do a shirt in two days, while the other tailors I had asked (Ash Samtani, Ascot Chang + Raj Mirpuri I couldn't find) had refused. I spent a lot of time deciding the cloth and ended up with a thicker Stuart Mason one. I had them take my measures and also left them one of my AMHC shirts to cross-check during the final finish. They were able to provide the 2mm thick buttons, but charged me an additional 200 HKD, so the total price was 1.400 HKD. So far, the fit is virtually perfect, and this without ANY fitting, just straight-forward and only the AMHC shirt as a reference.

9. gumbolo

Just for knowledge-sharing: I also visited some tailors on the Kowloon side for price comparison.

I checked Tak Tak tailors in the Langham hotel: a really ridiculous shop probably based on walk-ins from the hotel which have no clue about prices. I asked the entry-price which were quoted at 7.000 HKD, which seemed normal. But then I asked which cloth they use and it was all complete no-name crap which felt and looked really awful. For Loro Piana "four seasons" (which I got for around 7.000 at YWY!) and Zegna he quoted "at least" 15.000 HKD, and H&S he refused to sell. I wouldn't go there. Their house-cloth looked really shabby. THey also have a shop in the Intercontinental hotel, I found out later.

I also went to a shop called "British tailors" in the Intercontinental shopping arcade. He quoted 7.000 for entry-tier. His cloth/material looked quite nice and he had all the names, H&S, Dormeuil, Zegna, LP and so on. Also the suits I saw in the making, looked and felt quite nice. don't know, but I usually judge a suit by the feeling of the canvas and the collar surroundings, which looked quite nice.

10. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

FYR the intercon shopping arcade will not be here much longer as it is being knocked down and rebuilt!!!

11. Timeless Fashion

Timeless Fashion Senior member

Anyone know if YWY has announced their US Tour schedule for the summer?

12. Lowndes

Lowndes Senior member

Anyone know if YWY has announced their US Tour schedule for the summer?

Not yet when I talked to them last (about a week ago). They though they would be coming through San Fran though towards the end of May.

13. gumbolo

yes, correct. He mentioned that he will move to Nathan Road.

FYR the intercon shopping arcade will not be here much longer as it is being knocked down and rebuilt!!!

14. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

David's shirts: I went to the shop in the Mandarin, more or less accidentally. The guy suggested he could do a shirt in two days, while the other tailors I had asked (Ash Samtani, Ascot Chang + Raj Mirpuri I couldn't find) had refused. I spent a lot of time deciding the cloth and ended up with a thicker Stuart Mason one. I had them take my measures and also left them one of my AMHC shirts to cross-check during the final finish. They were able to provide the 2mm thick buttons, but charged me an additional 200 HKD, so the total price was 1.400 HKD. So far, the fit is virtually perfect, and this without ANY fitting, just straight-forward and only the AMHC shirt as a reference.

I will post some pic's over the next days or so and I will also ask them about the exact cloth and prices again. Keep checking this thread for more info!

2mm is not thick, did you mean 4mm?
    Ascot Chang charged me HKD80 for the 4mm buttons, IIRC.
    AMHC should have the 2mm, even 4mm buttons, I saw them sewn the 4mm buttons on the shirts at the shop front last year.

15. gumbolo

Correct, should be 4 mm. Will post pic's later on!