• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Tailoring Style: a guest series on ASW

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At first I thought this was about ASmallWorld

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will be interesting.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought this was a pretty good general description of the Hong Kong style. I just don't know about the pocket I never knew I needed! What's that?!

"Baromon, Chan and Yao each have a marked silhouette and characteristic detailing but they share a similar genotype. Clean, close-fitting jackets with a touch of structure, closed quarters and a cupped skirt define the torso. Shoulders have a straight fall with moderate padding on a rounded contour that tapers to a narrow sleeve and trousers come straight with a bit of break as well as a pocket that you never knew you needed."

The first two reviews are up on Will's blog now.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A close friend of mine just had two suits made. One by Yao and the other by Chan. I just asked him today to compare the two. Here's what he said:

"I love the Yao suit - fits perfectly, love the cloth, looks great. I'm very happy with it. If I stare at it I can be convinced the lapels are too high but I've worn it to work three times in the last two weeks and want more like it in different colors. Very pleased.

I regret buying the Chan suit, which doesn't at all look "contemporary" it just looks like I put on a little boys' coat, and I regret the decision to wear it during the wedding, since all I notice in our pictures is how small it looks. The waist is about two inches too big and needs to be adjusted, which explains why it looked too long in the pictures you saw."

He has a reasonably public position, so I'm reluctant to post pictures of him without his permission. If he agrees, I'll do so. Needless to say, he clearly preferred Yao to Chan.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
"I regret buying the Chan suit, which doesn't at all look 'contemporary' it just looks like I put on a little boys' coat, and I regret the decision to wear it during the wedding, since all I notice in our pictures is how small it looks. The waist is about two inches too big and needs to be adjusted, which explains why it looked too long in the pictures you saw."

He has a reasonably public position, so I'm reluctant to post pictures of him without his permission. If he agrees, I'll do so. Needless to say, he clearly preferred Yao to Chan.

As someone who has purchased four suits and 16 odd jackets from Chan, that is certainly very contrary to my experience. I wonder what went wrong.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
A close friend of mine just had two suits made. One by Yao and the other by Chan. I just asked him today to compare the two. Here's what he said:

"I love the Yao suit - fits perfectly, love the cloth, looks great. I'm very happy with it. If I stare at it I can be convinced the lapels are too high but I've worn it to work three times in the last two weeks and want more like it in different colors. Very pleased.

I regret buying the Chan suit, which doesn't at all look "contemporary" it just looks like I put on a little boys' coat, and I regret the decision to wear it during the wedding, since all I notice in our pictures is how small it looks. The waist is about two inches too big and needs to be adjusted, which explains why it looked too long in the pictures you saw."

I agree. Yao's suits are very very nice and I also prefer Yao's to Chan's.

I've never encountered any problems with Chan's suits. I think they are top-notch and would recommend them w/o hesitation. But Yao's are a bit better than Chan's.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the balance off in the Yao? Either that or they didn't cut it large enough across the ass.
Yao+-+Side.jpg

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
As someone who has purchased four suits and 16 odd jackets from Chan, that is certainly very contrary to my experience. I wonder what went wrong.

It's possible that he had the suit made on tour w/o fittings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads