1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong Tailor Report from A Suitable Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mrphrog, Oct 2, 2007.

1. hmhill

hmhill Active Member

I would question whether Chan gets "a few hundred orders" from each U.S. tour. They have 11 days scheduled for meeting customers. Let's say they meet 20 customers per day day (a very optimistic figure, since new customers need an hour for measuring), that gives us a maximum of 220 orders for tailored menswear. I suppose some men will order multiple garments, but there may also be some no-shows or no-buys (or men who simply order shirts, as I did once) to offset that.

I checked my order numbers I determined that between July 2006 to July 2007 there was 479 orders. Between March 2006 to July 2006 there was 168 orders. Between July 2005 to July 2006 there was 344 orders. So it seems that they probably get around 150 to 200 orders which probably includes shirts and suits orders.

Max

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

LK, havn't you ever wanted anything normal? :p

I hope to create something like this:

[​IMG]

3. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hope to create something like this:

[​IMG]

In white buckskin it would be perfect for you.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

In white buckskin it would be perfect for you.

I like the prospect of that coat in a white buckskin. Alternatively, a houndstooth might be nice.

5. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

when working with HK tailor you can get a very mixed return, you need to coach them and really push them and make sure you and they understand what you are getting!

most will try to please and give you what you are looking for other are so set in their ways will not but all expect you not to know anything about tailoring and some hate to be told what you want and how you want you suit to be made!

i would say that the HK tailor that travel less are more than likely to be the better tailors, as they dont need to go oversea's to get the business as they have enough local biz to meet their needs

most local clients do not know what fresco and like are and very rarely will they ask for it so for chan not to have crisparie in stock does not supprise me. this is why you will find alot of the super 140 and above in store. i have had it on very good advice not to atempt a suit in hk above s120 as the tailors dont have the skill to work with such a delicate fabric.

if you are charge above 6-7000 HKD for VBC then you are beeing over charge as this fabric is very cheap from HK wholesalers and is not worth any more IMHO

finding a good tailor in HK sometimes like finding a good resaurant not alway easy but once you have found it you will have a friend for life!

6. mrphrog

mrphrog Senior member

luk-cha, which tailor in HK do you recommend for suits?

7. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

most will try to please and give you what you are looking for other are so set in their ways will not but all expect you not to know anything about tailoring and some hate to be told what you want and how you want you suit to be made!

i would say that the HK tailor that travel less are more than likely to be the better tailors, as they dont need to go oversea's to get the business as they have enough local biz to meet their needs

finding a good tailor in HK sometimes like finding a good resaurant not alway easy but once you have found it you will have a friend for life!

My exact sentiments. The only problem I have though is that most who do not travel overseas to get business are more likely to offer a fused suit (at the lower price point) in order to cater to the local market. For a majority of working class adults in HK, they are unable to tell if a suit is fused or not and will invariably go for less expensive options than to patronize the tailors that are frequently mentioned in this forum .

8. luk-cha

luk-cha, which tailor in HK do you recommend for suits?

i will not recomend tailors, as i have tried others recomendations and ended up not as sucessful as my friends!

they are plenty but you need to find the right person who is right for me might not be for you!

9. luk-cha

My exact sentiments. The only problem I have though is that most who do not travel overseas to get business are more likely to offer a fused suit (at the lower price point) in order to cater to the local market. For a majority of working class adults in HK, they are unable to tell if a suit is fused or not and will invariably go for less expensive options than to patronize the tailors that are frequently mentioned in this forum .

aman hing choeng does not travel etc are they poor??

10. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I think the price and time tell the difference.
    Those promise to get the suit for you in 2 days, and CMT under HKD3,000. I will bet they are fused.

One more point, even the suit are not fused, most of the HK Tailors use machine to saw the canvas, you can see the cut up suit display at many central tailor shop.

11. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Machine padded canvas is the norm, even with Chan, unless you request otherwise. The only place where I have seen hand padded chest pieces as a standard is A-Man Hin Cheong. All of reputable houses attach their collars by machine, but the lapels and collar canvas are handstitched.

If you are in the US, and use or want to use a travelling HK tailor's service, be sure to manage your expectations. All else being equal, suits made without fittings will be markedly different in fit compared to those made in HK with the benefit of multiple fittings. In short, you will not get a real bespoke product from them when they are on the road.

12. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

aman hing choeng does not travel etc are they poor??

Oh, I think you might have misunderstood my intentions. I'm not saying that those who do not travel out are poor. There are some who get enough work from local orders and feel no need to travel.

I'm just saying that apart from the big names, there are many smaller tailor shops whose clientele base are looking for suits in the cheaper price range and are willing to do so with some compromises to construction and quality as long as it fits well.

I find looking for a tailor is as difficult as looking for a soul mate. I don't think it's specific to Hong Kong, it's rare to find a tailor whose house cut resembles much of what you originally had in mind.

13. Will

Arnold Wong emailed from Chan and said that there'd been a mistake. A two piece suit in Scabal S120 wool and cashmere is HK$10,550 today. That's a bit less than $1,300 USD.

14. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

Arnold Wong emailed from Chan and said that there'd been a mistake. A two piece suit in Scabal S120 wool and cashmere is HK$10,550 today. That's a bit less than $1,300 USD.
    You should amend your blog to include this correction.

15. Will

You should amend your blog to include this correction.

Already done.

16. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Good to know that. Chan are honest merchants.

17. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

As indeed I already knew from pleasant experience. I knew that $2,300 figure had to be a misunderstanding.

18. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

The next to last time I ordered shirts from Chan, they discovered one of the fabrics was unavailable and the shirt could not be made. My credit card had already been charged. The matter of the charge for the one shirt slipped through the cracks. When I ordered again a few weeks ago, Chan discovered the error, and credited the amount against the new order. I had forgotten about the matter and didn't realize I was owed a credit.

19. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Already done.
    Somewhat OT but I like the cut of that F&H blazer.

FWIW, I think you look a lot better with a less extended shoulder.

Are you still using Mahon and A&S as well?

20. Will

Somewhat OT but I like the cut of that F&H blazer.

FWIW, I think you look a lot better with a less extended shoulder.

Are you still using Mahon and A&S as well?

Thanks, I like that coat too. I'm using Mahon for DBs. Those fitting photos will run next week.