• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Tailor on a tight schedule?

UKyank

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to be going to Hong Kong in the late fall and as I don't see that opportunity cropping up again in the near future I wanted to also try to purchase my first custom suit.
After much research I though I would go with WW Chan as his work seemed top notch but alas upon emailing them they said my schedule did not provide them enough time and declined to make an appointment.

My schedule is arrive HKG Wed Oct 31, evening, depart Sun Nov 4, afternoon.
Also have a 14hr layover in HKG on Fri Oct. 26, but unfortunately the arrival isn't until 730pm.

Basically wondering if my schedule just makes the idea of getting a reputable/quality tailored suit impossible? (was also looking for some shirts as well, but in guessing that poses less of a problem - id also prefer if possible a tailor that would allow the purchase of additional suits in the future to ship to the US)
Thanks in advance for any advice.

addedfuel

Reaction score
stores close at 20:00 and open at 10:00 so you won't be able to visit a tailor during your layover.

If you arrive 31Oct in the evening, you won't make it to the tailors before closing which leaves you showing up 1 Nov. You can order then and if you are lucky, get one fitting on the 3 Nov. (but that's tight) and have them mail the suit to you afterwards. I frequent the same tailor and even then I always require 2 fittings (and take 2 weeks) but you may be lucky and need just one fitting. No reputable tailor can crank out a suit that fast. Do not trust the mostly indian tailors in Tsimshatsui who promise they can deliver you a suit in 2 days.

Shirts can take 2 days and are without much hassle.

phillycheese

Reaction score
It seems that SF exposure and their overseas trips have made WWChan very popular. They are backed up. However, luckily for you there are many other tailors in HK that can squeeze two fitting in for you and then mail you the suit. If you really want a HK suit made I'd suggest you head over to Central Galleria - there are 5 tailors located in this building - Baromon, British Textiles, Taipan Row, Oscar and Ying Tai. Baromon is top 4 in HK based on many opinions. Ying Tai has a good reputation as well and British Textiles has received good reviews. Within 5 minutes walk of these 5 are Italian in Prince's Building, Creative in Std Chart and A Man Hing Cheong at Mandarin Oriental Hotel. A Man is also top 4.

Some of these you have not heard of here because they do not travel and work on word of mouth only. There are a few others that are well regarded but located in comm centres so I have not listed since you are short on time. Check out the above ones first as they're all conveniently located. You'll pay a bit more because they are located in high rent buildings but since you are short on time you don't need to waste it searching for a tailor's premises.

WW Chan and Gordon Yao are in the top 4 as well but not the only game in town as this site would suggest. Good luck.

lexmann

Reaction score

It seems that SF exposure and their overseas trips have made WWChan very popular.  They are backed up.  However, luckily for you there are many other tailors in HK that can squeeze two fitting in for you and then mail you the suit.  If you really want a HK suit made I'd suggest you head over to Central Galleria - there are 5 tailors located in this building - Baromon, British Textiles, Taipan Row, Oscar and Ying Tai.  Baromon is top 4 in HK based on many opinions.  Ying Tai has a good reputation as well and British Textiles has received good reviews.  Within 5 minutes walk of these 5 are Italian in Prince's Building, Creative in Std Chart and A Man Hing Cheong at Mandarin Oriental Hotel.  A Man is also top 4.  

Some of these you have not heard of here because they do not travel and work on word of mouth only.  There are a few others that are well regarded but located in comm centres so I have not listed since you are short on time.  Check out the above ones first as they're all conveniently located.  You'll pay a bit more because they are located in high rent buildings but since you are short on time you don't need to waste it searching for a tailor's premises.

WW Chan and Gordon Yao are in the top 4 as well but not the only game in town as this site would suggest.  Good luck.

Baromon makes suits for Hong Kong tycoon Li Ka-shing. Sometimes saw Mr Li on TV and his suits look pretty good.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:lurk:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in a list of Hong Kong tailors in other comm centers. I use to go to Jantzen but I am thinking of switching. Trip to HK at year end for 3 weeks.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would be interested in a list of Hong Kong tailors in other comm centers. I use to go to Jantzen but I am thinking of switching. Trip to HK at year end for 3 weeks.

Put yourself to the burden of using the search function here. This subject has been done to death.

phillycheese

Reaction score
Pete - actually if you do a search the same names come up quite often. What does that tell you? Well, since the same names show up most often, I'd suggest any non-native HKer go to those guys because more likely than not they will get what they want. However, for people that live in HK, there are many hidden gems.

But as a newbie here, I don't want to be accused as a shill, so will keep my computer silent. I hope you understand.

rokr32

Reaction score
when I was in HK in December, I was staying at the Mandarin Oriental and got my custom tailored suit there at the hotel. I'd heard from a friend that the tailor in that hotel was very good, so I decided to give it a try. I was on a tight schedule and had to get it done in one day. The tailor was nice enough to tell his guy to speed up the process for me and the next day before I left to the airport I tried on my first fitting. Luckily for me, there was only a slight adjustment to be made and he agreed to ship it over to me in the US.

I think two weeks later the suit arrived and it was great.

So my .02 would be: find a good tailor and try to get lucky :p

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

....  Baromon is top 4 in HK based on many opinions.  ....A Man Hing Cheong at Mandarin Oriental Hotel.  A Man is also top 4.  

WW Chan and Gordon Yao are in the top 4 as well but not the only game in town as this site would suggest.  ....

Actually, if you do some research here, you will find that PC has pretty much nailed the generally accepted SF view.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

when I was in HK in December, I was staying at the Mandarin Oriental and got my custom tailored suit there at the hotel. I'd heard from a friend that the tailor   in that hotel was very good, so I decided to give it a try. I was on a tight schedule and had to get it done in one day. The tailor was nice enough to tell his guy to speed up the process for me and the next day before I left to the airport I tried on my first fitting. Luckily for me, there was only a slight adjustment to be made and he agreed to ship it over to me in the US. 

I think two weeks later the suit arrived and it was great.

So my .02 would be: find a good tailor and try to get lucky :p

How lucky?:embar:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GBR, try not to be sanctimonious. My question was very specific, and not really molded for SF groupthink.

A search on SF reveals the same damn names- Gordan Yao, WW Chan, S William Yu, A Man Hin Cheong, and God Forbid Sam's. HK natives will laugh at you (behind your back) if you mention these names. The reason: well, think of your typical touristy town, and think of the touristy names. Hong Kong natives will smile warmly on you, 'cos ignorant gwei lows keep the rice bowls on their tables.

For example, everyone on SF refers to Ricky when talking about Jantzen. Do you know that there is an old guru tailor in the shop who speaks no English? I bet you dont unless you have visited the shop more than once.

Phillycheese, can you PM me with details? If you understand Cantonese, "ng koi la, to je sai!"

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of the above is bullshit.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GBR, try not to be sanctimonious.  My question was very specific, and not really molded for SF groupthink.  

A search on SF reveals the same damn names- Gordan Yao, WW Chan, S William Yu, A Man Hin Cheong, and God Forbid Sam's. HK natives will laugh at you (behind your back) if you mention these names.  The reason: well, think of your typical touristy town, and think of the touristy names. Hong Kong natives will smile warmly on you, 'cos ignorant gwei lows keep the rice bowls on their tables.

LOL yeh, I've heard that term before, or gui lao as it is in Mandarin. The Spanish equivalent would be gringo.

BTW are there any native Hong Kongers on SF? I know there's a few expats who live there, which is not the same.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are few Hong Kong native members, including myself..

Has OP managed to find a decent tailor for his needs?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics