1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong Tailor - Loa Hai Shing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by truebespoke, Jul 2, 2010.

1. truebespoke

truebespoke New Member

Here's my contribution to this forum.

Loa Hai Shing is the authorised distributor of Scabal, Wain Shiell, Holland & Sherry and Alumo in Hong Kong and China. The other tailors in Hong Kong source their fabrics from them. I also heard that they tailor for senior management of Fortune 500 companies and also for the Hong Kong governor and Sir Run Run Shaw.

After visiting WW Chan (quoted HK$16,000) and A Man Hing Cheong (quoted HK$12,000), I decided to give Loa Hai Shing a shot because they quoted HK$10,000 and I liked the suits on display. The prices quoted were based on Scabal Super 120 fabric, however LHS' fabric was the best of the lot as they had just received shipment of 2010 edition of Scabal Super 130s. That was one of the key factors in helping me make the decision.

This suit took 3 fittings and 3 weeks to make.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member

Vest seems to be well done in terms of fit. The coat's sleeves may be a bit wonky, and the back could be ever so slightly cleaner. Not my cup of tea aesthetically but I think it looks good, maybe hem the pants a bit higher and if you are going to get cuffs, get at least 1 3/4 inches.

3. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

Vest seems to be well done in terms of fit. The coat's sleeves may be a bit wonky, and the back could be ever so slightly cleaner. Not my cup of tea aesthetically but I think it looks good, maybe hem the pants a bit higher and if you are going to get cuffs, get at least 1 3/4 inches.
    cant agree more
    some obvious problems with the back of the sleeves

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I guess the asians will never be italians. While it looks like a suit and fits pretty well, what's missing to me is any sense of personality. Canali is not Kiton is not Boss is not Zegna. But all these asian suits just look the same to me.

5. pubble

pubble New Member

Jacket is not sufficiently nipped at the waist on the front. Should take it back for a minor adjustment. They are primarily a distributor of cloths. The tailoring business is mainly there to keep a small and exclusive clientele satisfied. The cutter there is a old chap probably in his late 60's or early 70's. The tailoring style is Shanghainese. According to some, Shanghainese tailoring excels on workmanship and the quality of construction. Cantonese tailoring on the other hand is better on style and cut. The service at Loa Hai Shing was impeccable. The people there were sincere and unassuming. They did make a lot of effort in trying to make sure that the job was done properly and that your needs were satisfied. I respect them for that.

6. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Senior member

I think it looks pretty good. The sleeves do look a little bit off but (1) it could just be the way you have your arms hanging and (2) even if they are off, only people as attentive to detail as us SFers would notice. The suit does appear to lack a bit of "personality" but that could be due in part to the fabric color, lack of tie, and truly drab office backdrop.

Overall, well done.

7. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Vest seems to be well done in terms of fit. The coat's sleeves may be a bit wonky, and the back could be ever so slightly cleaner.

+1. Looks good though; I would shorten the sleeves a bit and have more open quarters, but those are personal choices.

8. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member

I agree the sleeves look wonky, but I think the back is fine.

It's the front that I think needs some help. The combination of a high gorge and a high buttoning point look unbalanced to me. There's nothing wrong with the front being lean, but something looks wrong south of where it fastens. Notice how the lines on each side of the jacket converge toward each other rather than point straight to the ground? That may indicate a balance problem.

I don't think you need more waist suppression at all. The silhouette is nice enough.

9. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Here's my contribution to this forum. Loa Hai Shing is the authorised distributor of Scabal, Wain Shiell, Holland & Sherry and Alumo in Hong Kong and China. The other tailors in Hong Kong source their fabrics from them. I also heard that they tailor for senior management of Fortune 500 companies and also for the Hong Kong governor and Sir Run Run Shaw. After visiting WW Chan (quoted HK$16,000) and A Man Hing Cheong (quoted HK$12,000), I decided to give Loa Hai Shing a shot because they quoted HK$10,000 and I liked the suits on display. The prices quoted were based on Scabal Super 120 fabric, however LHS' fabric was the best of the lot as they had just received shipment of 2010 edition of Scabal Super 130s. That was one of the key factors in helping me make the decision.
    Jacket is not sufficiently nipped at the waist on the front. Should take it back for a minor adjustment. They are primarily a distributor of cloths. The tailoring business is mainly there to keep a small and exclusive clientele satisfied. The cutter there is a old chap probably in his late 60's or early 70's. The tailoring style is Shanghainese. According to some, Shanghainese tailoring excels on workmanship and the quality of construction. Cantonese tailoring on the other hand is better on style and cut. The service at Loa Hai Shing was impeccable. The people there were sincere and unassuming. They did make a lot of effort in trying to make sure that the job was done properly and that your needs were satisfied. I respect them for that.
    Is everyone enjoying their double-helping of Spam?

10. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

There's nothing wrong with the front being lean, but something looks wrong south of where it fastens. Notice how the lines on each side of the jacket converge toward each other rather than point straight to the ground? That may indicate a balance problem.

Could also be due to the wearer standing to attention in an unnatural way.

11. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

I think it looks quite good, especially since this is the first suit from them. If it came from Chan, A-Man, or for that matter any other tailor, the reactions would be very positive (not saying that minor tweaks wouldn't be suggested in any case). Looks WAY better than the Anderson & Sheppard, Gieves & Hawkes, and Chan suits posted in that infamous comparison thread on the London Lounge.

Also, not denying that the gorge is high, but the camera angle is probably making it look higher than it really is. Likewise it is probably making the mid-section look longer than it really is.

12. GBR

GBR Senior member

More advertising.

13. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I'm impressed that you can tolerate HK summers in a 3 piece suit.