• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Suit for $500 USD

n7nja

Reaction score
I am a poor, struggling student. I need a suit. I know most people will scoff at this price range, but as I said I'm a poor, struggling student. So, if your favorite uncle was going to die unless he could purchase a MTM suit from $0 USD to $500 USD, where would you tell this favorite uncle to look in the interweb? Yes, I know I might be able to get something better in the US, but again, your favorite uncle will DIE if you don't answer just the question asked. Thanks in advance for your assistance. PS, I spent awhile surfing the forum and have seen the Moderntailor threads. So I guess the question is, if your uncle was going to die unless he bought a chinese suit online and could NOT buy it from moderntailer where would you send him?

EDIT - I live in the US. Thanks.

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has to be MTM? Do you live in Hong Kong and want to buy a suit from there? Are you living elsewhere and want to buy the suit online and have it shipped?

If you live in China/Hong Kong I would open the phonebook and call one the many businesses that will MTM a cheap suit for you. They will even give it a brand tag or stitch your name inside etc..

Otherwise Rugby has this suit for pretty cheap -Caruso, Half Canvassed:

http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?productId=11845462&categoryId=11827696&cp=3768060

http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?productId=11838613&categoryId=11827696&cp=3768060

If you want MTM - well wait for other replies

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
It has to be MTM? Do you live in Hong Kong and want to buy a suit from there? Are you living elsewhere and want to buy the suit online and have it shipped?
If you live in China/Hong Kong I would open the phonebook and call one the many businesses that will MTM a cheap suit for you. They will even give it a brand tag or stitch your name inside etc..
http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?productId=11845462&categoryId=11827696&cp=3768060
http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?productId=11838613&categoryId=11827696&cp=3768060

That is a great price.

Why not look in B&S for a suit? Unless it has to be MTM, and if so, as said above, wait for the experts.

n7nja

Reaction score
Sorry, can you clarify what you mean by B&S?

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

ultramantaro

Reaction score
That's a great find - on paper looks to be a pretty good deal

JTA

Reaction score

Are you certain that Rugby is half canvassed? I visited their stores in NYC and found Rugby is fused. The half canvassed ones were the RL mainline (a.k.a Blue Label) and RRL.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the price of Suit Supply MTM in the US?

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you certain that Rugby is half canvassed? I visited their stores in NYC and found Rugby is fused. The half canvassed ones were the RL mainline (a.k.a Blue Label) and RRL.

100% certain, i own two of their suits and have tried many any of their other suits. One of mine is Made in USA and its half, and the other is Made in Italy (Caruso) and that is half as well (although Rugby and FE Castleberry claimed the S/S line was fully canvassed - I guess maybe the F/W ones were only half)

The only fused jackets i've seen are a few sport coats; particularly fleece, tweed, or cheaper unlined ones.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

100% certain, i own two of their suits and have tried many any of their other suits. One of mine is Made in USA and its half, and the other is Made in Italy (Caruso) and that is half as well (although Rugby and FE Castleberry claimed the S/S line was fully canvassed - I guess maybe the F/W ones were only half)
The only fused jackets i've seen are a few sport coats; particularly fleece, tweed, or cheaper unlined ones.

I have a hard time believing that you can get a half-canvassed Caruso that cheap. What makes you think that is the maker? Also, that suit is a poly/wool blend.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seriously do not understand, why it has to be MTM, Hong Kong and you're not traveling there. And why not Modern Tailor. Since you're not actually at the store to get measured, one MTM is just about the same as another. Unless you can justify these restrictions, it's a dumb question not really worth answering.

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a hard time believing that you can get a half-canvassed Caruso that cheap. What makes you think that is the maker? Also, that suit is a poly/wool blend.

yeah that particular one is wool-poly blend. All of mine are 100% wool. You can get them for that cheap, its not hard to believe, its just hard for people who pay much more $ to believe. If my word is not good enough, being practically a sole RL buyer - then FE Castleberry or Rugby's own blog should be.

Everything Blazer/Sport Coat/Suit made in Italy since last February has been Caruso made - Half-Canvassed - and attainable at a certain point for $450 (i had to use a coupon along with an instant 25% off) or less (not including vest). RLBLs (non-staples) drop that close to that sometimes as well. I don't think its made by Caruso, all the blogs and people involved have stated that it was.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah that particular one is wool-poly blend. All of mine are 100% wool. You can get them for that cheap, its not hard to believe, its just hard for people who pay much more $ to believe. If my word is not good enough, being practically a sole RL buyer - then FE Castleberry or Rugby's own blog should be.

I was just wondering what your source was. Do you have a link to the Rugby blog where they state this? TIA.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads