• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Style (What Makes it Different than Other Cities)

erdavis

Reaction score
I am moving to Hong Kong and wanted to get some perspective (before I get there) as to what is different about HK business fashion... Is it like Dubai? Is it like Miami or Hawaii?

Any advice is welcome......

gachimai

Reaction score
I was there last month and I met with 4 freight forwarders and 1 customer. Maybe it was the industry, but no one was wearing a suit, a shirt and tie at the most. I was more dressed up than they were.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought they all dressed like Phat Guido. But to be honest, it's so hot there in the summers, I don't know how people carry off a suit. However, the A/C there is sub-zero arctic freeze which makes running from building to building with open doors a treat so maybe that's how they stay cool.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think PG would stand out a lot there. I haven't been for some time but I don't remember anyone looking anywhere near that fastidious.
I would struggle with ties in summer, that's for certain - I've found it a ridiculous proposition here in Melbourne recently with temperatures in the 40s Celsius, and we don't get that HK humidity.

HKTenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
I thought they all dressed like Phat Guido.

Don't we wish!

I'm not certain there is a Hong Kong style, although there are some scattered stylish Hongkong-ers. PG has raised the average though.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My students from Hong-Kong were by and large very well dressed. Most would have their shirts tailored, wore fitted trousers, and generally had good taste. Also, most had very very nice watches.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
My students from Hong-Kong were by and large very well dressed. Most would have their shirts tailored, wore fitted trousers, and generally had good taste. Also, most had very very nice watches.
They must be quite elite. Are you at an ivy league school? I don't know that I've ever met a person from Hong Kong that would meet with the demands of the styleforum.
_-581.jpg
This dapper fellow is the last Hong Konger that I photographed up here in Beijing.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi

Hey that's like my father in his teen years. He also had a servant. Then somehow our fall to mediocrity and working class wages led me to dress in my teen years from Winners.

When my mother told me my father used to have custom shirts, I thought damn, I'm only catching up. I did snag an old Omega from him though.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
Hey that's like my father in his teen years. He also had a servant. Then somehow our fall to mediocrity and working class wages led me to dress in my teen years from Winners.

When my mother told me my father used to have custom shirts, I thought damn, I'm only catching up. I did snag an old Omega from him though.

Is it not possible to snag illegal mainland servants for nickles on the dime? I could even have a servant if I wanted.

You must be referring to "good" custom shirts, since any old custom shirt can be had for next to nothing in HK.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
From what I've seen: Hong Kong OCBD is predominantly black suits from G2000 or Giordano Concepts or stores like that. There are a sprinkling of better styled people there (ala PG) mostly expats (like PG too).

What's great about HKG as compared to other areas around Asia is there are so many stores that offer so many styles, and of course the great tailors are incomparable in Asia.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
They must be quite elite. Are you at an ivy league school? I don't know that I've ever met a person from Hong Kong that would meet with the demands of the styleforum.

_-581.jpg

This dapper fellow is the last Hong Konger that I photographed up here in Beijing.

I teach (taught) at an executive MBA program in Singapore. Many of our students were from Hong Kong. And, yes, their custom shirts were nice. I'm not saying they made iGent-approved choices, but clothes fit well, and were of good quality.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
if you go to a high end business district in Central, about 10-20% people have shoes or shirts or their suits bespoke.

If you go to other business districts like Wan Chai, you'll prob see G2000 all the way.

You recognise the high flyers with their thick framed glasses- labelled Gucci, CC, Emporio Armani or similar.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fairness, Hong Kong has more of a suit culture than any other Asian city excluding Japan. Some of the expats give the city a boost.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hong Kong people have the means to high-end wardrobe but lack the taste to create a focused and well-executed ensemble.

As usual, Hong Kongers understood the style, but not the substance. You will see many of them shamelessly flashing Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, and Prada without any understanding of the brand or its connotations.

dizzhizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Hong Kong people have the means to high-end wardrobe but lack the taste to create a focused and well-executed ensemble.

As usual, Hong Kongers understood the style, but not the substance. You will see many of them shamelessly flashing Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, and Prada without any understanding of the brand or its connotations.

definitely so. also noted that most HKers were particular about watches and jewelry especially.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads