Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

hong kong sat till wed- shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by globetrotter, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Matt

Matt [email protected]

cool. bty - looks like I will be in singapore around 18 or so of August. any chance that you will be around?
    yeah i have a conference down there in August, will PM you with the dates later (on other computer)

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

If you want really nice shirts, Ascot Chang are the best but for nicer fabrics they're not a bargain compared to the NYC shirtmakers.

You can find TM Silverline/Acorn 100s grade fabrics in Jantzen. US $40 or so. The same quality would be $100 at Chan, and $150 at Ascot Chang. Top quality, finer fabrics are not available at the first two. At Ascot Chang a good 120's will be about 200. 140's $250+. They have some 170s and 200s, too.

3. mumbojumbo

mumbojumbo Senior member

You can find TM Silverline/Acorn 100s grade fabrics in Jantzen.

Interesting. Do you know this with 100% certainty / straight from the horse's mouth?

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I have seen a couple fabrics that look and feel exactly like some in the Silverline book. What I meant, though, was that similar grade fabrics can be found. I'd be surprised if some weren't from those two.

5. Matt

Matt [email protected]

Ive always been led to believe that part of the reason that Ricky's prices are what they are precisely because he buys up the end runs, so it is quite possible that when Chang et al buy, say, 45 meters off a 50 meter bolt, Ricky is snaffling the other five for a song and passing on the savings.

6. Alter

Alter Senior member

thanks all - does Jantzen work on Sundays?

I was there two weeks ago. I dropped in on Sunday around 6:00pm and got my shirts on Tuesday evening around 7:00pm. Sunday seems to be the worst day to visit; you have to fight your way past thousands of Philipino maids (one of the more bizarre scenes I have witnessed), and Ricky wasn't in (but David was there- he is grumpy but very helpful). The shop is truly tiny and quite the madhouse. Despite all that, I got 8 excellent shirts.

[​IMG]

If possible, I recommend visiting on Saturday (they are open until 8:00pm). The fabrics that are priced at $300 HK are pretty consistently good. All of the shirts above come from those books.

7. mumbojumbo

mumbojumbo Senior member

Ricky is snaffling the other five for a song and passing on the savings.

Cant imagine that he is that altruistic.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

so that's it, then, I will plan on going right away on Saturday to Jantzen and placing an order.

9. Matt

Matt [email protected]

Cant imagine that he is that altruistic.
    well...not ALL the savings [​IMG]

10. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

ssshhh! i will tell you a secret he buys chinese fabrics as i have seen the same 1's in the markets in shenzhen!

11. mumbojumbo

mumbojumbo Senior member

ssshhh! i will tell you a secret he buys chinese fabrics as i have seen the same 1's in the markets in shenzhen!

Quite possible, since i have seen some jantzen fabrics also on the mytailor and the taipanrow website.

12. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

I was talking with some lady who bought shirts in Shenzhen for something obscenely cheap ($5-15 USD). Problem is that the tailors weren't that great, and sleeve lengths varied to the point of obscenity, several inches in either direction. If Ricky's getting the same fabrics, that's fine by me as long as he does a good job.

It's a surreal experience being in the shop, looking through the dozens of fabric books with scissors in hand.

Those shirts look quite sharp! Are they all the really wide Keaton style collar, or is that just the way they are folded?

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

i have finally visited and met ricky in his shop in worldwide house. got measured friday morning and chose the fabrics i wanted. as suggested to me by my friend who accompanied me and who is also a long-time client of ricky, have one shirt made first and have it fitted as soon as possible, which is most probably after one day. true enough, i'm glad i did what he suggested because i had specifically asked for straight collars and the first shirt had spread collars. also had to shave off some in the chest and also added monogramming. got all the shirts on sunday, and the shirts are exact to my specifications and the price is not bad at all at hk$400.

i also saw the ascot chang and ah man cheong shops in mandarin oriental (i believe) though i did not go in. there is also a tailor in the 2nd floor of the bank of america building that my friend patronizes and i also got to see the construction and the fabric choices. my friend, who is quite a clotheshorse himself, finds their suits very well made. i forgot the name of the establishment, but maybe luk-cha can fill me in here.

14. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

i forgot the name of the establishment, but maybe luk-cha can fill me in here.[/quote]

i am nott 100% sure of of the place you mean as i dont really buy from Central just the bigger dept store and designer shops but next time i am on the island i will have a look for you - also in the landmark there is a tailors called collar and tux there stuff (shirts and suits) are well made but not cheap.
    tailors in HK can do a great job in a short time but sometime if you are unlucky and go to the wrong place you will get some crap and pay over the odds for it! cinese tailors in 5star hotels are generally like this also the cheap indian tailors that will do you a suit, shirt and tie combo for HK $888 it is best to find something mid price and then you will get a better product (this after countless failed atempts with a lot of muppets in tst)

15. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

the tailor i am pertaining to is just a small shop in the mezzanine level of ba building. but its well-organized. i took a mental note of the name of the establishment so i could share it here but obviously i failed in doing so. my friend who has quite a collection of suits from better tailors in hongkong as well as mtm english suits speaks highly of this establishment. as i understand they dont usually get tourists as clients as they are very much hidden. b.a. tower does not have a mall and it is quite off from the usual tourist establishments in central.