• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong quick turnaround

TyskJohan

Reaction score
I got my second batch of shirts (6) from Hong Kong today. I ordered them monday last week, and I'm very impressed that I got them delivered to my doorstep today--after just 9 days.

shirt-1.jpg

I paid HK$ 3500 for 8 (my 6 + 2 for a friend) shirts incl. p&p -- does that seem like a reasonable price.

My first order with this tailor was made when I was in Hong Kong, and I got 3 suits and 6 shirts. I'd also welcome some pointers to how I can assess the quality of those suits -- and whether it's advisable to order more suits with different specifications (2 btn instead of 3, maybe double breasted)?

-TyskJohan

TyskJohan

Reaction score
No, this is a little outfit in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, that I ran into (after checking out several others) when I was in Hong Kong.

Earthmover

Reaction score
It seems a bit expensive for it to be jantzen. But in any case, I think they look very good for something right out of the package, although the sleeves may get shorter after washing, and that may make it slightly short in the sleeves. But yeah, assuming they are 100% cotton, I think you did quite well, as it seems to fit you fairly well. Jantzen is a bargain at around HK310 per shirt, but that doesn't mean there aren't other good shirtmakers. As long as you're happy with the maker, I think it's a fair price.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm sure others here will be interested in some more info (does he have a website, can you only order in hong kong, what types of fabrics, what are the suit prices etc). As for the suit questions, you can search here about "fusing" and "canvassing" and you'll get a plethora or posts on methods to tell whether your suit was made in a good manner. Also, you would probably need to post pics of you wearing your suits and which ones you have already gotten if you want advise on what to get next. My personal preference is to stay away from double breasted's unless you are at least 6 feet tall and not too fat.

TyskJohan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
Jantzen is a bargain at around HK310 per shirt, but that doesn't mean there aren't other good shirtmakers.

I hadn't heard about Janzten before I got to this forum today, but I must say that what I read about their turnaround times didn't impress me.

However, their choices of fabric are quite impressive, and their fashion designs are way to much for my conservative self...
smile.gif

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyskJohan
I hadn't heard about Janzten before I got to this forum today, but I must say that what I read about their turnaround times didn't impress me. However, their choices of fabric are quite impressive, and their fashion designs are way to much for my conservative self...
smile.gif

I think ordering by internet is a huge hassle, but if you are in HK again, definitely go in the shop and try a few shirts. Jantzen's in-store turnaround time is around two days, from what I hear. Nothing at all like ordering via internet.

TyskJohan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Thanks for the info. I'm sure others here will be interested in some more info (does he have a website, can you only order in hong kong, what types of fabrics, what are the suit prices etc).

I will get back to you on that one. As I wrote above I also got 2 shirts for a friend of mine where we took the measurements ourselves, and I want to see how well those shirts fit before I'd be willing to recommend.

Also the tailor's web site is down for reconstruction at the moment...

mumbojumbo

Reaction score
I paid HK$ 3500 for 8 (my 6 + 2 for a friend) shirts incl. p&p -- does that seem like a reasonable price.

That depends on whether the fabrics are nice and the shirts are of decent construction.

mumbojumbo

Reaction score
I hadn't heard about Janzten before I got to this forum today, but I must say that what I read about their turnaround times didn't impress me.

However, their choices of fabric are quite impressive, and their fashion designs are way to much for my conservative self...

Based on my experience Jantzen is rather for the quantity over quality type of shopper.
wink.gif

TyskJohan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mumbojumbo
That depends on whether the fabrics are nice and the shirts are of decent construction.

Umkay, but how do I tell? Looking for clues for the untrained eye here
smile.gif

All I know is that they are very comfortable to wear (which off-the-shelf shirts never are for me, they are always either too short in arms and back of waaay to wide around the waist and neck)

mumbojumbo

Reaction score
Umkay, but how do I tell? Looking for clues for the untrained eye here
smile.gif

All I know is that they are very comfortable to wear (which off-the-shelf shirts never are for me, they are always either too short in arms and back of waaay to wide around the waist and neck)

The best way to get a feeling for what is nice and what is not is to go to a retail store that sells nice shirts (barba, finamore, borrelli etc.) and just touch (and compare) them.

For construction see: http://www.customshirt1.com/_vti_bin..._AskAndy01.htm

TyskJohan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
whether it's advisable to order more suits with different specifications (2 btn instead of 3, maybe double breasted)?
Also, you would probably need to post pics of you wearing your suits and which ones you have already gotten if you want advise on what to get next. My personal preference is to stay away from double breasted's unless you are at least 6 feet tall and not too fat.

I'll think about the pics, I have 6 suits in my wardrobe at the moment, so that will require a little planning. Thanks for the advice
smile.gif

However, that's not what I was trying to ask about. My question is if the measurements the tailor has taken for the three suits I bought from him (and these three are (unfortunately) identical in all but fabric) are good enough measurements for him to make me a new suit with a different design, such as a dbl breast for example? (I'm about 6'4" and not too fat, btw)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads