• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong-Friday Night

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I will have a 9 hour layover in HK on a Friday night(April 2, 2010.) I will be heading back to NYC from Thailand. I get into HK airport at appr 10pm and my flight leaves the next morning at appr 9am. Can someone tell me the one spot that I can go to get get a mini-HK experience. If this was NYC, I would suggest Times Sq. Where should I go in HK? I will hop in a taxi to/from wherever I will be going and I would just want to grab some brews and experience some of the nightlife/Friday night. Looking for somewhere that is not over an hour away(if possible.) Is Lan Kwai Fong the area to hit?

suzuka

Reaction score
you only have lan kwai to go as you're alone.

the subway is super convenient.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you know how far it is from the airport??

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, LKF is it.

Take the Airport Express train to Hong Kong Station (3rd stop), which is pretty fast. Will take about 30 minutes or so. Follow the signs in the station to link to Central station, which is all sort of one big undergrond catacombs, and look for signs saying Lan Kwai Fong. I think they'll kick you out at the Pedder Street exit and it's about 3 blocks walk up a hill from there. I'd count on about 45 minutes from the minute the Airport Express train pulls out of the station. No cab necessary.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
is the airline giving you a hotel or something?

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Are you very good looking/tall? I know a troupe of models who can get you free drinks/dinner if you claim to be a model who doesn't have a comp card on him.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
is the airline giving you a hotel or something?

Nope..no hotel.....I just could not get the return flight that I wanted so I will have the 9+ hours to "explore."

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Yep, LKF is it.

Take the Airport Express train to Hong Kong Station (3rd stop), which is pretty fast. Will take about 30 minutes or so. Follow the signs in the station to link to Central station, which is all sort of one big undergrond catacombs, and look for signs saying Lan Kwai Fong. I think they'll kick you out at the Pedder Street exit and it's about 3 blocks walk up a hill from there. I'd count on about 45 minutes from the minute the Airport Express train pulls out of the station. No cab necessary.

Tks for detail!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
OK...so if you land at 10 (and this is not factoring in baggage), give yourself say 45 mins from landing time to airport express...say you make the 11pm train. Be midnight by the time you get to LKF - which is cool...it'll be jumping by then on a Friday night with hammered finance dudes and the Russian models who love them...give that about 3-4 hours... So at about 5 am you will have to head back to HK station though. I'm not sure what time the first airport express train back is however - you will have to check into that. Should be a fun night
smile.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
OK...so if you land at 10 (and this is not factoring in baggage), give yourself say 45 mins from landing time to airport express...say you make the 11pm train.

Be midnight by the time you get to LKF - which is cool...it'll be jumping by then on a Friday night with hammered finance dudes and the Russian models who love them...give that about 3-4 hours...

So at about 5 am you will have to head back to HK station though. I'm not sure what time the first airport express train back is however - you will have to check into that.

Should be a fun night
smile.gif

Nice. Tks again. I an just catch a cab back to the airport right? May be a little "festive!"

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
that'll cost ya.

It's a long way to the airport in HK. I'd just take the first train. Depending on the airline, you may be able to do check in at the station too.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ter1413;2989526 I an just catch a cab back to the airport right?[/QUOTE said:
Not really. I mean, it may be possible, but it would cost a small fortune, and would take well over an hour. The Airport Express is by far the most efficient way to get to the airport, which is actually a (synthetic) island quite a distance from Hong Kong island.

Google "airport express hong kong" for more info on the train. I just did, it appears the first train departs at 5:50am. Assuming you'll already have your boarding pass, you may be able to cut things closer. Also don't forget, if you don't have your boarding pass, you can check in at the station before getting on the train, as long as you check in at the station 90 minutes (i think) before flight time.

Too bad I'm in HK just 2 fridays before you, otherwise I'd link up for a drink.

Acephale

Reaction score
At 5am just catch at cab to Wan Chai like normal folks do... and watch the other real world pass by from Pacific Coffee or one of the bars on Lockhart Road. And/Or have a full English breakfast at The Frying Pan.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tks again...My flight leaves(Cathay Pacific) from HK>NY @ 9:25AM. If I can catch that first train back(5:50am) I should still have plenty of time right? I will have my boarding pass from the Bangkok>HK flight...And my checked luggage should should be loaded directly on the Hk>NY flight. I plan to leave my carry on in a locker for the time I head into the city.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads