1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong-Friday Night

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ter1413, Feb 22, 2010.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

So I will have a 9 hour layover in HK on a Friday night(April 2, 2010.) I will be heading back to NYC from Thailand. I get into HK airport at appr 10pm and my flight leaves the next morning at appr 9am. Can someone tell me the one spot that I can go to get get a mini-HK experience. If this was NYC, I would suggest Times Sq. Where should I go in HK? I will hop in a taxi to/from wherever I will be going and I would just want to grab some brews and experience some of the nightlife/Friday night. Looking for somewhere that is not over an hour away(if possible.) Is Lan Kwai Fong the area to hit?

2. suzuka

suzuka Senior member

you only have lan kwai to go as you're alone.

the subway is super convenient.

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Do you know how far it is from the airport??

4. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Do you know how far it is from the airport??

By train its about 30 minutes

5. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Yep, LKF is it.

Take the Airport Express train to Hong Kong Station (3rd stop), which is pretty fast. Will take about 30 minutes or so. Follow the signs in the station to link to Central station, which is all sort of one big undergrond catacombs, and look for signs saying Lan Kwai Fong. I think they'll kick you out at the Pedder Street exit and it's about 3 blocks walk up a hill from there. I'd count on about 45 minutes from the minute the Airport Express train pulls out of the station. No cab necessary.

6. Matt

Matt Senior member

is the airline giving you a hotel or something?

7. Duff_Man

Duff_Man Senior member

Are you very good looking/tall? I know a troupe of models who can get you free drinks/dinner if you claim to be a model who doesn't have a comp card on him.

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

is the airline giving you a hotel or something?

Nope..no hotel.....I just could not get the return flight that I wanted so I will have the 9+ hours to "explore."

9. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Yep, LKF is it.

Take the Airport Express train to Hong Kong Station (3rd stop), which is pretty fast. Will take about 30 minutes or so. Follow the signs in the station to link to Central station, which is all sort of one big undergrond catacombs, and look for signs saying Lan Kwai Fong. I think they'll kick you out at the Pedder Street exit and it's about 3 blocks walk up a hill from there. I'd count on about 45 minutes from the minute the Airport Express train pulls out of the station. No cab necessary.

Tks for detail!

10. Matt

Matt Senior member

OK...so if you land at 10 (and this is not factoring in baggage), give yourself say 45 mins from landing time to airport express...say you make the 11pm train. Be midnight by the time you get to LKF - which is cool...it'll be jumping by then on a Friday night with hammered finance dudes and the Russian models who love them...give that about 3-4 hours... So at about 5 am you will have to head back to HK station though. I'm not sure what time the first airport express train back is however - you will have to check into that. Should be a fun night [​IMG]

11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

OK...so if you land at 10 (and this is not factoring in baggage), give yourself say 45 mins from landing time to airport express...say you make the 11pm train.

Be midnight by the time you get to LKF - which is cool...it'll be jumping by then on a Friday night with hammered finance dudes and the Russian models who love them...give that about 3-4 hours...

So at about 5 am you will have to head back to HK station though. I'm not sure what time the first airport express train back is however - you will have to check into that.

Should be a fun night [​IMG]

Nice. Tks again. I an just catch a cab back to the airport right? May be a little "festive!"

12. Matt

Matt Senior member

that'll cost ya.

It's a long way to the airport in HK. I'd just take the first train. Depending on the airline, you may be able to do check in at the station too.

13. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

14. Acephale

Acephale Senior member

At 5am just catch at cab to Wan Chai like normal folks do... and watch the other real world pass by from Pacific Coffee or one of the bars on Lockhart Road. And/Or have a full English breakfast at The Frying Pan.

15. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Tks again...My flight leaves(Cathay Pacific) from HK>NY @ 9:25AM. If I can catch that first train back(5:50am) I should still have plenty of time right? I will have my boarding pass from the Bangkok>HK flight...And my checked luggage should should be loaded directly on the Hk>NY flight. I plan to leave my carry on in a locker for the time I head into the city.

16. Acephale

Acephale Senior member

Tks again...My flight leaves(Cathay Pacific) from HK>NY @ 9:25AM. If I can catch that first train back(5:50am) I should still have plenty of time right? I will have my boarding pass from the Bangkok>HK flight...And my checked luggage should should be loaded directly on the Hk>NY flight. I plan to leave my carry on in a locker for the time I head into the city.

Left luggage is at city check in (HK airport express station). . . You really do not need to get a train prior to 7am to still have plenty of time at the airport.

17. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Left luggage is at city check in (HK airport express station). . . You really do not need to get a train prior to 7am to still have plenty of time at the airport.

Nice...But spending 7 full hrs in HK on a Friday night may be a lot after spending a week in Bangkok! I might be "winding down.."

18. Pantisocrat

Pantisocrat Senior member

Nice...But spending 7 full hrs in HK on a Friday night may be a lot after spending a week in Bangkok! I might be "winding down.."

So how do you like Bangkok? I've never been there but would like to visit.

19. spencers

spencers Senior member

It's a long way to the airport in HK.

Yep. No more Kai Tak

20. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

So how do you like Bangkok? I've never been there but would like to visit.

Love Bangkok. Great food, warm weather, the USD goes far(compared to other currencies) and it's a 24 hour city. And you can have a woman ever night if that is your thing(and if you can confirm that it IS a woman!)