1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong Bespoke

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fedora, Apr 13, 2006.

1. fedora

fedora Member

I was reading an old AskMeFi post and would like to know your experience. Are the tailors in HK really bespoke a la English Cut? Or are they merely made-to-order?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Some are, like the oft mentioned troika of WW Chan, Baroman, and A-Man Hing Cheong. They cut an individual pattern for each customer and if one is available, a full set of fittings is available. They will do most everything one requests, instead of sticking stubbornly to a certain house style. Chan's trips abroad, though, function more like MTM in that there are usually no subsequent fittings prior to the garment's completion.

Others are not bespoke, but MTM - they alter preexisting patterns instead of creating anew.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

And I would say few are really made-to-order, which I believe is a term used for one-offs of standards (i.e. I'd like a 15.5/34 shirt in white with french cuffs)

4. fedora

fedora Member

And I would say few are really made-to-order, which I believe is a term used for one-offs of standards (i.e. I'd like a 15.5/34 shirt in white with french cuffs)

chorse123, I don't understand what you said. Please elaborate.

Another question: How does WW Chan compare to a Saville Row bespoke?

5. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

6. fedora

fedora Member

Thanks, josepidal, but I read that thread and the word "bespoke" never came up.