Hong Kong Bespoke

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fedora, Apr 13, 2006.

1. fedora

fedora Member

I was reading an old AskMeFi post and would like to know your experience. Are the tailors in HK really bespoke a la English Cut? Or are they merely made-to-order?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Some are, like the oft mentioned troika of WW Chan, Baroman, and A-Man Hing Cheong. They cut an individual pattern for each customer and if one is available, a full set of fittings is available. They will do most everything one requests, instead of sticking stubbornly to a certain house style. Chan's trips abroad, though, function more like MTM in that there are usually no subsequent fittings prior to the garment's completion.

Others are not bespoke, but MTM - they alter preexisting patterns instead of creating anew.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

And I would say few are really made-to-order, which I believe is a term used for one-offs of standards (i.e. I'd like a 15.5/34 shirt in white with french cuffs)

4. fedora

fedora Member

And I would say few are really made-to-order, which I believe is a term used for one-offs of standards (i.e. I'd like a 15.5/34 shirt in white with french cuffs)

chorse123, I don't understand what you said. Please elaborate.

Another question: How does WW Chan compare to a Saville Row bespoke?

5. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

6. fedora

fedora Member

Thanks, josepidal, but I read that thread and the word "bespoke" never came up.