• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong - Bespoke WW Chan or Load up OTR Brioni, Belvests, and Canali's

Ohnistun

Reaction score
Moving to Hong Kong in a week.

Currently in the midst of hording a full spectrum of material goodies (from sunglasses to massage chairs to hair-gel). Now I understand that I'm not being exiled to Kazakhstan or North Korea but frankly nothing quite beat the comforts of certainty. A morsel of familiarity perhaps.

Unfortunately as my movers are coming in three days and I have to make one final decisions: Should I load up on suits and sport coats that I know for a fact I like from stores I am comfortable with? Or do I go out of my comfort zone and have a try at the various tailors in Hong Kong? What experiences do you guys have in terms of a quality comparison between bespoke suits from Hong Kong and what you typically see at Neiman Marcus and Saks?

Your input is much appreciated

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm Moving To Hawaii: Should I Buy Pineapples To Bring With Me?

Ohnistun

Reaction score
You jest - but I'm pretty sure luxury goods in Hong Kong are typically retailed at full/above US MSRP (that is assuming you even find what you're looking for)

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can afford OTR Brioni suits then you will have no problem getting suits from any tailor for that matter.

Ohnistun

Reaction score
Right - but I'm thinking quality vs value. Just because you can have suits made for under 2k doesn't necessarily make it better right? Or am I missing something

Coldcava

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ohnistun
You jest - but I'm pretty sure luxury goods in Hong Kong are typically retailed at full/above US MSRP (that is assuming you even find what you're looking for)

Pricing isn't quite as good as USA, however, selection of Canali, Brioni, Kiton, zegna etc., far exceeds anything short of NYC. The place is a designer shopping Mecca. They have at least two Zegna stores in the airport alone. There are no shortages of designers you are familiar with. The malls are wall to wall luxury brands.

Chan and others provide bespoke service that is also world class.

Save your money till you are there and then have some fun exploring the city shopping, etc.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or do I go out of my comfort zone and have a try at the various tailors in Hong Kong?

I'd go for it. Just make friends with Patrick at WW Chan and Peter at Peter Lee both in Kowloon and you'll be well taken care of for years to come.

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I'd go for it. Just make friends with Patrick at WW Chan and Peter at Peter Lee both in Kowloon and you'll be well taken care of for years to come.

+1

In fact it's easier that you're moving there. You'll have time to perfect your pattern.

Ohnistun

Reaction score
Would you still recommend getting suits made from Lee Baron given their recent climb in prices? I'm under the impression that they're not too far off from Gordon Yao, which is then again not that that far off from Chan.

So is Chan really the one stop wonderstore nowadays? Or would it be worthwhile to have several suits made at various vendors

dbc

Reaction score
Would you still recommend getting suits made from Lee Baron given their recent climb in prices? I'm under the impression that they're not too far off from Gordon Yao, which is then again not that that far off from Chan.

So is Chan really the one stop wonderstore nowadays? Or would it be worthwhile to have several suits made at various vendors

Check out their house styles and see if you like them.

There was a recent series of posts about HK tailors on A Suitable Wardrobe.

emptym

Reaction score
Unless those rtw brands fit you perfectly, including in the collar and arm holes, I'd definitely go w/ Chan and/or another tailor. I'm a huge fan of the folks at Chan. I just wish I lived there or they lived here.

Wongtouski

Reaction score

I was planning to go Lee Baron for a suit but didn't have time. So I hit up GY's e-mail about pricing and here is what I got (for Gordon Yao).

"Our pricing starting from US$1550- or HK$12,090- and up (depending on fabrics)."

Isn't that more than Chan? According to their website, Chan's suits start @ $9000 HKD.

Love to know more info on price on PL's suits, if one was to make it comparable to that of Chan/Yao

iyorito

Reaction score
Ohnistun,

There is a top notch tailor from Tokyo visiting Hong Kong several times a year for a select few clients
in Hong Kong. He was trained in Milan for 8 years and have been running a shop in Tokyo for 16
years. The quality is nothing compared to Brioni or Kiton or any other RTW/MTO labels you could get
at Saks, Neiman or Bergdorf. For what you are looking for, price is a bargain, starting from US$4,300
for the cheapest fabric and up to US$22,000 max for a 2pc suit. Full bespoke with a few fittings. If you
are really looking for the TOP quality, do not settle for Hong Kong tailors period. You are simply not
going to get it.

Send me a Private Message should you have any interest.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you get to Hong King look up Gordon Yao at the Royal Garden Hotel on Mody Street in Kowloon. That will resolve your tailoring problems for many years. Forget OTR, makes no sense in HK whatever price your means forces to to follow.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iyorito
Ohnistun,

There is a top notch tailor from Tokyo visiting Hong Kong several times a year for a select few clients
in Hong Kong. He was trained in Milan for 8 years and have been running a shop in Tokyo for 16
years. The quality is nothing compared to Brioni or Kiton or any other RTW/MTO labels you could get
at Saks, Neiman or Bergdorf. For what you are looking for, price is a bargain, starting from US$4,300
for the cheapest fabric and up to US$22,000 max for a 2pc suit. Full bespoke with a few fittings. If you
are really looking for the TOP quality, do not settle for Hong Kong tailors period. You are simply not
going to get it.

Send me a Private Message should you have any interest.

I diosagree with you entirely, there are three well trained and porven tailors (Yao, Chan, Y William Yu) and resorting to a Japanese tailor is just unnecessary one up man ship. There are of course some in Hong Kong who would do that, after all, the number of Rolls Royce motor cars per head of population is I believe the highest in the world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads