• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Bespoke Tailor

enofile

Reaction score
I realize this has been discussed before, but not exactly to fit my needs. I will be in Hong Kong for a week and would like to have a fine linen suit made for me. I have contacted the following tailors:

British Textile Company
W.W. Chang
Ah Man Hing Cheong
Baron Kay's Tailor

I had a bespoke suit made on Savile Row by Richard Anderson several years ago and it was a disaster! The suit never fit and I was unable to wear it. I am a difficult fit being short and stocky. Perhaps you can provide some help for me on whom to choose. I would appreciate it.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enofile
I had a bespoke suit made on Savile Row by Richard Anderson several years ago and it was a disaster! The suit never fit and I was unable to wear it. I am a difficult fit being short and stocky..

Really? If it was bespoke surely you had fittings along the way to ensure it did fit? And besides, you are always more than welcome to return to have adjustments made as time goes on...

enofile

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I had multiple fittings both in London and Chicago and the suit simply never fit. The representative for Richard Anderson appeared as perplexed and frustrated as me. He eventually just gave up as I did. Five thousand American dollars down the drain..................

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that really does suck. There have been recent posts on HK tailors and their results certainly AHMC and WW Chan – a quick blast on the search feature should turn up some handy info for you.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used WW Chan and I can say he will do a good job fitting you. I had three fittings so they will get it right.

I have not used the others that you mentioned in your post.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you will find that most people from this forum would pick either Chan or AMHC from that line-up; both have received pretty good reviews here.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the suit really did not fit, why did you pay for it? Seems odd.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
If the suit really did not fit, why did you pay for it? Seems odd.

+1.

While some degree of misses are certain possible, to say a bespoke Savile Row suit "neve" fit is quite the claim.

Maybe it did fit YOUR body, but even a bespoke suit cannot do magic and make you look 6'2" and 175lb.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
+1.

While some degree of misses are certain possible, to say a bespoke Savile Row suit "neve" fit is quite the claim.

Maybe it did fit YOUR body, but even a bespoke suit cannot do magic and make you look 6'2" and 175lb.

+1

I can't quite believe the OP's Savile Row story.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
I think you will find that most people from this forum would pick either Chan or AMHC from that line-up; both have received pretty good reviews here.

I thought a few people on this fora also used Baron Kay with good results.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I thought a few people on this fora also used Baron Kay with good results.

I think some on this forum hav also used Lee Baron with good results as well.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the prices for a bespoke suits from the tailors you listed? I plan on going to Hong Kong at the end of the year.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chan's prices for a two-piece suit start at around $1,100 (U.S.) and go up to around $1,500 with most fabrics. I believe A-Man's pricing is very similar. Someone said Baron Kay was around $700 (although this was several years ago--it might have gone up). I think Lee Baron is in the same ballpark. I know nothing of the British Textile Company mentioned in the original post.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enofile
I realize this has been discussed before, but not exactly to fit my needs. I will be in Hong Kong for a week and would like to have a fine linen suit made for me. I have contacted the following tailors:

British Textile Company
W.W. Chang
Ah Man Hing Cheong
Baron Kay's Tailor

I had a bespoke suit made on Savile Row by Richard Anderson several years ago and it was a disaster! The suit never fit and I was unable to wear it. I am a difficult fit being short and stocky. Perhaps you can provide some help for me on whom to choose. I would appreciate it.

While James might not be the best SR tailor I find it hard to believe it was unwearable. I think you'd have much better luck in London than with HK tailors.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Gordon Yao and Y William Yu are two other tailors to consider.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads