• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Honeymoon Help

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a number of these threads from the past but they don't really apply to me, so hopefully it's ok that I'm starting a new one.

We're getting married May 26th 2012, on the Eastern Shore in MD and would like to go somewhere a short flight away. We're both pretty well traveled, and really want our honeymoon to be time spent relaxing in a beautiful location, enjoying each other's company, good food, and good drink. We're not interested in exploring the island or local shops or anything. I think the Caribbean offers us what we're looking for. We were recently at a wedding in Playa Del Carmen and stayed at the http://www.realresorts.com/The-Royal-Playa-Carmen/. That's a good startingoff point. All inclusive, fairly decent restaurants, nice rooms, nice beach, no kids, no buffets, no techno music playing by the pool (basically not Sandals). We'd like some place like that, but maybe with a slightly nicer beach. Budget is fairly flexible. I'd say maybe around $500 a night, but if some place is more expensive go ahead and post anyways. Doesn't have to be a honeymoon or presidential suite. We're ok with a regular suite, if the resort is nice.

What we want:
Resort - I don't want to clean a house, cook, do anything.
All inclusive - would be great, so we know what the whole thing is going to cost
Nice beach
Nice pool
Preferably kid free
Quick flight from DC area
~$500/night

Can anyone help me out? Time is a bit crunched because I was waiting for my summer plans during business school to work themselves out.

rollafan

Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea for you to give us these following

1) How many nights are you looking for? Some resorts give free nights if you stay for certain period.

2) What is your idea of "quick flight from DC"? Are you looking for less than 10 hrs? 5 hrs?

If you guys want to go to Playa Del Carmen again, then http://rivieramaya.grandvelas.com/ is a great option.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those places look very nice. That's definitely what I had in mind. I'd also like to explore some options other than the maya riveria.

I think we'd like to stay for a week.

A short flight means not 22 hours to Indonesia. Preferably <6 hours. Europe would be an option, but I think it may be out of our price range.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about one of the lakes near Milan, like Como or Garda. There is a quaint little place called the Villa Cortina Palace in Sirmione right on Lake Garda. You can stay there, sun yourself on the pier or take a Day trip to Venice, Milan or Verona. All nice options and not a bad flight from DC. They have a European plan that includes all or most meals. Kind of an old classic place where you dress for dinner. I'm sure there are many other options on either lake.

rollafan

Reaction score
This is a very complicated situation. Most of the 5* all-inclusive resorts that are nearby Caribbean go from $1k / night.

I think Club Med Columbus Isle might work for you guys...

Too bad Bali isn't an ideal option but I really don't blame you. Getting there pretty much sucks.
...There is a quaint little place called the Villa Cortina Palace in Sirmione right on Lake Garda...

Looks great +

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend ditching the all-inclusive requisite and springing for the Four Seasons in the Wailea section of Maui, or at least somewhere in Maui (a Weston?). My GF and I stayed there for my 18th birthday and it was awesome. Great food, beautiful beaches, and the freedom of driving everywhere without being killed or robbed.

rollafan

Reaction score
I'd recommend ditching the all-inclusive requisite and springing for the Four Seasons in the Wailea section of Maui, or at least somewhere in Maui (a Weston?). My GF and I stayed there for my 18th birthday and it was awesome. Great food, beautiful beaches, and the freedom of driving everywhere without being killed or robbed.

This isn't an ideal option for OP as he is looking for somewhere that doesn't have a lot of children. FS Wailea & FS Huluai (which is much better than Wailea) are risky options in May as their resorts are famous for TV shoots.

I have to say I'm genuinely surprised to see one of the Aman resorts as a recommendation on styleforum. But way too much for OP's ideal budget for obvious reasons..

Last edited:

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get a honeymoon suite with all meals at Dreams Tulum for right around $500 for that time of the year.
http://www.dreamsresorts.com/index.html

Easy trip from D.C. Maybe 30 minutes past Playa Del Carmen. I haven't stayed at that resort, but I like Tulum. A little less developed, but a little more quiet than Playa Del Carmen. I know you wanted all inclusive, but I had few pretty solid meals at reasonable prices at some places in and around Tulum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads