• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

honey

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, gentlemen, lets talk honey. I started to enjoy honey when I started traveling to greece, the greeks take their honey serously, and there are places that sell honey by weight that have a few dozen different types and you pick one and they fill a can with it.

then, I tried some australian honey, and some various "rain forrest" honies - a totally different league. now I probrably have 8 or 10 different honies at home, at least 5 from australia and tanzania (iron bark, leatherwood and a few others) 2 from yemen, and a few from the eastern meditaranian. I have it with plain yogurt, with apples, with cheese, on toasted bread, and sometimes just a teaspoonfull with nothing. I also cook with it, sometimes.

how about you guys? anybody into honey?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of honey. I like to buy some whenever I go to South America or whenever I can find a beekeeper that has a hive in a specialized area (certain types of fruit orchards for example). In addition to the ways to serve it that you mentioned, I will sweeten some tea with honey. Normally I don't drink sweetened tea, but I do like tea with honey every now and then.

Modernist

Reaction score
I love honey. I use it instead of sugar practically everywhere, except my coffee.

Here in Greece thyme honey is generally considered the best. Pure thyme honey is very hard to come by. What most beekeepers do is have their beehives near pine or cypress trees, and then transport them near thymes, to get a bit of the flavour.

Besides putting honey in tea, yoghurt, fruit-salads, instead of syrup for pancakes or creppes etc, it's great for cooking. For instance, after I've prepared a stake, I drop a spoonful of honey in the pan, a bit of balsamic, and mix them with the cooked oils. It produces a great sweet-sour gravy.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love honey and would eat it by the spoonful if it didn't hurt my teeth so. I would appreciate more suggestions on how to cook with it. That gravy idea sounds fantastic.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I cook with it, I don't use the expensive honey, just like olive oil. I think too much of the subtle taste gets lost when cooking, so I use "regular" honey.

When making barbecue sauce, I like to use honey instead of brown sugar sometimes. Goes great with chicken or pork.

And of course, baklava made with honey is fantastic.

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
If I cook with it, I don't use the expensive honey, just like olive oil. I think too much of the subtle taste gets lost when cooking, so I use "regular" honey.

When making barbecue sauce, I like to use honey instead of brown sugar sometimes. Goes great with chicken or pork.

And of course, baklava made with honey is fantastic.

You are right, of course, concerning the quantity. But, thank god, my parents own a handful of roots (as we say here in Greece, when referring to olive trees), so I get most of my year's supply for free. And as for honey, some relatives or family friends produce, so I can find it relative cheap. Good thing that everyone here has some family in a rural area, still having something to do with agriculture.

When one is preparing syrup for baklava, or any similar oriental sweet, just a couple of spoonfulls may be used, and that rarely, just for the flavour.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GT,
You and I disagree about the pals but at least we iz on common ground about the food. I call that a good start!

cheers.gif
http://www.styleforum.net//images/smilies/cheers.gif

When I lived in NY, I used to go to the farmers market in Rhinebeck on Sundays. There is a guy with a red 50's truck, who rented his bees out to the local orchards for pollination. There are apple, pear, peach, cherry ........ orchards and all kinds of berry fields in Dutchess County, NY. If anyone is in Rhinebeck, grab a few bottles. It is extraordinary.

Also in the mid hudson region, there is a grocery store called Adams. They often have very interesting honeys from local producers.

A few years ago, I had a dinner party. The desert was custard served in those ceramic spoons one gets in the chinese restaurants for soup. Everybody got five spoons with dollops of custard on them. It was very simple custard but each spoon was sweetened with a different kind of honey. That was the only flavouring, no vanilla or chocolate. I forget all the kinds now, but one was a wildflower, one was orange blossom. I wanted to highlight the complexity and range of flavours of honey. I had added another twist to the spoons, in the part that goes into the mouth first, it was only custard. On the part of the spoon near the handle, I had added a tiny amount of citrus zest to the custard. Had instructed my guest to eat the custard in at least two bites so they got one with and one without the zest. Had experimented with a range of citrus zest (lime, lemon, key lime, some japanese type citrus...)

It was gratifying to awaken the senses of my friends. The direct comparison of the honey flavours was surprising to them too. I hope they never thought about honey the same way again.

-

Modernist

Reaction score
Interesting idea for a dessert.

I also use it for dressing for salads, again with some balsamic vinegar. I just let some dropplets on top, then the vinegar.

I also find intriguing the way honey is integrated into folklore and the culture in general. From calling someone "honey" as a term of endearment, to some particular cultural practices. For instance, I believe there is a jewish custom, which requires the child to lick some honey off of a tablet with the 10 commandments, as a token of the child's dedication to the study of the word of God, and how that knowledge will nurture the child. And the promised land was described as "the land of milk and honey".

Also, in some parts of Greece, when a child got a fright during the night, they had the child lick some honey off of the blade of an axe or a knife. And of course, during the wedding, they have the couple have a spoonful of honey and walnuts. Besides being a symbol of the sweetness and plentiness they are to share, honey and walnuts are supposed to be an aphrodisiac. Perhaps all that energy and nutricients just give a boost
wink.gif

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of honey for it's flavor and it's healing qualities. I have Manuka honey from New Zealand and Tupelo honey on my cupboard. I have to try honey from Oregon, I understand they are good quality honeys. Thumbs up for these nectar of the gods.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
i always bring a bunch of this honey home with me when i visit

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
GT,
You and I disagree about the pals but at least we iz on common ground about the food. I call that a good start!

-

oh, Oscar, we agree on the pals, you just don't like to admit it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads