1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Honest question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by @riss, Oct 5, 2004.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Certainly Dior Homme may be more fashionable than some of the napoitalian brands, but as for presence? I think it's nowhere near as bold or as strong as Brioni, nor as classic as Oxxford, or as intricate as Attolini. Also, likely they will be doing something completely different in a couple years, such is the nature of designer clothing, while the classic lines may be updated a bit but will look quite similar.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

(Brian SD @ 05 Oct. 2004, 4:52) (and IMO, although I know some people might jump on me for this, a much stronger / better presence than Oxxford, Attolini, Brioni, etc.).
    I like both Dior Homme and Brioni/Kiton/etc and I dont think either one necessarily gives a BETTER presence, I just think they give off different impressions. Its all a matter of taste and what people like. To some people Homme would give off a better impression because it is "more fashionable" but some people dont care about being fashionable per se, so to them an Attolini/Oxxford/Brioni would give off give a better presence, but maybe thats just my opinion.
    yes, but if YOUR opinion is that you prefer the "fashionable" or artistic style, wouldn't you then subjectively consider it to be the better presence? That is all I meant.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Hedi Slimane's creations will always be constant in that they are created by him, and the core aspects of them (minimalism, angularism) will not change. I think it is a horrible misconception that everyone has that fashion designers suddenly change what they're doing every couple of years, when if you look at the history of the designers you will find that they retain their aesthetic balance and sensuality over the years.

4. tsloop

tsloop Senior member

yea, that is pretty much what I meant. Each has their own audience and each side is going to consider theirs "better", but its just like music, food, etc, I dont think either one is necessarily better than the other, they are each just better at something different. The Attolini/Brioni is better at being a classic style suit and the Dior Homme would be better at being a fashionable suit. Its all about what you want as to which suit is better at being what you are looking for.

5. @riss

@riss Senior member

that's really true. slimane will never become ostentatious like versace or use colors like missoni. the same for jil sander, she's commited to modernism, so she doesn't do the retro stuff. that shouldn't change.