• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Honest Question about Nice Clothes

SwiftLearner

Reaction score
So I'm new here and relatively new to caring about the way I dress to the point of paying premiums for better clothes. A little over a year ago, I started shopping at Barneys and knowing about companies like Rag and Bone and Common Projects.

So, now I'm a full-blown fashion-addict GQ subscriber Gilt shopper and general trendster (flame me for my language if you must). I'm wondering about keeping new clothes looking nice and how OCD one can get.

Take those lovely Common Projects Achilles low tops in white. How can you ever expect to keep them looking like that? And how can you ever go to a party where people are drinking wine without worrying about someone spilling or stepping on your toe?

Luckily, I kind of like distressed stuff like Levi's Vintage Clothing, so there I'm covered. But for things like my APC New Standard jeans or Shoto boots, I really find myself worrying in an annoying kind of way about my clothes.

Bottom line: I want to own my clothes; I don't want my clothes to own me. Any thoughts sartorial gurus?

Max Biggavel

Reaction score
clothes tell stories

wear the **** out of them

im in college and my acne cash jeans and cps get dirty from cigarette ashes, spilled alchool, ***** juices, crashing on floors and occasionally vomit every weekend

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Keeping CP Achilles lows looking white: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Keeping APC NS looking new: No way to besides not wearing them, and no point, they look better worn in, that's the point of raw denim, if you want raw jeans to stay looking dark and unfaded buy Acnes.

Shoto boots: I have never seen a pair I liked but all those I have seen have been pretty vintage inspired. In other words meant to be worn and look worn and look kind of inauthentic when new. They're boots, beat them up.

If you can't afford to wear your clothes then why are you buying them. I mean we're not talking about sheer lanvin silk shirts or whatever here, the stuff you're going for is meant to be lived in and as said above, tell a story.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no way you can keep all white sneakers looking brand new. Hell, there's no way you can keep white midsole on any sneakers looking brand new. You can do your best to keep them clean, but that's about it.

GQ gets old after a couple of months. It's the same thing every month...the what's hot at the moment star or athlete in suits or office-wear.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SwiftLearner
Take those lovely Common Projects Achilles low tops in white. How can you ever expect to keep them looking like that? And how can you ever go to a party where people are drinking wine without worrying about someone spilling or stepping on your toe?

Bottom line: I want to own my clothes; I don't want my clothes to own me. Any thoughts sartorial gurus?

Don't bother even trying, is my advice. Nothing less cool than a guy who cares too much about keeping their clothes pristine. Someone spills coffee or wine on your shoes? No problem. Your Margiela leather jacket gets hit by booze, fries, and salad dressing? Meh. It just makes it more personal. Everything I own, I treat as wash and wear, doesn't matter if it is a $30 Alternative Apparel piece or a Jil Sander cashmere cardigan. The only exceptions are tailored clothes, which I send to a really good cleaners. And I do that because they have been able to get pretty much everything out of anything.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my white common projects in the rain and snow and whatnot, they're built to take the abuse. I feel like you shouldn't worry about it.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there are two types of clothes:

1 - those that look worse with wear

2 - those that look better with wear

aside from tuxedos and possibly some bright white dress shirts, life is better if you tend to buy stuff from the latter category. Sneakers (or any shoes for that matter) which look best new are bad purchases IMO.

PersonalJesus

Reaction score
you can sand the soles of (white) sneakers, has worked out for me quite okay.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consciously thinking about your clothes getting dirty at this level is just going to take any enjoyment you're going to have wearing them right out. Nothing wrong with keeping your stuff in nice condition, but it's inevitable that your sneakers are going to get some dirt on them. Besides, there's something that makes me distrustful of someone wearing a pair of pristine pair of white kicks.

stinger70

Reaction score
I generally avoid white shoes because i think they would get ruined in no time, and i feel they only look their best when in mint condition.

It just makes it more personal. Everything I own, I treat as wash and wear, doesn't matter if it is a $30 Alternative Apparel piece or a Jil Sander cashmere cardigan.
surely though cashmere cant withstand the abuse of a cotton t shirt. Every knit i own says hand wash only. Do my absolute best not to get them dirty, or go out in the rain wearing them
eh.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stinger70
surely though cashmere cant withstand the abuse of a cotton t shirt. Every knit i own says hand wash only. Do my absolute best not to get them dirty, or go out in the rain wearing them
eh.gif

You are right, but I wash them on the wool cycle anyway, and just stretch to dry. Seriously, life is better this way. You feel completely at ease with your clothes, and it shows.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Don't bother even trying, is my advice. Nothing less cool than a guy who cares too much about keeping their clothes pristine. Someone spills coffee or wine on your shoes? No problem. Your Margiela leather jacket gets hit by booze, fries, and salad dressing? Meh. It just makes it more personal. Everything I own, I treat as wash and wear, doesn't matter if it is a $30 Alternative Apparel piece or a Jil Sander cashmere cardigan. The only exceptions are tailored clothes, which I send to a really good cleaners. And I do that because they have been able to get pretty much everything out of anything.

You ain't got no cashmere jil cardigan dawg.

Originally Posted by snake
Consciously thinking about your clothes getting dirty at this level is just going to take any enjoyment you're going to have wearing them right out. Nothing wrong with keeping your stuff in nice condition, but it's inevitable that your sneakers are going to get some dirt on them. Besides, there's something that makes me distrustful of someone wearing a pair of pristine pair of white kicks.

Exactly. Enjoy life and wear nice **** while doing it.

East2West

Reaction score
Just relax and have fun with it man. It sounds like you are taking it all too seriously and I would be worried if you stop doing the things you once found fun for fear of a stain, scuff or mark on a piece of clothing.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy

The only real advice is get a big enough rotation of clothes, I'm not even joking
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads