1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hondas SUCK!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by JoeWoah, Jan 25, 2009.

1. chrome_dout

chrome_dout Senior member

Unfortunately the 2003 accord and 2001 civic were total piles of crap. It can be seen in their resale values for these years. I would advise anyone looking at such cars to do some serious research into the known electrical mechanical problems these cars have.

2. Squall.Leonhart

Squall.Leonhart Well-Known Member

Honda's are great. You just bought one of the shittier ones they have put out. Sorry [​IMG]

3. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

Check out some Top Gear episodes on eztv.it or thepiratebay.org. You can download the torrents there.

The SVT Focus sold pretty well, as did the SVT Contour and the Neon SR/T. They were low-priced decent handling cars (the Neon was a WRX fighter). The problem was that they didn't have enough street cred yet and Ford/Dodge killed them off before they could develop a following. The SHO wasn't a hit right away and was picking up a lot of cred when they killed it.

I'd like to think an RS would do well here, especially with the kid-racer types. There aren't a lot of performance cars gunning at the $15-$20k price point other then the Si (which might be priced out a bit).

As a Cobra owner, I've always felt the SVT Focus was a pretty DD rocket, however I like how the Euro spec Focus (RS) is both more extreme and aggressive in styling..

4. username79

username79 Senior member

Never been in an Infiniti that I didn't feel had poor build quality and drove like shit. Likewise for most Nissans although the Altima Coupe 3.5 at least looks nice. The G coupe to me has always screamed "I want attention but could only afford this half ass Nissan/pig with lipstick on car with a loud raspy exhaust."

All the people who said "my G35/G37 is better than 335i for 10-15k less" obviously never drove a 335i or could not afford it. Similar performance in a straight line, otherwise, worlds apart.

When BMW dealerships are offering 2007 335i coupes with 5K miles on them for 35-40K (before negotiation) with full warranties, CPO for an additional two years, and free maintenance till '11, I'm not sure why anybody buys anything else.

5. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

I'm not sure why anybody buys anything else.

Maybe the hassle of all the warranty work? (esp. when it takes repeat visits to find the problem) Being stranded in bum f*ck for 2 days when your run-flat blows and nobody has your tire size? And the first big repair after the warranty runs out?

G35 sedan's interior room is closer to the 5 series than the 3 series. That sealed the deal for me.

6. bkk

bkk Senior member

The '08's or the older G37? The Last Gen G35 was crap. The coupe was nice, but the interior seemed jerry-rigged with features the car was not meant to have. Performance-wise, it was 330HP and can outperform and outhandle a BMW 335i for $10K less (@ MSRP).

'04-'06 G35 coupe. And put the two cars on the track at Summit Point. Power isn't everything, and a BMW will always handle better than an Infiniti in the twisties.

But yes, the G is cheaper than a 335. And Infiniti seems to be a bit better about haggling on price, so that price differential would most likely grow.

7. bkk

bkk Senior member

I think the new Altima coupe looks quite sharp, but can a sedan based front-wheel drive auto, really outperform a rear-wheel drive coupe built on a sportscar chassis.

Regardless, it's still a pretty cool looking car.

From a performance standpoint, the G35 is definitely better than the Altima coupe. From just about every other standpoint, the Altima is better.

And F CVT transmissions. I need feedback from the car to know when to shift. Soulless. *sigh*

8. username79

username79 Senior member

Maybe the hassle of all the warranty work? (esp. when it takes repeat visits to find the problem) Being stranded in bum f*ck for 2 days when your run-flat blows and nobody has your tire size? And the first big repair after the warranty runs out? G35 sedan's interior room is closer to the 5 series than the 3 series. That sealed the deal for me.
    What are you talking about? Any 335i is still in new car warranty till 2011, so what would be "running out" exactly? In any case, my 3 Coupe has been more reliable than the Hondas I owned.

9. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    Never been in an Infiniti that I didn't feel had poor build quality and drove like shit. Likewise for most Nissans although the Altima Coupe 3.5 at least looks nice. The G coupe to me has always screamed "I want attention but could only afford this half ass Nissan/pig with lipstick on car with a loud raspy exhaust." All the people who said "my G35/G37 is better than 335i for 10-15k less" obviously never drove a 335i or could not afford it. Similar performance in a straight line, otherwise, worlds apart. When BMW dealerships are offering 2007 335i coupes with 5K miles on them for 35-40K (before negotiation) with full warranties, CPO for an additional two years, and free maintenance till '11, I'm not sure why anybody buys anything else.
    You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Did you're little diatribe of crap make you feel better about your buying decision? You might want to consult professionals: G37 vs. 335i - (Spoiler: the BMW lost). http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...335/index.html The bottom line is why pay the $15K premium for a BMW with poorer build quality/reliability when they're both so close to each other in performance and drivability? The BMW name plate doesn't confer anything special like you seem to think it does. They're both great cars IMO, but I'm not about to throw money away... that's why I bought a Honda in the first place. I could have bought the "status" car then, but I didn't need it and I still don't now.
    From a performance standpoint, the G35 is definitely better than the Altima coupe. From just about every other standpoint, the Altima is better. And F CVT transmissions. I need feedback from the car to know when to shift. Soulless. *sigh*
    What are you talking about? The G37 doesn't have a CVT and, on the skid-pad, the 335i pulled .84G's, the G37 .83G's. Nothing performance tires (which the G doesn't come with but the BMW does) couldn't fix.

10. bkk

bkk Senior member

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Did you're little diatribe of crap make you feel better about your buying decision?

You might want to consult professionals:
    G37 vs. 335i - (Spoiler: the BMW lost).
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...335/index.html

The bottom line is why pay the $15K premium for a BMW with poorer build quality/reliability when they're both so close to each other in performance and drivability? The BMW name plate doesn't confer anything special like you seem to think it does. They're both great cars IMO, but I'm not about to throw money away... that's why I bought a Honda in the first place. I could have bought the "status" car then, but I didn't need it and I still don't now.

What are you talking about? The G37 doesn't have a CVT and, on the skid-pad, the 335i pulled .84G's, the G37 .83G's. Nothing performance tires (which the G doesn't come with but the BMW does) couldn't fix.

OK, I read the article. I don't see any lap times at the course. The only popular performance numbers they post are 0-60 (which the BMW won. When will Japanese cars have low-end torque?) and the skid pad measurements which were basically even (which surprised me. Good for Infiniti). Like I said before, put them head to head on a track and see who wins.

If your decision is based mostly off of performance, I don't see how you can't choose a BMW over any current Japanese production car other than a GT-R. If you're balancing other things such as price of maintenance and overall cost, an Infiniti is obviously a better choice. Japanese cars are built for their culture: more comfort and less performance. German cars focus on wizz bang new technologies and performance.

As for the CVT, I was referring to the Altima. I have to drive that while my BMW is in the shop waiting on a couple parts from Munich (self-zing!).

PS - I challenge you to a pissing contest!

11. username79

username79 Senior member

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Did you're little diatribe of crap make you feel better about your buying decision? You might want to consult professionals: G37 vs. 335i - (Spoiler: the BMW lost). http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...335/index.html The bottom line is why pay the $15K premium for a BMW with poorer build quality/reliability when they're both so close to each other in performance and drivability? The BMW name plate doesn't confer anything special like you seem to think it does. They're both great cars IMO, but I'm not about to throw money away... that's why I bought a Honda in the first place. I could have bought the "status" car then, but I didn't need it and I still don't now.
    Yes, it is quite obvious you have never driven the 335i or any other BMW. You just proved one of the points of my post. Your experiences with driving these cars by reading magazines is very impressive. The main point of a BMW is the driving experience. Which is superior to that of a G37 in many ways and is not conveyed by a Motortrend (really.. Motortrend?) article quoting performance figures. I drive a Honda Accord to work and back. It is an excellent car for that purpose. Glad you are happy with yours -- but you obviously have no experience outside of what you have read or your dad's car regarding performance automobiles if you think the only benefit to a BMW is the meaningless "name plate."

12. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

As much as I admire the engineering that goes into BMWs, their pricing policy remains pretty fucked up.
    Even when you factor in free maintenance (figure a few Gs saved over 4 years) and higher resale, a loaded top-of-the-line 3-series model will be touching $50K.
    And it's only a medium-sized vehicle with less than spectacular reliablity [​IMG]

13. gilwood

gilwood Senior member

14. Jelly or Syrup

Jelly or Syrup Senior member

i will never buy a Honda again unless its an s2000 for under 5k. got cursed with a 2003 accord V6 with a dead transmission at 70k miles. just fucked my life up some more. thanks Honda.

15. Berticus

Berticus Senior member

Until last summer we had a 98 Civic (got it new way back then). One day it just stopped working with almost 300,000 miles on it. It's still sitting in our driveway, and I might work on it to learn about the mechanics of cars.

16. kmwrestle

kmwrestle Senior member

toyota > * as far as mainstream inexpensive cars go

i work at a toyota dealership so i see it all the time

toyota realized 10-15 years later that 1 generation of tacomas had a design defect. They didnt put enough rust coating on the frames to handle harsh northern windows causing frame rot. Now this is beyond all warranty periods as these cars are a minimum of 9 years old. However toyota didnt say tough luck, they actually ordered an inspection of every tacoma in this period. If your frame is good, they extended you a warranty to protect your frame. If your frame was bad, they took possession of the car on the spot, gave you a free rental, and initiated a buy - back of your car through a 3rd party company. As far as the value they gave you, it wasnt trade-in value, it wasnt private party value, it wasnt even full blown retail. They gave you 150% of retail value. This came out to anywhere between 7-16,000 depending on year make and trim level. The cars didnt even have to run. I saw someone come in with a 2000 access cab tacoma 150k miles, the whole body was rusted, it was painted like 3 different colors, it looked like it belonged in a junkyard, not on the street. If he were to sell it hed be lucky to get 2000. Instead he got a check for 12,000 plus 1000 if he bought a new tacoma plus all current incentives, plus the ability to negotiate his best deal. He ended up getting a brand new 27,000 tacoma for 8-9,000

another example
    customer bought a tundra
    few weeks later 4x4 light comes on brings it in we fix it
    few weeks later comes on again, try fixing it again
    few weeks later comes on again replace entire computer system
    few weeks later comes on again customer is given a rental
    master tech is flown in from japan to look at the truck couldnt find anything wrong
    toyota replaces truck for customer with identical model. however he bought an 07 when the 08s because of the big rebates. He now gets an 08. toyota just gives him the truck and he keeps his original loan
    truck is then shipped to japan to be torn down and researched

toyota really stands behind their product....