• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homophobic Friends!

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm having my birthday party at a favorite dive bar during the afternoon this weekend. The place was really cool and set aside a nice section for us free of charge. Im excited and told everyone to invite whoever they want since the place will be pretty dead that time of day. Its located in a the predominately hipster/gay zone of the city.

One problem: Some buddies I had a few years ago got wind of it and are coming from out of town. It was just going to be one or two of them but now its turning into a huge crew. They are basically your standard frat fare and VERY VERY VERY loud and the words "faaaaag" and "****" will be flying like rain in a downpour (they yell this stuff at each other..its not really homophobic. We used to pull that **** all the time, but I stopped when I grew up a bit).

There have been a shitload of attacks and other violence on teh gheys in that neighborhood lately and a lot of them are out for blood if anyone pulls any homphobic **** right now.

I'm not sure what to do. My friends are telling me not to move my party to another neighborhood and "don't worry, we'll handle it if things get out of hand", etc.

I just don't want to

a) cause a fight
b)tell them they can't come and lose about 10 friends (like I said its ignorance, not hate in their case)
c)get kicked out and ruin my rep at a bar I love to frequent and piss off my current friends
d)have to stay sober and babysit out of town friends while they act like jackasses

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell them in advance that they really need to put the gagball on, at least while at the bar. If they laugh at you or say no, you need to move to a different location or tell them not to come.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, why don't you have your party in a place without a bunch of gays, rather than losing all your friends? Seems pretty simple there seeing as you "grew up" so much.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just tell them to grow up and stop acting like little five year olds. It's your party; go to the bar you want. If they can't handle it, then it's probably 10 friends you're better off without anyway.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Get new friends, or move the party to a more dbag-friendly venue. Maybe Earl's or Finn's on the Ave would be better suited.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
move the party to a more dbag-friendly venue. Maybe Earl's or Finn's on the Ave would be better suited.

This is a good idea actually. I mean, we are meeting up at 3:00pm so it would be doable to move it if we need to. But my current friends are pretty adamant with the "its your party so we arent ******* moving it for a couple of d-bags." I really dont care that much though.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didnt you also have some issue with a bunch of friends coming in town who you thought were going to trash your place?

I mean damn, the frat brothers I keep in touch with all grew up.

K

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You'd probably be "safe" at the George and Dragon as well, they'll have soccer going all weekend and it's bound to be loud and obnoxious all day both days.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Didnt you also have some issue with a bunch of friends coming in town who you thought were going to trash your place?

K

Also, make sure these are not the homophobic skinflints who underpay their share of the tab...the worst kind of homophobe.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450

K

Yep. Actually 2 of the 5 that are coming were those two from last time.

Yea things didnt get trashed but it we did end up going bar hopping in that same neighborhood. There were some moments that we had to pretend like we werent there with them but luckily we took the group to a louder dance club where no one could tell or care what they were saying.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha cheapskate gaybashers are the worst *snap*

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Just tell them to grow up and stop acting like little five year olds. It's your party; go to the bar you want. If they can't handle it, then it's probably 10 friends you're better off without anyway.
Yes.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
Also, make sure these are not the homophobic skinflints who underpay their share of the tab...the worst kind of homophobe.

haha no. Luckily just the opposite. They will throw down a lot of $$ wherever we go.

They aren't geigh-haterz, they're just...not city folk. They don't get it and why you don't use certain nouns as adjectives in certain neighborhoods. But they use them A LOT. And it with stripey shirts. *gulp*

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Getting rid of ten friends because they wouldn't fit in at a Seattle Gay/Hipster Dive Bar (is that it's own circle of hell?) is the height of stupidity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads