• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homemade Solutions

Conscientia

Reaction score
Does anyone have any homemade solutions for 'beauty products' or the likes. I have been trying to find out how I could make Shaving Cream at home but has been thus far unsucessful in my search. There are COUNTLESS face mask recipes on the net... have any of you used them? If so, would you suggest any of them? I'm just a big fan of 'alternative' solutions and like the idea of making things myself... so this thread should be of some great use to me. I did find a recipe for how to make "Bay Rum" =========== Making Aftershaves ================= Basic Bay Rum Aftershave Formula Raid your local health food store’s dried herb section for this recipe, or better yet, if you live in an area where bay leaves actually grow on trees, fill a quart mason jar with locally picked dried leaves. 2-4 cups dried bay leaves A few sprigs of dried rosemary (optional) Rum, to cover Break the dried bay leaves in half. Fill a quart or pint mason jar with as many leaves as will fit to about 3 inches from the top. Add a few sprigs of dried rosemary, if desired. Add enough rum to come a good 2 inches above the leaves. Screw on the cover, and let set for 1 month; strain. Variation: Add a bit of grated organic orange peel, cloves, and ginger root, as desired. Shelf life: Indefinite. Alcohol-Free Softening Aftershave Some men don’t like having alcohol in their aftershave. This recipe is for them! 2 cups witch hazel extract 2 ounces rose water 2 ounces aloe vera gel 1/2 ounce vegetable glycerin A few drops of an essential oil of your choice (such as peppermint and eucalyptus), if desired Combine the ingredients in a jar, and shake to blend. Pat on the face after shaving. Makes 2 1/2 cups.

Conscientia

Reaction score
Indeed I do. I didn't make these up, I've found them on the net at some point in time and added them to a Word document... sadly I no longer have the original sources.

Hope this works out for you anyway.
-----------------------------------------

* Baking Soda Simple Solution

Baking soda works wonders because it neutralizes the odor of sweat. Just sprinkle a light covering of baking soda onto a damp washcloth. Pat on. Don’t rinse. This tip—just using baking soda—has saved me on many occasion, especially when traveling.

* Basic Deodorant Powder

1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup cornstarch
a few drops essential oils such as lavender or cinnamon

Place the ingredients in a glass jar. Shake to blend. Sprinkle a light covering of the powder on a damp washcloth. Pat on. Don’t rinse.

* Basic Liquid Deodorant

1/4 cup each witch hazel extract, aloe vera gel, and mineral water
1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
a few drops antibacterial essential oils such as lavender (optional)

Combine the ingredients in a spray bottle. Shake to blend.
Makes 3/4 cup
Shelf Life: Indefinite

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tried the uncoated aspirin mask. It is worth it, but a bit messy. Don't bother washing your face before hand, make the paste and apply to face. After that done move talk eat or drink for about 20 mins because it flakes off easily. After you are done then you can use the aspirin bits as an exfoliate and wash just with that.

An aftershave is not an aftershave if it doesn't have an antiseptic or antiinflammatory ingredient.

I have also tried 100% bentonite as a mask. Surprisingly it didn't do anything and it looked...gay.

And by "gay" I mean it looked like my face was covered with seamen.

Disclaimer: NOT THAT THERES ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

Conscientia

Reaction score
The Asprin mask is meant to tighten pores and reduce acne scarring/red marks, correct? I find that with ANY face mask, it's basically impossible to do anything that involves facial movement until it's been washed off... I usually keep myself busy on the computer... in a room alone, so no one can make me laugh (and so I can hide my feminine side from the rest of the world
tongue.gif
)

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grooming is not feminine, and pores do not tighten, despite what product labels and people on the internet tell you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads