• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Four hours and now into a 225 oven until serving. Covered in finishing sauce and tightly wrapped in foil.

505D5F9A-F232-446E-A98C-B36B96BCB1B3.jpeg
EC73CF52-85AE-4C19-8FAC-B2A0E74822F6.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wrapped with the finishing sauce also keeps them nice and moist. They came out perfect. The meat still had a nice chew but the bones were pulling out clean. I sliced them up into two bone portions for serving. I had a whole grill covered in slice coloured bell peppers, zucs, purple onions, and yellow squash and then the other with fresh corn (I cut each cob in half for easy eating.) Swept all the veggies into a foil insert, the corn into its own, and all three went on the Lynx to keep warm and covered so people could just walk up and serve themselves as desired.

It all worked out perfect. I've also purchased a stack of 50 oval plastic food service baskets and paper liners for service. Disposable cups and silverware too so next to no clean up after hosting a dozen people. Hard to beat.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going for attempt two with sous vide then smoked pulled pork. I only tried round one when moving from the cooling sheet into the bag as it was used fo an important friend's impromptu birthday gift (read: I forgot). I tweaked my recipe to include less garlic and pepper while increasing the cinnamon and nutmeg. I normally throw in some mace and clove, but I must've exhausted the supply. Don't judge the cooler, once foil lined it seemed to do well to minimize water loss due to evaporation.

Seasoned:
IMG-1387.JPG

Bathing:
IMG-1388.JPG

Results to follow in a few days.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I overestimated the vacuum power of the FoodSaver. While I would love a dedicated chamber vac, worked my way through college as a butcher/meat processor, my status on the SF spectrum is closer to pleb than baller which brings me to have a more modest budget. Any recommendations?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wrapped with the finishing sauce also keeps them nice and moist. They came out perfect. The meat still had a nice chew but the bones were pulling out clean. I sliced them up into two bone portions for serving. I had a whole grill covered in slice coloured bell peppers, zucs, purple onions, and yellow squash and then the other with fresh corn (I cut each cob in half for easy eating.) Swept all the veggies into a foil insert, the corn into its own, and all three went on the Lynx to keep warm and covered so people could just walk up and serve themselves as desired.

It all worked out perfect. I've also purchased a stack of 50 oval plastic food service baskets and paper liners for service. Disposable cups and silverware too so next to no clean up after hosting a dozen people. Hard to beat.

I'll give you the baskets+liners, but disposable cups/utensils and half-cobs just scream tacky!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'll give you the baskets+liners, but disposable cups/utensils and half-cobs just scream tacky!

For a dozen people in my backyard? Drinking? I'll take tacky vs. pulling a random shard of glass out of my foot months later due to a broken glass. And the utensils were those really sturdy new fangle nice metal looking ones, not the cheap and flimsy white things.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the payoff:

Fresh out of the bag
IMG-1398.JPG

Shredded:
IMG-1408.JPG

I'm the only one there who could be remotely pegged as a "foodie" so I opted to skip the smoker tonight with the understanding it will be a more mild flavor that I'd serve at a party. I also preheated the over, but ultimately pan seared to crisp up some of the sides for a bit of added texture.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For a dozen people in my backyard? Drinking? I'll take tacky vs. pulling a random shard of glass out of my foot months later due to a broken glass. And the utensils were those really sturdy new fangle nice metal looking ones, not the cheap and flimsy white things.
Oh thank goodness, your plastic forks had some chrome paint on them :cool:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about making guanciale since I can’t find it here, but I don’t have a naturally cool place to cure it. Would need to build a fridge and I don’t want to do that.

However I just got some Prague powder #1 and will venture into the world of quicker cures. Probably going to start with a cured duck breast recipe I found.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about making guanciale since I can’t find it here, but I don’t have a naturally cool place to cure it. Would need to build a fridge and I don’t want to do that.

However I just got some Prague powder #1 and will venture into the world of quicker cures. Probably going to start with a cured duck breast recipe I found.

Guanciale is the indisputable king of cured pork products, IMO.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Not only that I think you need to be able to control humidity. Not 100% sure on that as I've not thoroughly researched that. I sometimes think of doing some advanced cures but always talk myself down.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not only that I think you need to be able to control humidity. Not 100% sure on that as I've not thoroughly researched that. I sometimes think of doing some advanced cures but always talk myself down.

My quick research is that it's best if you can control humidity, but it works if you have a cool (~55 degrees) damp place like a basement. Maybe I'll rig up a curing fridge someday.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thinking about smoking some oxtails for a few hours then making a ragu with it. Have not decided yet whether to do that or just brown the hell out of them and sweat the mirepoix in the fond.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Browning the hell out of them works for me. Sometimes i also roast them in the le creuset in the oven to intensely brown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads