• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t mind cheating and injecting the bird with butter, brown sugar, cajun seasoning and some dries Italian herbs. I really liked the juiciness but the hint of cajun and herbs was phenomenal.

I did my second one with this, rubbing it directly onto the meat under the skin a day before the cook, and it wad so good.

turkey_16oz_cutout_square_900x.png

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm totally fine with cooking a turkey and getting great results (dry brine, spatchcock, roast has been my best results), it's just the smoking part has eluded me. I'm totally fine just never smoking another turkey, but if there's some secret there, I'd love to know it.

i never expect to get anything crispy from a smoke but possibly smoke it to just under desired temp, maybe rub skin with butter/oil and then throw in 500 degree oven for a bit while turning? That’s kind of the porchetta method, where you roast at low temps and then blast the temp for the last 15-30 minutes to crisp up the skin but obviously different than a turkey.

Im not a skin guy unless it’s fried and I think thr rwsult of a properly smoked bird outweighs the loss of crispy skin.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did the skim method described here last year and it was crisp city

Not smoked but I'm contractually required to upvote any Kenji references. Kind of reinforcing my thought that you just don't bother with smoking if you want good skin.

That trick about using the backbone for stock is money though, I'm been doing that since I started spatchcocking the birds.

Im not a skin guy unless it’s fried and I think thr rwsult of a properly smoked bird outweighs the loss of crispy skin.

Yeah that's my conclusion for chickens, but I'm not sure about it for turkey.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The backbone is also good to roast off and use for making demi. Wing tips, spines, those little useless pieces of oxtail that always come in a package...anything with a ton of collagen you can brown off in the oven and simmer for 24 hours. Save them in the freezer and make 'dat demi.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Almost tempted to just pull the skin before cooking and fry it lol.

Jeffrey Steingarten wrote about this. He was the one who made me realize that turkey just isn't that great. Anyway, he said he removes the skin and cooks it seperately.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, if anyone remembers the @GrillingFool :spam: saga of however many years ago... he was on Steve Raichlen's show a few weeks ago. Made a taco out of bacon topped with smoked lobster tails.

I saw it and said: never change.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, if anyone remembers the @GrillingFool :spam: saga of however many years ago... he was on Steve Raichlen's show a few weeks ago. Made a taco out of bacon topped with smoked lobster tails.

I saw it and said: never change.

i remember him, I think SFields used to bust his balls.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What happened with Grilling Fool? I recall digging his posts.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What happened with Grilling Fool? I recall digging his posts.

IIRC, the cool kids of this thread mocked him for his posts, which back then included a lot of bacon. I think there was a grilled crostini post he made which some people (or maybe it was just SField) made fun of it and he probably got tired of posting here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wasn't that a L'Inc sock?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads