• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can I see a similar meme, but in a Tex Mex flavor?
1616465605272.png

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I was going to make some in February but couldn't find anything lamb I thought would make for good grinding.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Peak brisket?

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm planning out how I'm spending my mid-June bonus check and a new smoker is on the radar. I'm likely leaning towards a pellet smoker because I'm lazy and am willing to trade the convenience of a pellet grill (fill hopper, set and forget) for professional output. Traeger is the brand I'm most familiar with (usage and sales/servicing at a dealer), but they seem to have suffered a reputation hit in my cursory google-ing. It would be great for owners of pellet grills to share their opinions on here. I'd hate to have to carve time out of my day to call the engineers and designers directly.

CookShack PG500: MiUSA and attractive stainless, but it is definitely at the upper limits (if not over) of the budget and the cooking surface area seems smaller than expected at the price. The SM045 has the general area for what I'd cook at once, but I prefer a grill versus an oven.

Smokin Brothers "30"/"36": This is the design of the Traeger I started smoking meats on. Appears to be also made in the USA. I consider the features to be "Standard" - digital thermostat, easy load hopper, and easy empty hopper.

Green Mountain Grills: Cheapest of the three, not made in USA. Has features that other three dont have - window for cooking chamber and pellet hopper, rotisserie attachment, and pizza oven (this seems gimmicky and not something I'd use after buying it because I'm dumb). Upper rack is an addon and doesn't seem to be anything special. WiFi compatible... seems like a gimmick as the electric fed pellet already solves the most annoying part of wood smoking.

My use cases are ribs, chickens (whole), pork butts, briskets, and burgers. I'll continue boiling my steaks or doing them on the grill when I didn't plan ahead. I'd ideally be under $2,000. Are there other worthy contenders I've missed?

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you already have a grill? I would use one of the cookshack “ovens” and I would think that is the ultimate set and forget way to smoke. @Piobaire has about every outdoor cooking appliance and I believe he only uses his Traeger for cooking veggies ?. I believe I have the smaller cookshack sm 025 and its more than adequate to feed a group of 10 if not more (multiple shoulders/butts or could probably smoke 2 full briskets)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If you're looking for "set it and forget it" what he said.

FYI, the Traeger is still my preferred for doing wings and actually also ribs due to the highly convenient functionality. That and I got the big ass Traeger they no longer seem to make and getting six racks on it is not a problem. Last batch of ribs I did on the Big Joe, and now with the Billows/Signals it's pretty set it and forget it too, but still doesn't match the ease of the Traeger.

And yeah, the Traeger is awesome for smoky grilled veggies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads