• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, when the talkin gets to pork belly burnt ends you gots to chime in!
Pork belly burnt ends and some smoked chicken wings is good eating.

tom153

Reaction score
Smoked chicken wings are great too!

Another cool snack that I've recently started making are chicken necks. I soak them in a an acidic brine with my choice of herbs and spices for about an hour or so and then smoke them until they get a nice color on them. Not a lot of meat to eat, but it is tasty because the muscle is constantly used. Think brisket vs tenderloin...

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smoked chicken wings are great too!

Another cool snack that I've recently started making are chicken necks. I soak them in a an acidic brine with my choice of herbs and spices for about an hour or so and then smoke them until they get a nice color on them. Not a lot of meat to eat, but it is tasty because the muscle is constantly used. Think brisket vs tenderloin...
aren't they kind of like eating crawfish, a lot of work for a little reward? Seems like more fussing around picking meat off the neck than it's worth to me, but I may be mistaken

tom153

Reaction score
Yea, sort of like that, although the meat comes off pretty easy, so it's not a big deal; it is flavorful though, so I feel it's worth it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Freshly ground and stuffed Andouille out for smoking at 6am in the freezing cold. ****, I suffer for my meat.

222E048C-6F07-4315-B1BF-E2AA32A0B125.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
0162AF14-6771-4788-8D91-EC58D4491A87.jpeg

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a critique, just curious, do you always use collagen casings vs natural?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
These days almost always. It's just so much easier to use and much more uniform. Also, easier to store and you don't have to soak out the salt a day ahead of time like you do with intestines. That said, if The Sausage Maker ever digs out from their Black Friday sale, I have some intestines coming to do a holiday kielbasa and some homemade hot dogs.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the Food Lab thing today of poaching the sausages (basic bangers) to 150 degrees before browning and they were great. Need to work on my onion gravy though, it was a little thin.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've developed this dinner that goes thusly:

Brown some good, as in the ones you've ground and stuffed yourself, sausage in a Dutch oven or LC pot. Remove. Sautee diced onion, garlic, and sliced coloured bell peppers in the remaining fond and fat. S&P to taste. Cover with good chicken broth and braise in a 300F oven for an hour. Toss in a hearty pasta and put back in oven for 30 minutes. The whole time make sure you have an adequate level of broth.

It's pretty savory and awesome.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've developed this dinner that goes thusly:

Brown some good, as in the ones you've ground and stuffed yourself, sausage in a Dutch oven or LC pot. Remove. Sautee diced onion, garlic, and sliced coloured bell peppers in the remaining fond and fat. S&P to taste. Cover with good chicken broth and braise in a 300F oven for an hour. Toss in a hearty pasta and put back in oven for 30 minutes. The whole time make sure you have an adequate level of broth.

It's pretty savory and awesome.
Sausages go back in for first braise right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads