• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Looks good and agreed on the trim. Don't throw it out though, use it for other stuff. Goes great in a grind for hamburger.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I salted and hung a couple of really nice heritage breed fresh pork legs in a barn at the family farm last February. My first attempt at country ham.

They are looking very gnarly at the moment but actually smell good, just like you would expect country ham to smell. Planning on cutting into one week of Thanksgiving and I guess we'll see what we have.

If it worked, I'll put a couple more up this winter and get a little "solera" going.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good and agreed on the trim. Don't throw it out though, use it for other stuff. Goes great in a grind for hamburger.
Anyone here use the KitchenAid stand mixer add-on for grinding? Thinking of getting one as we already have the mixer and the baker in the house has gone off to school. Might as well get some more use out of it.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone here use the KitchenAid stand mixer add-on for grinding? Thinking of getting one as we already have the mixer and the baker in the house has gone off to school. Might as well get some more use out of it.

I use one on my KA stand mixer. It works fine, but I don't have any "real" grinder experience to compare it to.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Be the baller you are and get a good 1HP dedicated grinder. Trust me, it's worth it. Better grind, easier grind, and way faster.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you might want to trim a little more of the fat before you smoke.

Good call.

What, is that a brisket for ants?!

There's only the two of us, it goes a long way. It actually came as this monstrous piece from Costco, like 40 pounds. Thanks Instacart guy lol.

I portioned it out, but butchering brisket is a learning experience for me.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be the baller you are and get a good 1HP dedicated grinder. Trust me, it's worth it. Better grind, easier grind, and way faster.
^ this is good advice.
I’ve looked at the companion grinder for the Kenwood kitchenmachine we have, even tested it at a friends place. Couldn’t hold a candle to what a dedicated grinder does. The fit and finish is better and the motor is build for purpose.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It works fine for normal quantities (assuming you are talking about the metal one https://www.kitchenaid.com/countert...s/p.metal-food-grinder-attachment.ksmmga.html ) If you are making a 5lb batch of sausage, like anything from Ruhlman's book, it is plenty.

The stuffer is less than ideal (like any grinder-integrated stuffer tube--always want a dedicated stuffer), but the grinder itself has legitimate plates and blades.
Easy to fit the whole thing in the freezer too to help stop your fat from smearing.

And if you want to use the kitchenaid to do your primary bind, then you already have it out on the counter.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good point about the metal version. The plastic one is garbage.

I have the metal one and have used it a couple times. I have no standard of comparison, but it's fine?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can you get by with the Kitchen Aid? Sure thing, if it's not a big batch. Even with a 5# batch is there a quantitative difference in the grind result? I think so. I can grind that batch in 2-3 minutes and it comes out a cleaner grind, no smearing of the fat, the meat/fat doesn't warm as much. In fact, I put the huge hopper and the mechanism of the grinder in the freezer a couple hours before hand so it all stays icy cold. When the fat warms that will get you smearing on the less powerful grinders/grinder attachments.

Seeing what/how OM cooks I think he'll benefit from dropping the coin on a nice 1hp or so grinder. Also, being a kept man, he has time to work with primals or sub-primals. ;)

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the kitchen aid. We were gifted it for our wedding i think... it works, but dont waste your money.

their pasta roller attachments on the other hand, are very good IMO.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yup, <3 my pasta rollers. Made spaghetti just last Saturday for fresh pesto.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads