• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
going to the pros here, been a while and want to get this right. Using a bradley smoker to do a 3lb pork butt. gonna rub the pork butt with rub, gonna smoke at 225? for about 1.5 hrs per pound or 4.5 hours. rest and pull? Thoughts? trying to get to internal of 200?
Go for internal temp of 200 not the time.

225 is a good cooking temp. If you can do it the day before you want to serve because your meat can take hours longer than you plan. Pulled pork reheats really well.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm smoking a pork butt today. I've started going hotter, aiming for 275 but trying to stay 250-300. Pork shoulder is forgiving. It can take higher temps.

I've been lucky today so far, though. The forecast had rain in the late AM/early PM. I was planning to wrap it and finish it in the oven if it rained. It's cold and controlling temp has been a pain, but it hasn't rained yet. (I'm sure it's going to start once I post this, though.)

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When CoronaStimulus2K20 checks come in I think I'm going to go electric. I'd like a cookshack but the Smokin Tex ones are comparable according to Amazing Ribs. And several hundred bucks cheaper. But **** man I don't want to also have to buy a cart. Looking for cinder-block-based alternatives.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm smoking a pork butt today. I've started going hotter, aiming for 275 but trying to stay 250-300. Pork shoulder is forgiving. It can take higher temps.

I've been lucky today so far, though. The forecast had rain in the late AM/early PM. I was planning to wrap it and finish it in the oven if it rained. It's cold and controlling temp has been a pain, but it hasn't rained yet. (I'm sure it's going to start once I post this, though.)
Why though? Why not just 225 or 250? (unless youre trying to speed before the rain?)

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why though? Why not just 225 or 250? (unless youre trying to speed before the rain?)
So I can wake up at 7 instead of 5!

I've only tried the higher temp method the last 2 times. This time was definitely worse, maybe because the pit temp was all over the place with the weather.

Next time I'll try 250 to see how it goes.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I can wake up at 7 instead of 5!

I've only tried the higher temp method the last 2 times. This time was definitely worse, maybe because the pit temp was all over the place with the weather.

Next time I'll try 250 to see how it goes.
Makes sense. Honestly, most times I make it, I'll cut the pork shoulder in half and freeze the other half (otherwise we'll have food for a week) and it'll cook in less than half the time (surface area is higher)

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to try a brisket next. Probably can only do a flat or point since I can't invite anyone over to eat it.

I'm also tempted to buy a Slow-n-Sear if they're still shipping.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm so burnt out from work I don't feel like grilling this weekend. :(

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whaddap bitcheeeezzzzzzz View attachment 1362717
Update: now on hour 2.5 of cleaning this and my other grill and smoker.

Lessons learned: covers are not optional.

For the Akorn: I've done an initial clean of the fire bowl ash pan grills and body. Im just going to buy new grilles. Not worth the effort to clean when they are cheap to replace and in bad condition. The whole thing probably needs to be repainted. I washed the outside and just couldn't get it clean and there is some rust. Overall the Akorn isn't really in the best of shape which is fine. The bottom of the body i started to scrape away with a putty knife and it wasn't clear what was grease and what was the body flaking off so i didn't get too aggressive there. Tomorrow i will have to finish the rest of the cleaning. The grill is in as good a shape as any outdoor cooker at your average home.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update: now on hour 2.5 of cleaning this and my other grill and smoker.

Lessons learned: covers are not optional.

For the Akorn: I've done an initial clean of the fire bowl ash pan grills and body. Im just going to buy new grilles. Not worth the effort to clean when they are cheap to replace and in bad condition. The whole thing probably needs to be repainted. I washed the outside and just couldn't get it clean and there is some rust. Overall the Akorn isn't really in the best of shape which is fine. The bottom of the body i started to scrape away with a putty knife and it wasn't clear what was grease and what was the body flaking off so i didn't get too aggressive there. Tomorrow i will have to finish the rest of the cleaning. The grill is in as good a shape as any outdoor cooker at your average home.
So the cooking grill has a circular part you can remove. I cleaned that and reseasoned it today figuring that because both parts are sold separately i could save even a few bucks buy having one in decent shape.

And it is! It looks more like cast iron. I could've soaked it in lye to strip it but then I'd need to buy lye.

So i saw my success and returned to the main outter grill. Got that cleaned up pretty well after about an hour of scrubbing. I go to put it in the oven and.........it doesn't fit. I will see if it fits on my gas grill because even though it would be slightly ajar i dont need to heat and stink the house. Tbh i really could get away with using the grill now. I mean it isn't like people aren't using grills in this condition....

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the cooking grill has a circular part you can remove. I cleaned that and reseasoned it today figuring that because both parts are sold separately i could save even a few bucks buy having one in decent shape.

And it is! It looks more like cast iron. I could've soaked it in lye to strip it but then I'd need to buy lye.

So i saw my success and returned to the main outter grill. Got that cleaned up pretty well after about an hour of scrubbing. I go to put it in the oven and.........it doesn't fit. I will see if it fits on my gas grill because even though it would be slightly ajar i dont need to heat and stink the house. Tbh i really could get away with using the grill now. I mean it isn't like people aren't using grills in this condition....

Get a motherfucking power washer, or take grates to a self wash carwash. Venmo me 50k for this tip.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know where the grill is guaranteed to fit and could get to a high enough temperature to season?

My akorn.

Im a ******* idiot.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads