• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since its not steak, Ill poast it here. First try at smoking with my gas weber. Hickory chips and set at around 250F. We’ll see how this turns out.
72249747-F29B-44B2-B419-9C91EA4F39C4.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Bump my first batch of sausage just a few months shy of one decade ago.

Okay, all done. Excellent results for our first try! Btw, I say "our," as this really takes two people to make happen quickly and easily. Okay, so first, grinding the meat I've had seasoning. First time using the grinder, recipe called for fine, works perfectly. All metal items had been in the freezer, and you'll see the bowl I ground into is sitting in ice.

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Next, the "primary bind." Added roasted, minced poblano peppers, cilantro, one cup ice cold water. Let mix for one minute or so, until it amalgamates well.

IMG_0258.jpg

All mixed:

IMG_0259.jpg

Next, we made a little patty and fried it to check taste. You can always re-mix with more seasoning if needed. It was great, so time to stuff it into the hopper of the sausage stuffer:

IMG_0261.jpg

Slide several feet of hog casing on, and time to actually make my first sausage:

IMG_0266.jpg

You can see the hog casings floating in water in the bowl and I think this shot gives a good view of the action. Here's my first full casing. I was packing the meat too tight so the casing burst at one point. No problem, I just filled the rest, squeezed some meat out at the burst, and tied it off and put the meat back into the hopper. You can see the knots. The other two casings filled without incident, as now I have the feel of the thing.

IMG_0263.jpg

Here's all the sausage, nicely linked. Will sit overnight in the fridge to dry, then will freeze most of it, leaving just enough in the fridge for Monday's dinner
smile.gif

IMG_0267.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I admit...my smoker has been languishing on my balcony for probably 2 years now.

The meat grinder and sausage stuffer are also sitting idle. At this point, I suspect my opened package of salted-packed casings are probably also past their usable lifespan. The vacuum packed fatback in the freezer is probably well past how long you are supposed to freeze that stuff for...but I bet it is still OK for sausage.

Keep seeing all-metal kitchenaid attachment grinders pop up on slickdeals and get tempted though. My grinder is a bit too big for small batches. Great if you are cranking out two different 5# batches on the same day...but not ideal for small quantities (both not as effective, and a fair amount of waste that gets stuck in the workings and overworked if you try to force it through). The 5# vertical stuffer would still be too big, but at least you can scoop the waste out of that thing and just use it as loose sausage.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Caught a buy one, get two free on quality chicken at Whole Paycheque. Grilled/smoked on the Traeger and all vacuum sealed and cooling for the freezer now. Will have a bunch of nice, chopped chicken salads in the next several weeks.

15578903-5113-4FAE-A1A6-509B51A95BAF.jpeg

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My local grocer had a weird supply for the chicken I used last week. No whole cut up birds (like the bulk package) and I was too lazy to cut up my own bird. Instead, the wife bought the quarters and some boneless skin-on chicken breasts (the breasts were out of the butcher case) I have to say the skin on breasts were amazing and the quarters sucked. Next time smoking I'm just going to use the skin on breasts. Might experiment with other grilling techniques for them as well. (One can always discard the skin later)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Best chicken skin I've ever had was in Hawaii at a hole in the wall Japanese place for pau hana (happy hour.) Deep fried chicken skins with ice cold Sapporo on tap for $5 is hard to beat in Hawaii.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
All the charcuterie I made. Top is duck breast prosciutto, then jalapeno salami, and lastly pork rillettes.

A520F2B2-8C20-47DC-A672-3D4577798CE9.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This is really worth the watch.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is really worth the watch.

i'm not sure what the deal is with olympia provisions. they're fairly prominent in food-related online content. and the guy seems cool enough. but on the handful of occasions i've bought they're stuff, i've been underwhelmed and left wondering why i spent that much money on some okay-tasting cured meat.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never thought I’d need a broiler to cook a fried chiken, but I’ve got one last month, Imperial IRB-36 on https://mcdonaldpaper.com/broilers-charbroilers site. Extremely convenient one. It has two independently controlled burners that have stainless radiants allowing to make awesomely tasting fish and chicken. I tried to make grilled kabobs, but it tasted way different.

So you broil fried chicken?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads