1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Nov 7, 2009.

1. otc

otc Senior member

I'll have to try finding a lamb belly.

It was the smallest packer I could find. Anything bigger before shrinkage wouldn't fit in my smoker in one piece. Something like 7.5 or 8 lbs before trimming.

Injected it with beef broth prior to smoking.

I can't quite recall. Took longer than expected. Since it was tiny for a packer, I was worried it would cook too fast...and since I was doing it overnight, I would wake up to a dead piece of meat. So I put off starting it until late and planned to not foil it.

Ended up having to foil it in the morning and even bump the temps to get it done in time. Definitely more than 12 hours. Then wrapped in towels and dropped into a cooler for at least an hour to rest.

Seems to me like the key was to slice and eat very quickly...if you let the brisket sit for any length of time after slicing, the meat dries out fast... Gotta slice a few pieces, place on bread, and hand to a hungry person.

2. dacox

dacox Senior member

Made some Thai Isan style pork sausages recently...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

This thread is my safe space.

1 person likes this.
  4. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

5. otc

otc Senior member

Just ordered a 5lb stuffer. Using stuffer tubes on the hand grinder was a pain and led to sub-par results.

Have a couple pork shoulders in the freezer...not sure yet what I want to make.

1 person likes this.
  6. tom153

tom153 Senior member

Nice! What did you get? LEM?

For an interesting twist try adding a bunch of frozen sweet peas to the mix before you stuff your meat. Really makes fresh sausage more interesting. Haven't tried this with smoked sausage, but I think that could be even more fun. Will try this when I get some more casings... If you would like to try this first, OTC, I'd love to hear what you think.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

A hint with the stuffer: rub vegetable oil on the rubber ring. You have to pop it off and wash it after use and the oil makes it slide on the inside of the hopper better and I think will increase longevity of the piece.

8. otc

otc Senior member

Got the one from northern tool instead of the LEM. It has plastic gears, but they should be fine for my purposes, and it was only $79 with a coupon.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

That looks pretty much like mine except for the plastic gears. You don't put so much pressure on it that this will make a difference. So that red rubber ring is what I was talking about oiling.

10. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Renting a new place. It has a nice big patio area and Im excited to be grilling and smoking more.

Thing is, they have a strict no charcoal policy. How can safely break the rules?

I know there are some "hybrid grills" but not a wide selection. Anyone ever use them? I'm also thinking of getting a gas grill and just gutting it and using it as a charcoal grill and have an empty propane tank just for show. Of course, the patio is out of eyesight so maybe I can just get a small charcoal grill and no one will ever notice or complain about the smell?

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Get a grillery and grill with wood.

12. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Wood crossed my mind. I assume there would be problems with uneven cooking, and it would be even slower than charcoal to get started.

I've looked at a lot of the hybrid grills. There are few, and they don't have the highest reviews. The best seems to be this grill by Char-Broil. This is the best pic I could find:

[​IMG]

Propane burners are below this tray. It heats the tray which ignites the charcoal. That's fine, but you cant bunch the charcoal up because there's is only enough room for a single layer.

This is very frustrating. I think I'm going to send a gift to the property manger for taking care of us during the rental process then just buy a charcoal grill. Maybe no one start trouble with my charcoal grilling, and if they do, the response from the property manger will be softened by the gift. I can't stand neighbors and rules. When my grandmother was alive she lived in a nice apartment complex. One of the batty old women living in a unit never owned a car, but she memorized everyone's parking spot and would look out her window every day to report violators.

13. otc

otc Senior member

@Piobaire or anyone else:

Any favorite options from the charcuterie book?

I am thawing 20lbs of pork shoulder and planning to make a couple different sausages for grilling memorial day weekend. Not sure which new ones to try (and IIRC, there are a few in the book with recipe errors).

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Roasted pepper and cilantro is awesome.

15. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Put this 11.5# butt in last night at 8pm. It's at 178 eleven hours later.

[​IMG]

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Bamp! Remembering my first batch of sausage (no homo).

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Butt done. Shoulder bone pulled out clean so you know it's ready.

[​IMG]

19. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Great bark.

1 person likes this.