1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Nov 7, 2009.

1. tom153

tom153 Senior member

I would cut it into as large of pieces as you can and vac seal it. That way when you thaw it out there will be a smaller surface area which may turn grey and stuff. Would make it easier to cut it off.

2. otc

otc Senior member

Made Kabanosy last night. The recipe was targeted at becoming familiar with collagen casings and smoking links. Don't think I like them...sheep is expensive, but these are way too tough to chew. Had some trouble monitoring the temps on such small sausages (the thermometers just stalled out) so I think I broke the fat but they are still tasty. Probably won't let them age the recommended 5 days and will just eat them with the superbowl.

[​IMG]

Also, stuffing casings this small (19mm) with a grinder tube (like a fancy version of the kitchenaid stuffer tubes) was brutal.
    [​IMG]
    Too small of a diameter...stuff kept coming back up the auger-screw and just getting smeared to shit. It is functional on a larger sausage, but basically useless at this size to the point where I threw away a bunch at the end that was just smeared mush that wasn't worth stuffing into a casing. I guess I will have to get a vertical stuffer if I want to make stuff this size.

Now I've got some pork butt in the smoker...these seem to be going along without issue (although I wasn't getting great smoke this morning):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. tom153

tom153 Senior member

Nice otc! I just pulled out two duck breasts out of the smoker. Turned out fantastic!

Check out the LEM 5lbs stuffer. That's what I use and it has been great. Way bettet than stuffing out of the grinder...

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

That's the stuffer I use too.

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Oh-- wait.

I thought you said fluffer...

:blush:

1 person likes this.
  6. otc

otc Senior member

Top piece finished first. It went over well but I thought it was a bit dry. Took it out when internal temp hit 194 and rested for a bit.

Bottom piece came off at 192. Was noticeably a little harder to pull, but the meat was more moist.

I wonder what happened. I suppose the bottom one was in slightly lower heat (the smoker was between 225-250 the whole time, getting up to 250 at the end since I needed them done) and was getting dripped on by the fat from the top.

I trimmed a fair amount of fat, but that's what the stuff I read online said to do--the fat would just melt off and would take all of the rub with it, so trim it down to no more than a 1/8" cap.

There was water in the pan when I started, but I did not refill it...no mopping or basting of the shoulders either. Maybe I will keep the water pan topped off next time.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

My Cookshack is electric and does not need a water pan. I can remember using a propane one with water pan and moisture was easily sapped from the meat (this sentence might be just for CG to comment on...).

8. otc

otc Senior member

My electric Masterbuilt has a water pan (although it is functionally more of a drip pan...).

Much of the online commentary however, seems to suggest that the water pan serves more as a heat stabilizer and heat shield to keep temps from spiking right over the heating element. In fact, a lot of people do things like fill it with sand to have a heat sink that wont evaporate.

Still though...might help to keep the meat moist.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

The amount of drying from dry atmosphere in a piece that size will be minimal once you get inside the first few millimeters of crust. It is certainly negligible when compared to the amount of interior drying caused by cooking the meat to such a high temperature.

10. otc

otc Senior member

Go lower then?

All of the pulled pork stuff I was reading online was pushing the temps that high (some were even going to 200+ if the meat was still tough). Would certainly cut down on the time...started at 6AM and they didn't come off until 8 or so.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not necessarily. If you cook it to a lower temp, you need to cook it longer to give the collagen a chance to melt. The collagen softening is what gives long cooked barbecue its moistness, but it is at the expense of cooking to a really high temp, which squeezes out all of the juices. Dry meat is just kind of the deal with barbecue, so maybe just get a fattier piece next time or something.

12. otc

otc Senior member

A couple racks of spare ribs in the smoker in preparation for the Game of Thrones premiere (also have a bottle of the collab blonde ale in the fridge...so if piob's prediction comes true, it will be the perfect beverage).

I might be having a few more people than expected, so I didn't give them the St Louis trim...left everything attached in hopes of increasing yield.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    2 people like this.
  13. otc

otc Senior member

Ribs were fantastic...although I would rather have trimmed them (just not a big fan of chewing away at rib tips). Done without foiling at any point, just in the smoker at 225 for the duration with a bit of applewood smoke at the beginning.

Served them with cornbread using the jalepeno skillet cornbread recipe from the Commander's Palace cookbook...best cornbread I have ever made. I am 95% sure I will use this recipe every time I make cornbread (although I would drop the peppers if necessary). Slightly more involved since you have to separate the eggs and beat the whites to stiff peaks and fold it in to the batter with diced butter, but it made an epic, fluffy, cornbread.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. otc

otc Senior member

Smoked a brisket and brought it over to my buddy's BBQ a little while ago:
    [​IMG]

First time throwing beef in there, thought it turned out quite nicely.

2 people like this.
  15. tom153

tom153 Senior member

Nice man! How long did you let it go for? I've smoked mine for about 12 hrs each time and they've been really good. Beter than some BBQ competition winners who catered one of our corporate parties... Only thing I've been smoking lately have been shoulders... think I need to smoke a couple of duck breasts again.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Looks good, otc. Was that a packer's cut or just a flat?

17. tom153

tom153 Senior member

Piob, have you been doing anything interesting lately? I've only made some breakfast sausage and that's it...

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Most interesting thing I've done lately is lamb bacon. Here's my last batch which was two full bellies seasoned with maple syrup and I put about three hours of hickory smoke on them.

[​IMG]

19. tom153

tom153 Senior member

Did you get yourself a chamber vac, or are those foodsaver bags? Hard to tell on my phone. What are lamb bellies like? Where do you get them?

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just plain old food saver bags so I could toss them in the freezer. Lamb bellies are very thin, so use less kosher salt when seasoning and only let them sit in the fridge for three days vs. the seven usual for pork bellies. You should be able to get them ordered in from a good butcher shop.