• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

tom153

Reaction score
Piob, thanks brotha! You were the reason I started all this :)

Kyle, looking good. First time making bacon?

Dinner tonight
IMAG0124.jpg

I've tried poaching, pan frying, steaming and a couple of other ways of cooking sausage and they turn out the best on the grill by a looong shot.
Also, the best way to cook brussel sprouts is to clean them, split in half and then blanch for 2 mins in boiling water, then onto a heated pan with some fat. Toss once or twice and then flip them all over onto the halved part and cook on med heat until they brown up. Not sure if this is common knowledge, but I just decided to try it this way and it turned out great!

Last edited:

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Nah, not the first time. Just made a couple batches to decide which one was the best for our purposes.

Not sure if I posted this here or elsewhere, but the first test run of my fermentation chamber went into the trash. pH didn't drop quickly enough and I got scared and threw it all out. Gotta recheck my formulas and make sure they're airtight, then I'll post pics of the first successful batch.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Holy ****. It is like Piob gave birth.

:slayer:

Good stuff, both you guys.

Kyle, I've not tried the "salt box" method yet, which is what it looks like you're using there? I coat and place in a gallon ziplock in the fridge, with a combo of dry and wet seasonings. Mashed garlic, mashed juniper berries, pepper, real maple syrup, siriacha, whatever strikes my mood at the moment.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Same basic idea. Just put it in a half hotel oan after dredging and add your ingredients(mine was super basic, just curing mix, pepper, bay leaf, freah sage, and garlic. You just have to be sure to flip it daily to distribute the moisture that leeches out. And boy, does it leech. The moisture is already halfway up the meat (twss) after 16 hrs.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really nice stuff guys. Keep it up.

tom153

Reaction score

Nah, not the first time. Just made a couple batches to decide which one was the best for our purposes.
Not sure if I posted this here or elsewhere, but the first test run of my fermentation chamber went into the trash. pH didn't drop quickly enough and I got scared and threw it all out. Gotta recheck my formulas and make sure they're airtight, then I'll post pics of the first successful batch.

Very cool. Can't wait to see it. Decided to cheat today and made a BLT for lunch with some home made aioli - was very good :)

Anybody have a good lamb sausage recipe? If I were to use a shank, could I just use the fat that's already there, or would that melt at too low of a temp?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads