1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Nov 7, 2009.

1. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Senior member

it's not how much charcoal you put in it's your ability to regulate temp by restricting air flow. actually, I don't what type of smoker you're using, what is it?

a thermapen is a great toy but what you really need right now is a probe to tell you the internal temp of the smoker. Or even better, get an all-in-one meat and pit probe. Or, even better (and more expensive), depending on your smoker, get something to regulate air flow like a stoker or a bbq guru.

2. vinouspleasure

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

:)

As I've said in this thread many times, nothing like dropping a 15# packer's cut brisket in at 10pm on a Friday night and pulling out a perfectly smoked brisket on Saturday morning for tailgating. It's just the easiest smoker I've ever used. Most consistent too.

4. vinouspleasure

yeah, I'm still using my first WSM, it was just $200, built to last and easily transports to bbq competitions. At some point, I'm going to upgrade, maybe an egg but your smoker looks like a strong possibility.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I use a couple of 70 buck tin boxes, and they are a lot of work but they produce very good meat. frankly, I enjoy the work, I like to be involved in the process.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'm too lazy, GT. I'd rather sleep while it smokes. :)

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

^ yeah, I sit there with some beer, a cigar, and the new york times. some days with a nce bottle of wine. not a bad way to spend the day

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

See, I need my sleep so I can eat BBQ and drink. ;)

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

:( no money. I don't think I can justify a 800 dollar purchase of anything

Maybe I'll get the thermaworks BBQ kit instead

I'm using a big cheap charcoal grill

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  10. tom153

tom153 Senior member

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I'm on a strict budget and I won't be able to take taht with me when I move out at the end of teh academic year.

Should I get a thermaworks bbq kit (two probes, one for meat one for oven) for $129 or a thermapen for $89 plus an oven thermometer for $6?. The latter seems more versatile to me and the former more useful for BBQ

12. otc

otc Senior member

What does the bbq kit do for you that two $6 probe thermometers (like the ikea ones) can't?

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

it's more detailed (tells you what the max and min temperature it hit, nice alarm features). the more crucial one is that it can take high temperatures. the $6 ones only go so high (392 F) and i've broken two of them (they fail after awhile). although thinking about it for smoking i dont need high temperature. maybe i'll do the $6 one.

i also dont have ikea nearby. i looked on amazon and they go for $20ish

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Personally, I'd save the cash and then buy a better smoker when you're able to.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

:( but i want some ribs. the nearest bbq place is an hour away. i think i'll go as cheap as possible. maybe just survive with an oven thermometer

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

How about a mixed method? Let them spend an hour in the smoke, lowest heat you can get, take them all off and put in a big container of some sort (I use a huge disposable foil pan), mop with a light finishing sauce, cover with foil and oven at 250 for 2-3 hours? Should be nice and moist and tender if you don't dry them out that first hour when they're getting smoke.

1 person likes this.
  17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

1 hour of smoke will suffice?

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I tend to think so. Others here could get more scientific but I really don't think you're going to get substantially more smoke flavour from three hours vs. one hour. I could be wrong as this is just based on my subjective experience.

19. vinouspleasure

a $6 thermometer will be fine. Invest in a basic book, How to Grill by Raichlen got me started. Here's a synopsis from his website on how to setup your charcoal grill for indirect grilling (smoking). I've edited some of it.

To indirect grill on a charcoal grill, light the charcoal in a chimney starter, with an electric starter, or with lighter fluid (vp note: get yourself a chimney starter). When the coals glow red, dump or rake them in two piles at opposite sides of the grill. (Some grills come with special side baskets for this purpose.) Place a foil drip pan in the center of the grill, between the mounds of embers (vp note: you can fill the foil pan halfway with water to moderate temp change). Place the grate on the grill and cook the meat in the center of the grate over the drip pan. If using wood chips for smoking, toss cup soaked wood chips on each pile of coals to generate smoke (vp note: you don't need to soak the wood chips). Keep the grill covered, adjusting the top and bottom vents to obtain the desired temperature (vp note: I recommend 225 when learning, 250 when you get better) . Add 12 fresh charcoals or a corresponding amount of lump charcoal after 1 hour. Leave the grill uncovered for a few minutes until the coals ignite (vp note: don't bother with this, just toss the charcoal on and close the cover. leaving the cover open spikes temps).

vp note: it's all about keeping the temp in range, try for 225-235. if it get's higher close some air vents, lower open up air vents. What you get with a better smoker is the ability of the smoker to maintain a temp with little to no intervention

if you're on a budget, craigslist is your friend. I bought a beautiful weber performer for $25 last year. It's a great grill and good for smoking. WSMs regularly show up < $100. Finally, if you have time, you can make a big ugly drum smoker (try google).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member