Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Nov 7, 2009.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

6pm
    [​IMG]

Looks pretty gnarly dude. Would mistake that for a charred animal head if I didn't know otherwise. [​IMG]

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

She got me a propane powered bradley.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

She got me a propane powered bradley.

Noice. Let me know how you like it.

4. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Looks pretty gnarly dude. Would mistake that for a charred animal head if I didn't know otherwise. [​IMG]

i'm hooked. i think i'm going to do something else this weekend. maybe a turkey. my GF's dad does them on the grill and turns out awesome every time.

any chance on getting a TOJ FQHH smock [​IMG]

5. braised

braised Senior member

i'm hooked. i think i'm going to do something else this weekend. maybe a turkey. my GF's dad does them on the grill and turns out awesome every time.

We lost power on Thanksgiving and I did the turkey on the grill, it was fantastic! Have fun with it, B

6. Piobaire

You really want to brine your turkey if you're going to cook it this way. It will be far moister when you're done. It also gives you a chance to season it some.

7. ama

ama Senior member

You really want to brine your turkey if you're going to cook it this way. It will be far moister when you're done. It also gives you a chance to season it some.

+1, this is how we do it every Thanksgiving.

8. Piobaire

Just ran out of frozen packages of brisket. Next weekend I need to find a 15# or so and give it that 14 hour smoke [​IMG]

9. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

yeah. planning on that. Girlfriend's dad gave me his recipe.

+1, this is how we do it every Thanksgiving.
    must be a MN thing. [​IMG]

10. ama

ama Senior member

must be a MN thing. [​IMG]

Better start practicing then. After you give her the ring she'll tell you its time to move back. [​IMG]

11. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

well B, at least there's an upside; you'll pay significantly less for alcohol!

Buying a smoker soon... re-reading this threak for guidance.

12. Krish the Fish

Two quick questions for you smoking (and grilling) experts: what's the word on Weber charcoal grills? I'm debating between the 18.5" models; not really sure what the difference is between the "silver" and "gold"... I was hoping someone would know more than me so I could make an informed decision. Also, are Weber smokers any good? I'm looking at their 18.5" smoker also... Is there any other smoker that I should look into? I plan on smoking pork butts, brisket, etc. (aka no sausage or anything that would really require any other machinery YET). Thanks [​IMG]

13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Weber's are good. No idea if there is a difference between gold and silver. You can use weber's for smoking if you just want an all in one type of deal.

14. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Two quick questions for you smoking (and grilling) experts: what's the word on Weber charcoal grills? I'm debating between the 18.5" models; not really sure what the difference is between the "silver" and "gold"... I was hoping someone would know more than me so I could make an informed decision. Also, are Weber smokers any good? I'm looking at their 18.5" smoker also... Is there any other smoker that I should look into? I plan on smoking pork butts, brisket, etc. (aka no sausage or anything that would really require any other machinery YET).

Thanks [​IMG]

Go for the 22" model. I have both. It would not have been big enough to hold charcoal, pans, and the pork shoulder when i did it on saturday. if you look a page back, the picture of the shoulder on the grill is the 22" model. Even if it does fit, I think the meat would be too close to the heat on the 18.5". For reference, that shoulder was 8.5lbs.

I think there is only a $10 difference in the Silver 18.5" and 22" and about a $40 upcharge to go for Gold. I think Gold just gives you a nice ash catcher on the bottom. The Silver is just a little plate that is kind of nasty to clean and get out, but it's not bad. If I were to do it over, I'd go for the Gold (actually a total redo would not to be a cheap ass and get the Weber Performer). One thing to get no matter what is the hinged grill plate. They are like $15 on amazon. It'll make adding charcoal and wood a lot easier. especially the wood

15. Krish the Fish

I was only considering getting the 18.5 because I live in an apartment at school, and because I'll be living in the fraternity house next year, I don't want something that'll be too big or take up too much space. But if it's that much better/more useful to get the 22.5 over the 18.5, I'll grab it. These are the same reasons why I'm shying away from the performer, which I'll probably buy once I go to med school and/or have my own place.

I will look into a hinged grill plate... Do I need a separate smoker, or can I just use the Weber grill to smoke brisket/pork butt/etc.? Is there anything else I should get alongside a new grill?

edit: Just purchased a 22.5" gold weber, hinged grate, and Weber's "Charcoal Grilling" book, just so I can have a quick reference on hand (I've grilled with propane for much of my life, but never really did charcoal yet). $3.99 per item one-day shipping on amazon has all of it to me tomorrow.