Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Nov 7, 2009.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Okay, will give quick smoker primer again, just for you Edina.

Cookshack smoker:

Electric, not a "draft" smoker so 95% of moisture stays in the box, only need 2-6 oz of wood for hours and hours, need to hit about 180 to start generating good smoke.

My Sausage Maker smoker:

Can get smoke as low as 130 degrees. Has a chimney with a flue and can dry off/dry out things on purpose. Close the flue and smoke will stay in.

Bradley smoker:

Smoke generated off to the side, so you can do cold smoking or hot smoking. Works on wood pellets and is not dissimilar to the Cook Shack products.

Hope that helps.

Sweet, thanks. Think I'll go with the Bradley. Definitely not a sausage maker. Yet.

Any disadvantages to either? I guess I just wouldn't be able to do the 19 hour smokes you've done with the Bradley.

Oh, and I live in a...very mixed hood. Would honestly need to lock up the smoker, so there's that. A latch could be screwed on the door easy enough.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Disadvantage of the Cook Shack is it's too hot to smoke sausages. Sausage you do a couple hours at 130 to dry the casings then 160 for smoking and you bring the internal temp to 155 and stop. Don't want to render the fat. However, the Cook Shack is the moistest smoker you'll ever find and can do those 12-15 hour smokes like nothing else.

Bradley you are stuck using those pellets. Not sure I'd do a couple of big, greasy briskets in it, which is what the Cook Shack excels at.

As you know, I own a Cook Shack and a Sausage Maker and think I have the best of both worlds.

3. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

the bradley actually runs of wood pucks which you need to buy from bradley. they come in a huge range of wood types tho.

you can set it up to smoke all day but it needs some attendance as the pucks fall into a bowl of water which dries out over time - if it dries out and there is some fat in there then you might get a fire.

however i did leave mine smoking all day once when i was at work and just had my brother in law check up on it a few times.

4. edinatlanta

Yeah I doubt I would do anything longer than an 8 hour smoke but still... If I do I guess start it in the oven and put it in the smoker for a few hours for flavor.

Did the skirt steak last night. Just marinated it in mojo for about 2 hours used maple wood.

What I learned... got to put the steak over the heat. Had one burner going and it wasn't cooking after about 45 minutes. Put on the second one still minimal progress Some websites mentioned a 2 pound skirt steak took an hour. This was a one pounder. Put it on the top rack over the heat and it went really well. Unfortunately it cooked a bit too long and got tough. Pretty much medium rare which is how I like it though.

Also sliced an onion into quarters but left it attached, threw it on the grill in some foil with some seasonings... that turned out quite nice. Have that and the steak on a kemmilwick roll for lunch.

5. edinatlanta

Pics from the other day

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

^ Noice!

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

[​IMG]

totally thought edina was manton

but then he started soliciting birthday funds for a smoker and that made me look at the username

8. edinatlanta

put some italian sausages on the grill last night with apple wood chips but the grill ran out of gas. [​IMG] Still got a somewhat smoky flavor, definitely some sweetness from the apple wood. Tasted ok.

Put on a kemmelwick bun with the leftover smoked onion and it was tasty.

Now I have a question, I went through ALOT of wood chips. I mean, like most of a small bag for the sausage and it was on there for about two hours. Any idea why?

Also, as I can't eat meat today, what should I smoke?

9. KJT

KJT Senior member

Now I have a question, I went through ALOT of wood chips. I mean, like most of a small bag for the sausage and it was on there for about two hours. Any idea why? Also, as I can't eat meat today, what should I smoke?
    Are you soaking the chips before smoking with them? Might be why they're burning so fast. I cooked some salmon on a cedar plank Wed, with a dijon/brown sugar crust. Despite no longer being a cool technique, it was delicious. Good flavor from the cedar. It's easy and cheap to go to any lumber yard and buy some untreated cedar to try it out. MAKE SURE IT'S UNTREATED otherwise you'll be cooking with formaldehyde and other chemicals.

10. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

I love cedar plank salmon... Maybe not as much as regular grilled but its good to change it up.

11. edinatlanta

I was going to smoke some crab (I like crab) however:
    The grill won't light!

12. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

Also, as I can't eat meat today, what should I smoke?

eggplant

13. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I was going to smoke some crab (I like crab) however:

I had this problem with my dad's grill. The igniter stopped working, even after I replaced the battery in it. Ended up using matches or a long-necked candle lighter for the job. Unsafe, and you can burn your eyebrows off, but it gets the job done.

14. KJT

KJT Senior member

Made some ribs for dinner tonight - didn't want to fire up the smoker for one rack so I used my stovetop smoker (pic below). Preheated the over to 225, put the smoker on the stovetop for 10 minutes or so to build up some smoke and cooked em for about 3.5 hours. They were very tender, only disappointment was the rub. I used a premade rub, which was WAY too salty. I usually make my own, but this was a spur of the moment dinner, so I just went for what I had. What rubs do you guys use?

Other question is what do you generally pay for a rack of ribs? Trimmed/st. louis style. They're absurdly expensive here (DC) when not on sale - like $17. I see that price at most of the stores around here, Safeway, Wholefoods, Harris Teeter, etc. Seems like ribs are a less desirable cut than most others, but cost much more per pound, especially because so much of the weight is bones.

15. edinatlanta

Made some ribs for dinner tonight - didn't want to fire up the smoker for one rack so I used my stovetop smoker (pic below). Preheated the over to 225, put the smoker on the stovetop for 10 minutes or so to build up some smoke and cooked em for about 3.5 hours. They were very tender, only disappointment was the rub. I used a premade rub, which was WAY too salty. I usually make my own, but this was a spur of the moment dinner, so I just went for what I had. What rubs do you guys use?

Other question is what do you generally pay for a rack of ribs? Trimmed/st. louis style. They're absurdly expensive here (DC) when not on sale - like $17. I see that price at most of the stores around here, Safeway, Wholefoods, Harris Teeter, etc. Seems like ribs are a less desirable cut than most others, but cost much more per pound, especially because so much of the weight is bones.

Obviously WF and HT are more expensive, I got a rack here last weekend, not on sale and paid around less than half of that. I think 7ish. When they are on sale, like 5 bucks for a rack (and a rack was those two sets you saw)