Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Nov 7, 2009.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

where do you recommend I get casings

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I made some duck rillette once. It was excellent with room for improvement. Probably ate it too soon, as in the next day. How long will you 'rest' your rillette?

We ate some same day too. We've got three that we're going to age in the fridge for a few weeks.

where do you recommend I get casings

http://www.sausagemaker.com/

A great place to start for all kinds of cooking needs. Here are some casings along the lines you are looking for: http://www.sausagemaker.com/21300hog...outsideus.aspx

Soak them in filtered water in the fridge for a day or two and I flush the inside of those thoroughly.

The casings I used for this batch were from a local sausage shop. Far superior to the ones I've used before, like the link above. Longer and more uniform.

3. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

We ate some same day too. We've got three that we're going to age in the fridge for a few weeks.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/

A great place to start for all kinds of cooking needs. Here are some casings along the lines you are looking for: http://www.sausagemaker.com/21300hog...outsideus.aspx

Soak them in filtered water in the fridge for a day or two and I flush the inside of those thoroughly.

The casings I used for this batch were from a local sausage shop. Far superior to the ones I've used before, like the link above. Longer and more uniform.

I made the stuff for a christmas dinner with family, so it was gone at once. I should make it another time and share less. (By the way thank you for sharing this info[​IMG])

I always buy it when in France and eat it on about every other sandwich, there. I enjoy it so much it is one of the (lesser) reasons I look forward to my skiing trip in february.

4. Piobaire

Might do a double feature this weekend. Saturday will smoke some ribs I picked up on sale yesterday and might make some smoked salami too.

5. Piobaire

Okay, having a pretty chill weekend, winding down from the holidays and all. Also, too cool to go outside and play, so what's a guy to do? Play with his meat? [​IMG] Just put these out to smoke. That mustard was spread over the entire rib to help the dry rub stick. The dry rub has quite a few things in it, including paprika, cumin, garlic pepper, salt, a pinch of brown sugar and red pepper flakes. I will smoke them at 180 for an hour, pop it up to 275 for two hours. Then each piece will get a squirt of melted butter mixed with brown sugar, Tiger sauce and maple syrup, wrapped in foil, and popped in for another hour at 275. If I was doing "competition ribs," I would then unwrap, put on a glaze, and do another 15 minutes to harden the glaze. No competition, no glaze for these. Oh, notice I can just lay plastic down on the granite and use that for a work surface? They needed a little more thawing too, so let sit for an hour meat side down. Granite works just like one of those thawing metal plate thingies. [​IMG] [​IMG] I'll edit in finished pics. Later today going to cube 4# pork loin (on sale at CostCo for $1.20/lbs!) and 1# back fat. Will season for smoked salami and sit in fridge overnight. Grind, stuff, smoke tomorrow.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Lol. Ican lay plastic down on my table and use it as a work surface too, but it's not granite.

7. Piobaire

Lol. Ican lay plastic down on my table and use it as a work surface too, but it's not granite.

Don't be a h8ter. The thing about the granite is the plastic clings to it. It won't do that to most counter top materials I've encountered. Makes things easy when you have a big prep like this. Just peeled it up and no clean up from the overflow of dry rub, mustard, etc.

8. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Senior member

pio,

you are a hero.

9. Piobaire

pio,

you are a hero.

[​IMG]

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Hey, I agree man. You are a hero.

11. Piobaire

Oh man, they were so good. This is the best method for smoking ribs I have tried yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Ribs look delicious. You can really tell how much the granite helped.

[​IMG]

14. Piobaire

Ribs look delicious. You can really tell how much the granite helped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Oh man, they were so good. This is the best method for smoking ribs I have tried yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] this is making me want a smoker. those look so damn good

i need some bbq in mah belly soon