Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Nov 7, 2009.

1. KJT

KJT Senior member

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

What do you think about the grinder attachment for a kitchenaid mixer? My batches will probably be a bit smaller so hopefully it will suffice. I haven't opened it yet, and can still return it.

I've not done it that way but everything I have read says to not stuff directly out of the grinder. First, you need to add liquid to the ground meat and then second you need to mix it to get the primary bind.

However, it's probably better than commercial sausage.

3. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

i think the sausage attachment goes onto the grinder, uses the same screw mechanism.

pio inspired me to order some skins and salts so i will give it a go tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

4. KJT

KJT Senior member

I've not done it that way but everything I have read says to not stuff directly out of the grinder. First, you need to add liquid to the ground meat and then second you need to mix it to get the primary bind.

However, it's probably better than commercial sausage.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's just a grinder that uses the kitchenaid motor to power it.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-FGA...8&sr=8-1-spell

I have a stand-alone stuffer that looks exactly like the one that you have.

5. Piobaire

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's just a grinder that uses the kitchenaid motor to power it.

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-FGA...8&sr=8-1-spell

I have a stand-alone stuffer that looks exactly like the one that you have.

Well, all the tequila I've had tonight is probably not good for reading comprehension too. [​IMG]

Should work well. Remember the "primary bind," i.e. mix up some ice cold liquid in it before stuffing.

6. Piobaire

Sausage!

[​IMG]

Fried up a little of the meat to check the seasoning. Yum. That smoked paprika really adds a nice depth to it. Fennel is just the right level.

7. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

for chrissakes...isnt it about time someone makes a parody of this thread in DT?!?! Cant help but laugh at this...teh gheyness...it makes me head spin....hahahaha

8. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

Looks great Pio. It's reminding me that I need to make some sausages as well.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Piob's sausage is beautiful, but I haven't tasted it. I can personally attest that Iammatt's sausage tastes wonderful.

10. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I have a sausage party planned for this weekend. Anyone care to share a recipe for raw sausage?

11. KJT

KJT Senior member

Pio - fresh casing or cellophane? If fresh casing are unavailable, any suggestions for the right type of manmade casings for fresh sausage?

12. Alter

Alter Senior member

Nice looking sausage there, Pio.

13. Piobaire

Guys, thanks for compliments. The taste is very good. Glad I added the garlic and changed a few things from Ruhlman's recipe. Texture is incredible. You know, texture is so different between commercial vs. hand made.

Pio - fresh casing or cellophane? If fresh casing are unavailable, any suggestions for the right type of manmade casings for fresh sausage?

I almost always use intestines. I've used collagen before. There is nothing wrong with it. For some things, like thin meat sticks you're going to smoke, it's just easiest to use. I've also used it for big chubs, like 3" diameter salami. Nice and easy to use. These were commercial grade natural intestines. A big difference in terms of length (usually 3 for 5# batch, this used about 1/2 of one intestine) and much more uniform in terms of diameter. About twice the price but very much worth it IMO.

14. sonick

sonick Senior member

for chrissakes...isnt it about time someone makes a parody of this thread in DT?!?! Cant help but laugh at this...teh gheyness...it makes me head spin....hahahaha

Sausage is no joking matter [​IMG]