Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Nov 7, 2009.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Well...I forgot my camera.

But over the 4th, I was at my grandparents cottage in MI (on the lake). My grandpa built a permanent smoker many years ago. It is a cement structure underground with a fire-door and loading area on the side of a hill. This feeds up to an old-school wooden barrel where the smoking actually takes place, covered by what appears to just be an old weber lid.

For the 4th, he smoked a pair of pork shoulders to make pulled pork sandwiches, but I have had many other things come out of that smoker (afaik, as long as you can fit it in a barrel, it can be smoked by that smoker)

Will try to get pics next time I go up there for a weekend, but there may not be any actual smoking going on at the time.

2. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

That sounds neat. I would love to see pics.

3. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Ran into her at the SF Farmer's Market:

[​IMG]

4. ektaylor

ektaylor Senior member

Ran into her at the SF Farmer's Market:

[​IMG]

Alice Waters hasn't aged well.

5. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Alice Waters hasn't aged well.

Hey now... that's the sausage queen of Berkeley who would probably be more respected than Waters around these parts. [​IMG]

6. otc

otc Senior member

What should I do with 4ft or so of bratworst?

I was at the meat packers and I couldn't resist getting a chunk of sausage...so I ended up with a few feet of brat.

Can I twist it in to links, coil up and freeze? I bought so much other meat that there is no way I am eating almost 5lbs of brats anytime soon but it seems like links would be easier to deal with. Do you just twist them every 6 inches or so or is there something I am missing?

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

It's time again. Smoked brisket.

[​IMG]

8. Piobaire

Okay, so 13 hours in the smoker to get internal to 190. Pulled out, wrapped in foil with a bourbon/orange juice finishing sauce that I just created, another hour in the smoker wrapped in foil. Finished results:

[​IMG]

A sample. Very good! The "bark" is nicely spiced and the finishing sauce has soaked in and added another layer of flavour.

[​IMG]

9. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

10. Piobaire

that looks so good!

[​IMG]

11. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Omg my mouth is watering.

12. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

13. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I'm not going to lie, I missed this thread.

That brisket looks delicious.

14. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

pio, did i read that you use a bradley smoker? how do you find it?

im wanting to do some cold smoking and was wondering how much heat the unit put out? im toying with getting the smoke generating unit and attaching it to an old wine barrel with via a decent length of chimney tube to do the cooling in.

i was wondering if i should just get the digitally controlled unit with the smoke generator attached on the side in case i want to do hot smoking down the track. my only concern is where i live the summers can be pretty hot (~100F max during days) so any additional heat will probably make cold smoking impossible even at night.

15. Piobaire

pio, did i read that you use a bradley smoker? how do you find it?

im wanting to do some cold smoking and was wondering how much heat the unit put out? im toying with getting the smoke generating unit and attaching it to an old wine barrel with via a decent length of chimney tube to do the cooling in.

i was wondering if i should just get the digitally controlled unit with the smoke generator attached on the side in case i want to do hot smoking down the track. my only concern is where i live the summers can be pretty hot (~100F max during days) so any additional heat will probably make cold smoking impossible even at night.

Here's a repost with a pic of both my smokers, neither of which is a Bradley. Cold smoking at home is the hardest to do but I think your method will work. The right hand smoker will smoke at about 120 degrees, the left hand one requires about 170 to get smoking. They're for two different styles though.

Okay, finally getting around to trying out that new smoker of mine. This is the one I bought from www.sausagemaker.com and is better suited for sausage smoking, as it can function at lower temps than my Cook Shack Smokette. Also, the Sausage Maker one has a chimney type flue, so you can get airflow, thus drying out items. This is important for many types of meats. Just normal sausage needs the casing dried, to develop a pellicle, so the smoke will stick. If you remember, the Cook Shack is specifically designed to retain moisture, perfect for the 14 hour brisket type smoking.

So, here's the set up now:

[​IMG]

You can see all the space inside the Sausage Maker, perfect for hanging sausage links or 24" chubs, like salami:

[​IMG]

You can see the wood chips/sawdust sit directly on an electric oven type burner. Here it is, the slab of bacon I cured all week, ready to take its first smoke:

[​IMG]

Nicely set up, dual thermometer, one for the item being smoked, the other ambient inside:

[​IMG]

Big con vs. the Smokette: rheostat control vs. a digital setting. It's so nice to set say, 225 degrees on the Smokette and it takes care of things. I'm having to play with the rheostat on this one.

Will update with bacon pic when done.

ADDED:

Getting close. Thermometer read 150. Rule #1: check in multiple places. Have to keep going. But boy is it looking tasty:

[​IMG]

ADDED:

Okay, it's all done. What a fantastic smoke it got. Kept the temp nice and low, took a "heavy smudge" as the pros say.

Skin side (skin's off, it's where the fat sits):

[​IMG]

Interior side:

[​IMG]

A slice off for tasting. Really shows the smoke ring. It was so eff'ing good:

[​IMG]

And all sliced up for lardon goodness.

[​IMG]