• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
drool.gif

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought an 8 1/2 pound pork belly. Going to get it curing over the weekend. This will be my first time attempting this process. I specifically want to make small pieces of crispy pork belly to serve with pastas. Is there a book or a recipe you guys would suggest? I am looking at you Pio.
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wallcloud
Bought an 8 1/2 pound pork belly. Going to get it curing over the weekend. This will be my first time attempting this process. I specifically want to make small pieces of crispy pork belly to serve with pastas. Is there a book or a recipe you guys would suggest? I am looking at you Pio.
smile.gif

That is a huge belly! THE book is Charcuterie. Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Cr...4402530&sr=1-1

You might want to cut that into smaller pieces. I cure 3'ish # ones in the gallon ziplock bags. Search this thread and I'm sure I put up the basic cure recipe.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks. I am very excited about giving it a go. I think I will cut it in half and try a couple methods.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yeah, braised pork belly is nine kinds of heaven.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have 2 2 pound belly pieces brining right now.
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Trying something new...

I have a 2.5# belly in the freezer. I'm thinking I need to braise it next weekend...and make my duck confit.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Have you guys ever done pork belly with the skin on? I picked up 4lbs of skin-on pork belly four days ago and found the texture to be incredible with the tenderness of the belly.

I brined it for about 30 hours in a simple sugar/salt solution. Then, broiled it at 500F for 5-10 minutes to get the lightly scored skin crisp. I let it rest at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before braising it with sage, garlic and white wine for 4 hours. The skin seemed to stay intact while imparting a bit of those mallard flavors into the braising liquid. After the braise was finished, I pressed it with a weighted pan in the fridge for around 4 hours. Finally, the set belly was cut into individual pieces, quickly fried in rendered out pork fat from the night before, and finished in a 450 oven for ~8 minutes to serve.

I'm not sure broiling it first was the best idea. Maybe it would have been best to get an initial sear in oil/pork fat before braising while simply finishing it off in the oven? The skin was great, but I think it could have been more 'crackly' if it spent more time in the oven at the end rather than in oil. A creme brulee torch would have been great here.

If you guys have ever dealt with skin like this, I'd be curious to know what you experienced.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone ever try pork cheek? They use it in certain ramen, but I can't for the life of me find it anywhere.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to working on my pork belly. Drohmans Pork Confit recipe: Just out of the oven sitting in clear duck fat. I wish you could smell this.
Africaandother228.jpg
Same recipe after chilling for a night.
Africaandother011.jpg
Also makin bacon! Going to smoke the bacon on my green egg.
Africaandother041.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Noice! Great work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads